Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impact of GT700/800 kits on 996TT reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM
lbastie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impact of GT700/800 kits on 996TT reliability?

Well, the question is in the title... Looking at upgrading a 996TT with some EVOMS kit. Does it impact the long term reliability of the car? What should I know?

And in case of failure in a few years of some engine part, will it be possible to find replacement parts?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
lbastie
AutoX

so, let me reformulate the question. Would you buy a 996tt with a GT700/800 evoms like kit? Or would you ignore?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would want to know when it was built, how many miles on it since modification, and do a leak check on the intake system along with a compression test. Take off the hose connections leading to the intercoolers and inspect for excess oil. A light coating of oil is fine lots of oil is not. Check the turbos for shaft play also along with having the car scanned for codes and hidden problems.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

this is something you need to do for yourself. Not likely to be a highly desireable car when done.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM
motenai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fly2low
this is something you need to do for yourself. Not likely to be a highly desireable car when done.
I apologize if I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm looking at a similar equipped 996T. fly2low, when you say it's something you need to do for yourself, do you mean the actual GT700 purchase for a car with no mods? Could you elaborate as to why it wouldn't be desirable when done?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:30 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

performance mods limit the pool of buyers
I am on my second used 996TT, both times bought stock, or near stock cars, then modded both the way I wanted them
When I sold my first, I had to take it back to stock to move it
It is unusual to find a heavily modded car that has not been driven hard, and not everyone does the increased maintenance required when driven as such

Could just be me, but I don't think so
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM
motenai
Intermediate

fly2low, you bring up some very valid points, thanks for your insight.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by fly2low
performance mods limit the pool of buyers
I would agree with this, but as a buyer, no reason not to buy a modified car, provided it is setup in the exact manner you intend to modify the car or close. It is a great means of saving boatloads of $$. For example, I nearly bought a K24/18g, full suspension, GT2 body kit, wheels, etc (which is the direction I want to go) with 5k more miles than mine, but for only $3k more than what I paid. To get there with my car, I will need to spend $20k+ to get there. In retrospect, it might have been a headache or it might have been perfect.

When I sold my first, I had to take it back to stock to move it
It is unusual to find a heavily modded car that has not been driven hard, and not everyone does the increased maintenance required when driven as such
As a seller, this is right on. I think I am proof of that as while I wanted to buy the above car, part of me said buying my car (just flash, dvs, and exhaust) was the safer bet. Selling a car as close to stock as possible opens you up to a huge market of buyers as compared to pigeon-holing yourself with a highly modified example.

I am happy with my purchase, but already used to/bored with the power I have with my flash. If someone were to ask me my opinion on buying a modified car, I'd say do it so long as there is an extensive and clear maintenance and ownership history. In most cases you are getting the mods for pennies on the dollar.

Quick Reply: Impact of GT700/800 kits on 996TT reliability?