Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front clutch reservoir leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well while the box is out it will be a good opportunity to fit a Sachs 890Nm kit...:-)
Old 11-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Murci930
Track Day

Sorry to revive an old thread but i have two competing problems and I don't know if they are related.

The rear power steering reservoir makes the high pitched whine, as well as the front reservoir is leaking. is it that both the rear reservoir and slave cylinder are bad? or just the rear?
Old 11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I suspect you have a bad check valve in the power steerng tank, there is a tsb on this. It requires the pwr steering tank to be replaced
You also have a bad clutch slave unit. The check valve in it is going causing pwr steering fluid to back fill the clutch master cylinder. I recommend when the clutch slave cylinder is replaced, the accumulator should also be replaced at the same time.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Murci930
Track Day

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I suspect you have a bad check valve in the power steerng tank, there is a tsb on this. It requires the pwr steering tank to be replaced
You also have a bad clutch slave unit. The check valve in it is going causing pwr steering fluid to back fill the clutch master cylinder. I recommend when the clutch slave cylinder is replaced, the accumulator should also be replaced at the same time.
Thank you very much. The clutch was recently replaced, (roughly 15k ago) and the accumulator was as well. Do you recommend changing again?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:00 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

It can also be only a low level in the power steering reservoir due to migration into the clutch reservoir. You definitively got a slave to replace...Refill the power steering reservoir tu full level and see if the noise is gone....
Old 11-03-2015, 03:18 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I think i have the whine, need to drive the car a little more to eval, but no harm in it, right? just annoying? no leaks.

thx
Old 11-03-2015, 03:23 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jason952
I think i have the whine, need to drive the car a little more to eval, but no harm in it, right? just annoying? no leaks.

thx
Take a look on your level!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Murci930
Track Day

Originally Posted by jpflip
It can also be only a low level in the power steering reservoir due to migration into the clutch reservoir. You definitively got a slave to replace...Refill the power steering reservoir tu full level and see if the noise is gone....
That sounds a better plan, as the noise and the leak have been existent for the same amount of time.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:59 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't drive the car if the power steering fluid level is too low. If that is the problem, the whine you hear is the power steering pump getting destroyed due to insufficient lubrication. It takes 30 seconds to check the P/S fluid level.

Dan
Old 11-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Murci930
Track Day

Originally Posted by dprantl
Don't drive the car if the power steering fluid level is too low. If that is the problem, the whine you hear is the power steering pump getting destroyed due to insufficient lubrication. It takes 30 seconds to check the P/S fluid level.

Dan
Well we shall see as the forum makes it seem as if the reservoir valve fails easily.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

If the power steering reservoir is full..

You might want to do a search with regards to several 996TT Pentosin power steering fires..

Years back, a Rennlister took his car into the dealer for a evaluation, the Porsche dealer on the East Coast told him he was good till next week (ordered the part/scheduled him in). On the way home his engine caught on fire and burnt the car down..

Found the thread..

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...nd-burned.html

Don't let the pump noise go un-checked.. If it's the unloader/check valve>>replace it.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Murci930
Track Day

Originally Posted by Kevin
If the power steering reservoir is full..

You might want to do a search with regards to several 996TT Pentosin power steering fires..

Years back, a Rennlister took his car into the dealer for a evaluation, the Porsche dealer on the East Coast told him he was good till next week (ordered the part/scheduled him in). On the way home his engine caught on fire and burnt the car down..

Found the thread..

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...nd-burned.html

Don't let the pump noise go un-checked.. If it's the unloader/check valve>>replace it.
Front res is but hte rear empties as it keeps pushing the fluid forward. i have stopped driving the car until i can get it to the shop,
Old 03-03-2018, 03:15 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I've got a minor mess in this area as well now. To be honest, it appears as if the cap on the front reservoir has failed. It simply will not tighten down, much like a stripped nut. I had not touched it, until I noticed a mess while looking for the brake fluid reservoir. I'm willing to accept that this might have another cause, but the cap is clearly in need of replacement. Is that observation symptomatic of a slave failure or of something else? My rear reservoir is no longer super full, but far from low. I've not driven this car much lately, but nothing about the clutch seemed noteworthy the last time I had it out. I'll run through the tests if it's dry this weekend, and I can figure out a cap.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately front reservoir (clutch) overfilled is a result of fluid migration from the power steering reservoir through a failed slave. For many weeks I just transfer the fluid from the front to the back until I was ready to replace the slave. I must confess that I hoped that situation would repair itself but without success ;-( It was my first repair on the TT in 2008!
Old 03-03-2018, 03:02 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I followed up on a 996 thread, but from what I gather this system is very similar on my 997.

Thanks, it makes sense that something in the front will give if fluid continues to be pumped there. I'll move some fluid from the front to the back until I can get it in for service.

Now I just need to decide if I want to keep this stock or do one of the gt2 conversions.... On the one hand, better pedal feel would be nice. On the other hand I've spent more time than I cared to sorting my other modified car over the last couple months, so I'm tempted to keep this one stock,

Quick Reply: Front clutch reservoir leaking.