Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What To Expect---ECU Tuning (2013 Mods List)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm another UMW fan. I have found no downside to the tune. Torque and HP is improved throughout the range.

One thing I want to note, is that if you get Kevin's data logger, he will work with you to dial in the tune. I did this. He sent me his tune, I loaded it, logged a run, and sent him the log. He made some adjustments to the tune, logged another run. Sent him the log, he sent me some tweaks, and we had it dialed in. All this was done via email. The turn around time between me sending him a log and getting a new tune back was a few hours. The whole thing was done over a weekend.

Great customer service and a great tune.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
KC_Michael
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can tuners use the logs from Durametric to dial in a tune? Since I already have a Durametric, it would save some expense if this would be possible. I understand that the sample rate isn't as high as Kevin's logger.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by SSST
I'm another UMW fan. I have found no downside to the tune. Torque and HP is improved throughout the range.

One thing I want to note, is that if you get Kevin's data logger, he will work with you to dial in the tune. I did this. He sent me his tune, I loaded it, logged a run, and sent him the log. He made some adjustments to the tune, logged another run. Sent him the log, he sent me some tweaks, and we had it dialed in. All this was done via email. The turn around time between me sending him a log and getting a new tune back was a few hours. The whole thing was done over a weekend.

Great customer service and a great tune.
Interesting. I'll have to reach out to Kevin and talk to him about this.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

KC, with the Ultimate Motorwerks Datalogger it offers "options" It allows myself to dial in your tune, based off your engine configuration, and /or driving needs. It is a personal approach a one on one situation for yourself and your car. With that said, my standard tune is very good. The difference between the two situations allows me to ring out "more" and give the end user multiple options for multiple tuning maps. The datalogger can catch sensor issues> failing O2 sensors, tired MAF sensors, a cracked/failed octopus fuel pump hose.

With the UMW datalogger one can READ and WRITE to the ECU. This option is not available with most "other" dataloggers.

For those that do NOT want the datalogger and want a plug and play OBD2 flash, this method is always available. Infact, with my slave OBD2 programming tool one can read your ECU thru your OBD2 port within 15 seconds. No computer is needed, It is plug and play (read and write).. The file that I write for you is similar to what I write with the datalogger. One can also start out with my OBD2 slave programming for $975.00 and at a later date, purchase the datalogger.

Guys, I urge you to call me at 360.805-9066 or email me with your questions.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
cyk
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a cut'n'paste from my previous post pertaining to the Softronic tune...

I decided on the Softronic tune claiming an increase of 80hp & 120ft/lb of torque to 495hp & 533ft/lb! While I haven't confirmed those claims, my seat of the pants certainly tells me there is a huge bump. I've noticed the following:

* Peak boost went from .08 to 1.1 bar
* Rev limiter has been raised
* Torque is so strong that traction is easily lost in first gear
* Turbo lag is significantly diminished
* Mid-range torque is monstrous

For those curious about the install, it really couldn't be easier. All it took was downloading the stock map via their provided obd2/usb cable and sending them the map via email. Softronic emailed the tuned map 2 days later and I uploaded the new map again with their obd2/usb cable. It literally took less than 10 minutes to download/upload.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM
SSST
Drifting

All this reminds me. I need to log some new runs. I moved to an area with better gas (less ethanol). My PSM kicks in on hard pulls through 2nd now. I might be able to take more timing.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
My PSM kicks in on hard pulls through 2nd now.
I'd turn it off...
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with Dock. I hate it when PSM kills the power, and right when you need it! Quite often it engages needlessly.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
SSST
Drifting

I do now.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
KC, with the Ultimate Motorwerks Datalogger it offers "options" It allows myself to dial in your tune, based off your engine configuration, and /or driving needs. It is a personal approach a one on one situation for yourself and your car. With that said, my standard tune is very good. The difference between the two situations allows me to ring out "more" and give the end user multiple options for multiple tuning maps. The datalogger can catch sensor issues> failing O2 sensors, tired MAF sensors, a cracked/failed octopus fuel pump hose.

With the UMW datalogger one can READ and WRITE to the ECU. This option is not available with most "other" dataloggers.

For those that do NOT want the datalogger and want a plug and play OBD2 flash, this method is always available. Infact, with my slave OBD2 programming tool one can read your ECU thru your OBD2 port within 15 seconds. No computer is needed, It is plug and play (read and write).. The file that I write for you is similar to what I write with the datalogger. One can also start out with my OBD2 slave programming for $975.00 and at a later date, purchase the datalogger.

Guys, I urge you to call me at 360.805-9066 or email me with your questions.
Kevin...I will send you over a message later today, and we'll setup a time to talk. Watch your email later, sir.

Regards,
John

Last edited by Silberwolfen; 01-07-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Default 996

I bought my car with the umw tune and I think it is amazing. I am a local Marylander as well and give Kevin my reccomendation. Tpc is around the corner but Kevin is an expert with our cars.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by Mercedesben
I bought my car with the umw tune and I think it is amazing. I am a local Marylander as well and give Kevin my reccomendation. Tpc is around the corner but Kevin is an expert with our cars.
I spoke to Kevin yesterday, and will be going with his tune. He was a good guy to speak with. The UMW will be going on soon.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my car tuned by Kevin. Turned out our gas is not as good as supposed. I did multiple data log runs and he tweeked my tune to fit the fuel we have and my preferences. Now I know I run my car safe despite the increased power. Good to have peace of mind.

I live overseas and got service like from a next door shop.

Quick Reply: What To Expect---ECU Tuning (2013 Mods List)