Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 18" BBS Finally On The Car & 19" Going For Sale!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCS Auto Inc
John,

The issue isn't so muh "harshness" but the ability to achieve a proper and optimal alignment. Once lowered on PSS you will find yourself needing the additional adjustability of at least toe links in order to get there. We routinelly go through these set ups and before selling someone coilovers I always make it a point to discuss and disclose this very issue.

Best
Rich
Thanks Rich. I have another discussion with my tuner coming up soon to discuss the alignment. They did indeed mention toe links as a possibility. I think I spoke too soon about not needing them:-) Long day....
Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM
BOBBYFALI
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROCS Auto Inc
John,

The issue isn't so muh "harshness" but the ability to achieve a proper and optimal alignment. Once lowered on PSS you will find yourself needing the additional adjustability of at least toe links in order to get there. We routinelly go through these set ups and before selling someone coilovers I always make it a point to discuss and disclose this very issue.

Best
Rich
So you are saying that you can get away with just rear toe links to get proper tire wear. I would like to lower my car between 1-2".

Thanks in advance for your valued opinion!

Bobby Ali

ba
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Hi Bobby,

You can generally get away with just toe links and lock plates with just a 1" drop. Anything more and you are into adjustable arms ++.
Here is a set up I like with proven results:

FRONT & REAR PORSCHE MOTORSPORTS 2-PIECE CONTROL ARMS (996 retrofits are more affordable) + SHIM ASSORTMENT + SPHERICAL BEARINGS
RSS THRUST ARM BUSHING KIT
RSS FRONT ADJUSTABLE TOE STEER KIT
RSS REAR ADJUSTABLE TOE STEER KIT
RSS REAR TOE LINK LOCK PLATE KIT
RSS REAR ADJUSTABLE LINK ARM KIT 996 997

You can combine this with the coilovers of your choice but man let me tell you, we have some clients on this set up with Bilstein sports & H&R lowering springs and their cars blast around the track like demons while very composed on the street ! You can also usually get away without rear 2-piece control arms if you don't go lower.

This is of course on a street car, for a race car I would take a different approach on coilovers....did I mention we love Moton suspensions
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sharp!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Another P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have bought Motons, and the needed links, etc, ready for install, but still haven't purchased the adjustable rear control arm ie GT3 or RSS. There are several on the market that cost significantly less. Any input on yes, no, and why?
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Yes, there are choices out there....did you look at the setup above closely? I like the Porsche motorsports GT3 arms period....I'm not the only one, do a search. Track dedicated car? Replace them every 1-2 seasons as a rule of thumb. This isn't a Porsche specific procedure...BMWs too. Consider the load put on the components, control arms should be considered consumable parts regardless of what arm you instal. You spent the money on motons and everything else, get the adjustable arms so you can properly align the car, the control arms allow you to achieve optimal camber.

Regards
Rich

Quick Reply: New 18" BBS Finally On The Car & 19" Going For Sale!