Sponsored by:

Looking at 911 Turbo to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Red Turbo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 911 Turbo to buy

I'm currently looking at a 2002 911 Turbo with 20,000 miles on it. It has a few mods such as:

Porsche OEM GT2 rear deck and spoiler, painted lowers all around and painted rear bumperettes.
Cargraphic exhaust.
K16/24 hybrid turbochargers with engine management for 500+ HP.
H&R coilover suspension.
Short-shift kit.
Techart wheels 18X11, 18X8 1/2

Were there any problems with this model I should be look for? Also what is the current real price range for this car.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

just like that. it sounds great. those are well considered mods. 16/24's and "engine management".
what's not to love.

ps now you say price
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Red Turbo
5th Gear

They are asking $50K The car looks flawless. I'm going to be putting it up on the lift today but not sure what to look for exactly. Would I be paying too much at $50K?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Price sounds good. You could probably find cheaper but it would come with more flaws and higher mileage.

I 's make sure clutch feels good, gear shifts are good, drives straight and feels planted and test for 2nd gear pop out. Do a search and you should find the method to test for it.

Clutch slave and 2nd gear pop out are 2 issues to look for but the slave cylinder is easily fixed.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds awesome. GL
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a nice car. Get a PPI from a well qualified shop. I use NADA as a price guide. I bought my last 3 Porsches for less than NADA Pricing. Most cars sell below, even at dealers. NADA shows that 02 20K mile car is worth between $31K for a rough trade and $41K high retail. Based on this, if the car was stock and passed a PPI and I loved everything about it, I'd be looking to buy at around $37K and maybe inch up to $38K. For this modded car, I'd deduct another $2K or so. The seller is counting on a $10K-$15K premium for the mods hoping to find an unschooled buyer.

Generally speaking add on accessories and mods will lower the value overall. To most, 100% stock cars have the most value. Performance enhancements generally raise suspicions regarding how the car was driven, abused (?) maintained, and so on. Modded cars can be somewhat more costly to maintain and have issues related to the non stock added components. Tuning glitches, rougher riding, too low ride height, etc. Understand the trade offs.

Don't get me wrong, I love mods and modded vehicles. That's what I do for a living. But I realize it personalizes a car that will narrow a prospective audience of buyers. People in general want to make the car "theirs" rather than buying some one else's custom. Most prefer to start with a clean canvas.

Really not trying to burst your bubble, but I think the seller will either come down, or return his car back to stock. Run this car by any Porsche Pre-owned sales manager and get his idea what he'd buy it for. Add $2K-$4K and that's where you want to be.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some mods are not negatives such as suspension (especially on 996's that are getting a little old). Very few people are going to replace stock with stock and keep the horrible US ride height. Now if said suspension is full on race setup - that can be a negative.

Exhaust with a good note and not too loud can also be expected as well and should neither add or reduce the value (IMO).
Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
I think some mods are not negatives such as suspension (especially on 996's that are getting a little old). Very few people are going to replace stock with stock and keep the horrible US ride height. Now if said suspension is full on race setup - that can be a negative.

Exhaust with a good note and not too loud can also be expected as well and should neither add or reduce the value (IMO).
I agree. Stock car was not what I was looking for. I look at the mods and what was done.

I knew if I had found a stock car, I could not live with the stock suspension and 4x4 look and lack of any exhaust sound. Specially on a Turbo which is even more muffled then a NA engine.

The power upgrades I would have done. At least a chip. At the end of the day its would cost me at least 10k just doing these basic things.

The GT2 wing means not worrying about an expensive wing fix in the future when the hydraulics start to leak.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM
robertgalka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick49
I bought my last 3 Porsches for less than NADA Pricing. Most cars sell below, even at dealers. NADA shows that 02 20K mile car is worth between $31K for a rough trade and $41K high retail. Based on this, if the car was stock and passed a PPI and I loved everything about it, I'd be looking to buy at around $37K and maybe inch up to $38K. For this modded car, I'd deduct another $2K or so. The seller is counting on a $10K-$15K premium for the mods hoping to find an unschooled buyer.
Where are you finding all of the cheap cars? I've been looking for eight months and there isn't anything nice with low mileage for under 45K. Most in the low 40k range have a lot of miles.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes, if you can take some pictures so maybe others can chime in and tell you what to look for.

robertgalka I've seen some on 6speed for the mid 30's but they usually have high miles around 100k. Not sure I've seen them that low ether, nick49 must have a hook up
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by robertgalka
Where are you finding all of the cheap cars? I've been looking for eight months and there isn't anything nice with low mileage for under 45K. Most in the low 40k range have a lot of miles.
Exactly - all the posts about these super low prices are from fantasy land. This car has 20k miles on it, not 100k. I don't think I'd want the car priced at $34k if the market is at $45k - there's a reason it's a lot cheaper.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Where is the world are you buying 02 turbos with 20k that aren't salvaged for under $40k

Sounds like a nice car. Get a PPI from a well qualified shop. I use NADA as a price guide. I bought my last 3 Porsches for less than NADA Pricing. Most cars sell below, even at dealers. NADA shows that 02 20K mile car is worth between $31K for a rough trade and $41K high retail. Based on this, if the car was stock and passed a PPI and I loved everything about it, I'd be looking to buy at around $37K and maybe inch up to $38K. For this modded car, I'd deduct another $2K or so. The seller is counting on a $10K-$15K premium for the mods hoping to find an unschooled buyer.

Generally speaking add on accessories and mods will lower the value overall. To most, 100% stock cars have the most value. Performance enhancements generally raise suspicions regarding how the car was driven, abused (?) maintained, and so on. Modded cars can be somewhat more costly to maintain and have issues related to the non stock added components. Tuning glitches, rougher riding, too low ride height, etc. Understand the trade offs.

Don't get me wrong, I love mods and modded vehicles. That's what I do for a living. But I realize it personalizes a car that will narrow a prospective audience of buyers. People in general want to make the car "theirs" rather than buying some one else's custom. Most prefer to start with a clean canvas.

Really not trying to burst your bubble, but I think the seller will either come down, or return his car back to stock. Run this car by any Porsche Pre-owned sales manager and get his idea what he'd buy it for. Add $2K-$4K and that's where you want to be.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Tune $1500
Turbochargers atleast $2500
Exhaust $3000
Rear OEM GT2 decklid atleast another $2000 (don't forget the paint)
Wheels another atleast $2500
Short shift kit $375
Labor atleast another $2500

So the parts/labor alone is around $15,000.

I would gladly pay $45,000 for the car and aleast $5000 for the parts/labor making this car a great value at or around $50,000

Once again I have no clue where ^ you have been finding low mileage pristine examples for mid 30's
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo

Tune $1500
Turbochargers atleast $2500
Exhaust $3000
Rear OEM GT2 decklid atleast another $2000 (don't forget the paint)
Wheels another atleast $2500
Short shift kit $375
Labor atleast another $2500

So the parts/labor alone is around $15,000.

I would gladly pay $45,000 for the car and aleast $5000 for the parts/labor making this car a great value at or around $50,000

Once again I have no clue where ^ you have been finding low mileage pristine examples for mid 30's
Totally agree. This is a good value at $50k. Plus it is faster because it doesn't have the added weight of a glove box and cup holders!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 257 Posts

opps.... thought it was an '01 !

Quick Reply: Looking at 911 Turbo to buy