Sponsored by:

On Fence 2002 X50

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
csaturno1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Fence 2002 X50

Im on fence about a 2002 X50 Tip with 38,000. One owner- very clean- PPI got done yesterday- needs tires , COolant low ( could be a few different things ) need to have pressure test done. Driver side Ram leaking on rear wing. Everything else good. $ 42,500- 30K service done already- all original books, sticker,docs from dealer. I would be trading in a 06 cayenne turbo. Read threads here daily- ppl say to do it if your on fence- only hesitation is costs of unknown repairs that will creep up- then again cayenne is ending CPO in 3 weeks- any thoughts on price? decent ? any advice would be great. Color is black on black - carbon fiber trim- all stock car! which I like.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Just do it man!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

welcome csaturno. PPI found some issues, maybe not all of them. Has the Turbo been serviced at the same dealer? Can they or the owner provide service history? All fluids, filters changed? Though it's got low miles, its a 10-11 year old car. as you mentioned, needs tires. Has the brake fluid ever been flushed? If not, request it get done, or lower the price accordingly. Same for the leaking spoiler ram. IIRC, that alone is $2K +/- to repair back to OEM operation; though a few have gone to aftermarket retrofit for alot less.

Inspect the CF trim closely; older CF left to breakdown under UV exposure is pretty much done. cracks and delamination and lifting from the subsurface is $ to replace with CF or go to altermative ( leather, plastic, etc.)

You mention all the books, docs, etc.... Do you haveTWO working keys ( and possibly the valet key, also?) One working key costs $250 plus to acquire/program.

Has Tip fluid been serviced? Coil packs, plugs?

Depending on your trade-in numbers and if they are low-balling you a few thou, adjust your asking price on the Turbo accordingly. Just in repairs, tires, I'd try to bargain down from the $42,5.

Good luck.

Pics, and I'll be darned if it has Sport Technos........
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
csaturno1
Intermediate

PPI was done at indy- 30K mile service was done at dealer and since has only been driven 2600 miles- yes brake fluid and filters, plugs were done at 30K service. both keys and valet and all books, manuals- one owner was a PCA member- also radio code and cover. all documentation is from dealer- manual also stamped
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

sweet, now go close that deal !!

maybe the PO was also a RL'r!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
csaturno1
Intermediate

Im kinda new here- Not sure what that means? " maybe the PO was also a RL'r!"
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
csaturno1
Intermediate

Pics

Last edited by csaturno1; 01-22-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
csaturno1
Intermediate

Pic
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Originally Posted by csaturno1
Im kinda new here- Not sure what that means? " maybe the PO was also a RL'r!"
Previous Owner and Rennlister.....

Looks very nice.... now about the ride height ( very OEM)
Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 PM
csaturno1
Intermediate

Ha- gotcha
Old 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 292 Posts

As indicated, porsche fix for spoiler issue is to replace entire assembly. $2000 is about right. Other known issues are clutch slave - there is a method to determine if its good (search this forum).
Tips usually trade for less than manuals, but the price appears to be in the ballpark based on mileage alone. Only live once....
Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by csaturno1
Im on fence about a 2002 X50 Tip with 38,000. One owner- very clean- PPI got done yesterday- needs tires , COolant low ( could be a few different things ) need to have pressure test done. Driver side Ram leaking on rear wing. Everything else good. $ 42,500- 30K service done already- all original books, sticker,docs from dealer. I would be trading in a 06 cayenne turbo. Read threads here daily- ppl say to do it if your on fence- only hesitation is costs of unknown repairs that will creep up- then again cayenne is ending CPO in 3 weeks- any thoughts on price? decent ? any advice would be great. Color is black on black - carbon fiber trim- all stock car! which I like.
My local dealer gave me a quote to address a spoiler issue with my 03: $1686 parts/$320 labor.

This replaces the malfunctioning unit with a factory new one.

I have decided to think about this... In the meantime since I do not break the speed limit I've just unplugged the spoiler fuse. This prevents the thing from going up and down crooked but a warning light comes on when the spoiler should deploy and when it should retract. I can live with that, at least for a while.

Coolant leaks scare me. It might be a tank -- common -- or it might be a water pump -- not unknown even at "low" miles -- or it might be due to trash build up around/between the A/C condensers and radiators and a radiator is leaking -- happens if this trash is allowed to build up -- but it could be a head gasket leak, or even a coolant tube fitting leak. The coolant tubes are epoxied into the block and these have been known to fail. Rare on a street car less so on a car that is tracked.

A pressure test may prove inconclusive. It is done cold and sometimes a leak requires both pressure and heat.

(A DIY cooling system pressure test is to drive the car around town until it is good and up to temp. Do not have the A/C on. Back on your driveway raise engine rpms to 1K or 1200 and hold until you hear or a helper hears the radiator fans come on. Shut the engine off. This will have the now hot cooling system develop its max. pressure. It was just such a test with my 02 Boxster than finally confirmed a suspected coolant tank leak was in fact real. The tank split and gushed hot coolant out. But better to happen on my driveway than on the road.)

Without knowing the cause of the coolant leak price is hard to estimate, unless the leak is addressed to your satisfaction as a pre-condition of your buying the car.

The seller would probably balk at this condition.

Also, you have to factor in the cost to replace the spoiler.

Price a set of proper n-rated tires for the car. Be sitting down. And factor in alignment just to be sure the alignment is right on which will max. service life of the new tires.

Also, plugs are due to be changed on time as well as miles. While 30K miles is IIRC below the change by mileage the car is now 10/11 years old and the plugs should be less than 4 years old.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:06 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For under $200 plus about 1 hour labour charge you can get a kit (off EBAY) that fixes the spoiler any where from down to full up and there is an alternative kit (from the same supplier) that extends full up by about 1.5". Cheap solution and car looks great!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a steal based on condition even with a few issues. Many inexpensive fixes for spoiler so get the coolant issue resolved and you have a smokin deal. X50 is great option over regular after driving both....at least in Colorado at altitude. The X50 pulls stronger and longer. Yes, I know with mods the regular spools up faster, etc. but you mentioned liking it is stock so just my 2 cents. Probably more reliable than a Cayenne in long run.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
csaturno1
Intermediate

The 30K miles service ( plugs changed ) was done almost 2 years ago according to paperwork- the wing I will have to address and I can live with a permanent fix aftermarket or whatever options I have at the time- Tires are tires and will wear. I agree the low coolant discovered in the PPI worry's me- Indy shop owner told me this- there is no visible leaks, it could be a expansion tank or as simple as a cap- however it could be the water pump ( $ 1250 ). He told me chances are that would be the worst case scenario after pressure testing and further diagnostics. I have included tires and ( $1250) scenario in my offer for the car. The wing is currently working but leak visible on driver side ram- I would prob also remove fuse for time being and address that at a later time- as longer and there is no warning lights as that would drive me crazy. So i guess if i go forward with the car i roll the dice- Im just hoping that it does not turn out to be a $5,000 dollar repair. Hence why I am on fence.

Quick Reply: On Fence 2002 X50