Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock
Interstate.
+1

I just put one in last year. The previous interstate battery lasted 6 years.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I'm sure your right about the price but mine had been in about five years and still cranks very well.
The OE (Moll?) battery in my 02 Boxster lasted 6+ years only dying when I left the car parked a week with something plugged into the OBD2 port.

Replaced the OE battery with another OE battery though larger as Porsche had upgraded the battery size/capacity.

This replacement battery was dead in just a few years. Replaced it with an Interstate. So far so good.

The Interstate battery in the Turbo died. Replaced it with another Interstate and 7 months later this battery was dead and replaced this with another Interstate.

My cars get used almost daily -- I alternate between the cars -- and when they do get used they get driven a lot. 60+ miles per day or more.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used every battery out there at one time or the other and have had good luck with most. My 928 seemed to eat a battery a year. A battery does last better with a frequently driven car in my opinion. I have a few vehicles and have been very busy with my home resto so my 996tt has only been driven 250mi in the last year but that will change soon I promise lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The OE (Moll?) battery in my 02 Boxster lasted 6+ years only dying when I left the car parked a week with something plugged into the OBD2 port.

Replaced the OE battery with another OE battery though larger as Porsche had upgraded the battery size/capacity.

This replacement battery was dead in just a few years. Replaced it with an Interstate. So far so good.

The Interstate battery in the Turbo died. Replaced it with another Interstate and 7 months later this battery was dead and replaced this with another Interstate.

My cars get used almost daily -- I alternate between the cars -- and when they do get used they get driven a lot. 60+ miles per day or more.
Did I read your post correctly ? Your interstate battery has only last a few months ? I understand you use your car as a DD but so do I.....

My Optima battery lasted 3 years as a daily driver, and my Odysey battery, which is better, and much lighter, has been perfectly fine as DD, Track and sometimes the car parked not moving because i'm out of town... No need to change battery every few months like you have.

I bought the car in 2005 - OEM Battery- Lasted 1.5 years. DDing the car.
2007, battery replaced with Optima Red, DDing the car, lasted 4 years.

2011, battery replaced with Odyssey battery thus far, it has been the best battery I have used. No issues cranking the car on if I have been away, for weeks and need to start her for the first time. Lightest of the bunch to, it makes it easy to install vs carrying 60lbs and trying not to damage my car. I had a lot of issues with the oem. Worse.Battery.Ever.

You and I live in similar climates as well. I live in Morgan Hill, 50 miles south of you.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
+1.
+2 for interstate. just had one installed a couple of weeks ago.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Autozone has a private label brand that is made by Bosch and is identical to the original Porsche branded Bosch in every way except the labeling.

It was about $100 last year when I bought one to replace the original battery.

That said there are plenty of good choices.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

in LA, porsche dealers replace with either an oem porsche branded bosch or an interstate. i have had the optima redtop and it's a bit lighter..but smaller. don't think it fits as well as the oem(?)

but the most important point which was already made is to keep whatever battery you get trickle charged. perhaps not daily, but at least once in awhile, esp if you aren't driving a lot.. and even then.

car runs ( believe it or not ) noticeably better with well charged battery too.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use an optima red top...no issues. Agree with the trickle statement by 02996ttx50 above.

Optima bracket, 50 bucks...yellow dog . 10 more to ship it.

http://www.yellowdogmotorsports.com/details.php?id=93

Optima 34R via amazon.com for 138 total (free shipping if you are an amazon prime customer...) shipped.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, the Interstate battery before the one currently in my Turbo lasted just 7 months. 7 months of near daily use. I'm not hard on a battery at all. Save for the Boxster's battery I can't recall ever having to replace a battery in a car before. I drove my '96 Mustang until fall of '01 and racked up over 120K miles in that time and I sold the Mustang with its original battery. Similarly for my 02 VW Golf. I sold it in '07 with around 120K miles on the car and it was on its original battery.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, the Interstate battery before the one currently in my Turbo lasted just 7 months. 7 months of near daily use. I'm not hard on a battery at all. .
wow, that's crazy. obviously it was/is? warrantied. the porsche dealership once replaced an interstate battery for me while the car was already in having something done and as i was about to be handed an an invoice with an additional 275$?!? on it, it occurred to me to ask what was the mfg date, and date of service to the car?! on the battery was. turns out, it was less than 24 months. warrantied.

side note: isn't it funny how a seemingly fine battery going into the dealer suddenly "dies"... though i'm sure larger "conspiracies" exist.

turns out it was under the two years and they had to replace it gratis. i'm sure they knew it, and wouldve turned the battery back in to the interstate guy on his weekly delivery.. and pocketed my 275$. adding further insult, anywhere else the battery would be $120.00, tops.

dealers. sheesh.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the Interstate battery before the one currently in my Turbo lasted just 7 months. 7 months of near daily use. I'm not hard on a battery at all. Save for the Boxster's battery I can't recall ever having to replace a battery in a car before. I drove my '96 Mustang until fall of '01 and racked up over 120K miles in that time and I sold the Mustang with its original battery. Similarly for my 02 VW Golf. I sold it in '07 with around 120K miles on the car and it was on its original battery.
Macster,

A few of us get together on the weekends to go for a drive. You should join us sometime.

We are going this Saturday. Pm me if you would like to join. We do more driving then talking. No kicking tires at a parking lot.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
wow, that's crazy. obviously it was/is? warrantied. the porsche dealership once replaced an interstate battery for me while the car was already in having something done and as i was about to be handed an an invoice with an additional 275$?!? on it, it occurred to me to ask what was the mfg date, and date of service to the car?! on the battery was. turns out, it was less than 24 months. warrantied.

side note: isn't it funny how a seemingly fine battery going into the dealer suddenly "dies"... though i'm sure larger "conspiracies" exist.

turns out it was under the two years and they had to replace it gratis. i'm sure they knew it, and wouldve turned the battery back in to the interstate guy on his weekly delivery.. and pocketed my 275$. adding further insult, anywhere else the battery would be $120.00, tops.

dealers. sheesh.
Not surprised at all about these dealer antics.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interstate makes good batteries, but everyone makes a dud occasionally.

The OEM Bosch in my car lasted 7 years in Texas which is almost unheard of. 3 Years is considered really good around here. I went with the same Bosch battery under the Autozone brand. I also have the Autozone (Bosch) brand in my truck and it's going on 4 years old. The OEM batt went out at two years.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an interstate going on almost three years, no problem, I do use a battery tender when parked.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:48 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

My f350 only gets used about 1500 mi a year and AutoZone battery lasted five years no tender- go figure lol.

Quick Reply: Anybody got a battery recommendation?