Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 18" BBS Finally On The Car & 19" Going For Sale!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 18" BBS Finally On The Car & 19" Going For Sale!

I have the Bilstein PSS10 kit going on next month, so I put on the new BBS RS-GT wheels in OEM sizes. Went with Michelin Pilots. These BBS wheels are very nice wheels and fairly light-weight. My 19" Champions are a bit heavier.

Special thanks to Rich at ROCS for the great service.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Looking good! Will look even better once the pss9's are on for sure.
Enjoy and thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it !

Best
Rich
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice! Can you tell any difference in the ride?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by SSST
Very nice! Can you tell any difference in the ride?
I haven't gone that far with them...the only one thing that I did notice was that the ride over some familiar bumps wasn't so jarring. The big difference will be in the combo of the PSS10s and the 18s. If I was running the PSS10s with the 19s the ride would be miserable. I'm glad I went back to 18s. The wheels look obviously smaller (those Champions have quite a presence over the 18s).
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Huh. Was thinking of going to 19s. Looking at the Ruf rims or HRE. The BBS look good at 18. Might just stick with my 18s. Whats next on your car?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks sharp........
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Michelins are hard riding and noisey tires to begin with. Since I do not track the car, I have no need to pay the extra $$$ for the unnoticleable handling characteristics on the street. Hence the reason I went with Hankooks Ventu V12, not only ride better are really sticky but consoderable less noise they also have the same or better load rating and more plies on the sidewalls.. Great tire for the money. Side by side comparison of the PSS2s and the Hankooks by Car and Driver show very little advatages of the Michelins.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice! Once the car gets lowered and aligned, you'll appreciate the handling AND ride comfort. Be careful with driveway inclines, dips in the road, speed bumps and high spots on your local roads...you're spoiler lip will thank you for it.
The car and driver test didn't compare Sumitomo HTRZ III; there have been positive RL comments on these also.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
Very nice! Once the car gets lowered and aligned, you'll appreciate the handling AND ride comfort. Be careful with driveway inclines, dips in the road, speed bumps and high spots on your local roads...you're spoiler lip will thank you for it.
The car and driver test didn't compare Sumitomo HTRZ III; there have been positive RL comments on these also.
I agree---I am not going to get carried away with dropping it too low. My ZO6 was too low and annoying to drive around town.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
BOBBYFALI
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you just bolting up the PSS10's or also doing other suspension mods as well ie: dog bones, adjustable tow links, GT3 front control arms etc.

How low do you plan on going?

The reason for asking is that I have PSS9's sitting down not instralled, because form what everyone is saying I need the above to make it all work properly and not have crazy tire wear. We are looking at over $3500 for labour,alignment, rss dobones & Toe links, Porsche GT3 front arms that is on top of the price of the coil overs!!

Interested on your response.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

2K3TTMIA - the only reason i did not choose the Sumitomo, was the rear set of 295 -30-18 did not match the N spec Michelin PS2's that came with the car. The load index for the Hankooks are 98Y(XL) the same as the Michelins and the Sumitomos are 94Y.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
The big difference will be in the combo of the PSS10s and the 18s. If I was running the PSS10s with the 19s the ride would be miserable.
JC...how do you know this (since you never did it)? I have Pss9s and 19"OZs...the ride and performance is spectacular (not to mention the looks, IMHO).
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Dubbin'
Instructor

Looks great. Coilovers will just make it that much nicer and improve the ride. You will definetly enjoy.

Mark
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by BOBBYFALI
Are you just bolting up the PSS10's or also doing other suspension mods as well ie: dog bones, adjustable tow links, GT3 front control arms etc.

How low do you plan on going?

The reason for asking is that I have PSS9's sitting down not instralled, because form what everyone is saying I need the above to make it all work properly and not have crazy tire wear. We are looking at over $3500 for labour,alignment, rss dobones & Toe links, Porsche GT3 front arms that is on top of the price of the coil overs!!

Interested on your response.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Bobby,

Only the PSS10s. I was going to do the whole sway bar, bushings, drop links, etc---but two Porsche suspension tuners told me that would be overkill for a street car. My Corvette ZO6 had the entire kit and was miserable to drive on the street---very harsh and unforgiving over bumps. After a lot of hours on the phone talking to techs---they all advised me to keep it simple: swap out the soft OEM springs/shocks with a PSS10 and call it a day.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
Bobby,

Only the PSS10s. I was going to do the whole sway bar, bushings, drop links, etc---but two Porsche suspension tuners told me that would be overkill for a street car. My Corvette ZO6 had the entire kit and was miserable to drive on the street---very harsh and unforgiving over bumps. After a lot of hours on the phone talking to techs---they all advised me to keep it simple: swap out the soft OEM springs/shocks with a PSS10 and call it a day.
John,

The issue isn't so muh "harshness" but the ability to achieve a proper and optimal alignment. Once lowered on PSS you will find yourself needing the additional adjustability of at least toe links in order to get there. We routinelly go through these set ups and before selling someone coilovers I always make it a point to discuss and disclose this very issue.

Best
Rich

Quick Reply: New 18" BBS Finally On The Car & 19" Going For Sale!