Sponsored by:

spoiler failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I visited the site and found the wing setup you are referring too. Yes, it is listed for under $2500, though this does not include the final paint. Not sure what this would cost.

For less than $2500 -- and no visit to the paint shop -- I can have the stock system replaced with a factory new one.

Which is probably what I'll do when I get around to it.
the main difference is even if you spent 3000$ for the gt2 setup painted you only do it once. your oem spoiler repair has the exact same parts which have failed you already.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped the car off today at the dealer and they are overnighting parts for Monday. Since it is still under warranty I will go with the $0 repair option. I do appreciate the many suggestions and will let you know what all they replace. I hope the warranty does go for 2 years from repair since the CPO expires in April 2014.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked the car up from the local P dealer and they replaced the entire system under warranty. They said that it is sealed from Porsche and very difficult to replace individual components once it has begun to leak. Interestingly, the warranty expires with the end of my CPO in April 2014. If the car was out of warranty I would get 2 years from the date of repair? Oh well, all fixed for $0 dollars and I got to drive a lovely baby blue metallic Hyundai for a few days.......
Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I picked the car up from the local P dealer and they replaced the entire system under warranty. They said that it is sealed from Porsche and very difficult to replace individual components once it has begun to leak. Interestingly, the warranty expires with the end of my CPO in April 2014. If the car was out of warranty I would get 2 years from the date of repair? Oh well, all fixed for $0 dollars and I got to drive a lovely baby blue metallic Hyundai for a few days.......
That is what I got from my talking this over with the techs. While the parts catalog shows the individual parts are available and the parts department manager said he could order them for me, the techs tell me they have to rig up a bench system to work the unit -- after they get it out of the car -- and it is difficult to get both cylinders bled and equally filled with fluid.

The job can't be done on a fixed number of hours it takes what it takes. At $150/hour labor for say 4 hours that's $600 plus another $600 or more for parts, and fluid, plus incidentals, thus one is up to an easy $1300 or more and the thing could leak again tomorrow.

And while it seems some owners who advise going the fix it yourself route or have an indy shop fix it route are quite willing to risk having the unit fail again after a while are not so willing to forgive if a dealer service department fixes it and the fix fails after a while.Then these owners want that 2 year warranty.

Thus the dealer service department is on the hook for the parts and labor warranty, which means in the end the dealer has to buy and install at its expense a new spoiler mechanism.

OTOH with a factory spoiler installed if there's a problem PCNA covers not only the parts but labor so the dealer (or the customer) are not out the expense of having to repair the spoiler again.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replacing the entire sytem is pretty easy. You can replace the individual components, but the bleeding is no easy task since the entire system uses a very low volume of fluid.
Replacing the entire system anyone can do. There is no risk. It comes out and goes in very easy.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
Interestingly, the warranty expires with the end of my CPO in April 2014. If the car was out of warranty I would get 2 years from the date of repair?
I don't think that is correct. Any repair/replacement of a malfunctioning part (like the spoiler) performed by Porsche should get a 2 year warranty from date of repair. So, for instance, if it fails again 23 months from now, you should be covered regardless of CPO expiration.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I don't think that is correct. Any repair/replacement of a malfunctioning part (like the spoiler) performed by Porsche should get a 2 year warranty from date of repair. So, for instance, if it fails again 23 months from now, you should be covered regardless of CPO expiration.
No, it is correct. You could argue that but it would be up to them to do it as good will.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
No, it is correct. You could argue that but it would be up to them to do it as good will.
Yeah, guess you're right - here's language from website:

"2-year warranty for genuine Porsche parts, exchange parts and accessories, which are used or sold outside of warranty work. The warranty period for Porsche parts which are used in connection with warranty work ends contemporaneously with the warranty period for the purchased item which has become defective"

Real cute. So, if I buy a spoiler, it gets a two year warranty. But, if they install a spoiler under warranty, limited to duration of warranty. Oh well, I got one "free" and its lasted about two years so far....

Quick Reply: spoiler failure