Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumitomos-7,000 miles down to wear bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

This still doesn't explain why some of us are getting far better wear out of the Sumis. The Pirellis I had were horribly noisy for daily driving. I loved my PS dual compound tires when I ran them. Quiet, plenty of grip, loved them. Got about 12K out of them.

Again, Running the Sumi on a GT3 that I've put about 11K miles on over the last 6 months and they look "mostly" new and uniform wear across the board front and rear. If you guys are killing inside rears, it sounds like a toe and camber issue. And that, in my book isn't "normal" or acceptable. If it's a track day alignment, then sure I get sacreficing tire wear for maximum grip. But on street only Daily Drivers? And the comments about rain/adverse conditions, I had the same level of confidence equally in all three tires discussed with the 996TT I had and the GT3 I now have... So those comments in favor of the Michelin PS aren't any more valid that the others either.

Mike
Old 12-02-2012, 04:10 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Mike.

At the time of corner balancing, camber/toe was dialed down to improved tire wear...made tires last 2x longer at least. Sure, if I raced I'd change that, but for just having fun at HPDE's and on the street, it doesn't matter. And now even the yoko ad08's are going over 11-12k with spirited driving....

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-02-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
...my car understandably likes german tires.
What German tires are you talking about?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I definately want have my alignment toe/camber checked out. I will likely have to wait until spring and head to Seattle area to have this done. Why, I cant trust tire shops in my town to not screw things up. Just yesterday I brought my rear tire in for a slow leak repair (which caused me to notice the wear). They scuffed a 3" plus rub on my stock wheel. This shop is why I switched from the last shop-they caused damage to my wheels also. And I never have them r/r the wheels from my p-cars. I bring them the wheels.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
And the comments about rain/adverse conditions, I had the same level of confidence equally in all three tires discussed with the 996TT I had and the GT3 I now have... So those comments in favor of the Michelin PS aren't any more valid that the others either.
Sure it's valid. Tire Rack surveys show the following data for Hydroplaning Resistance/Wet Traction:

PS2 = 8.5/8.6
Sumis = 7.8/7.8
Yokos = 7.7/8.0

Even the Yokos have a higher average rating than the Sumis (7.85 vs 7.8). But neither of these tires approach the PS2 average of 8.55
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 48 Posts

To all,

I have used Pirelli P-Zero Assymetricos exclusively on my car since day one, anout 18 months ago Pirelli changes to a new P Zero, they were less than half the wear of the previous tires, after two sets of rears I went to PS2's, love em for handling wet and dry and the treadlife is better than the Assymetricos. This is for daily driving with no track time on the tires. Pirelli lost a customer here.

T2
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I'm going back to the GT3 Category. I can't argue with "expertse" like this... Good luck Lance.

Mike

Originally Posted by Dock
Sure it's valid. Tire Rack surveys show the following data for Hydroplaning Resistance/Wet Traction:

PS2 = 8.5/8.6
Sumis = 7.8/7.8
Yokos = 7.7/8.0

Even the Yokos have a higher average rating than the Sumis (7.85 vs 7.8). But neither of these tires approach the PS2 average of 8.55
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'm going back to the GT3 Category. I can't argue with "expertse" like this...
The results I posted are based on the judgement of people who have the tires. Why do you think their opinions are less valuable than yous?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I appreciate all the input... oil and tires always stir the pot. Re rain performance, I really don't care because my car is a fair weather friend. The tests that I read rated the Sumis pretty high on cornering, slalom time, etc. I am sure they are not as good as the PS2s. Before switching, need to find out my current alignment. I will report back when I do so.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What German tires are you talking about?
french. i meant french tires.. or possibly vichy french tires.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Great handling and wet traxction, and are a value as far as price.
Here is the test done by C&D. Had a set of PS2 and these ride better, are quieter, and are pretty close to the handling of the PS2's and a heck of a lot less money.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Because Dock You constantly do this. The whole point of my posts was no matter what tire he puts on the car, it'll wear those tires in the same timeframe because the TIRE is not the issue, the ALIGNMENT is.

Your history is consistant in any number of discussions, and generally I get in trouble for "picking" on you over nonsense like this. Other members opinions are no less valuable than mine. Yours however have a long running history.

I'm sure this will get me chastized yet again, but quite frankly I'm tired of the constant nonsense over and over.

Lance, Sorry for hijacking your thread man. Get your alignment checked and optimized for the type of driving you plan to use the car for. I'd be happy to share my GT3's alignment specs with you and would be HAPPY to send you pics of the tires with said mileage on them offline. Regardless of the tire you pick you WILL eat tires in the 10-12K timeframe until you resolve the alignment issue.

Mike

The results I posted are based on the judgement of people who have the tires. Why do you think their opinions are less valuable than yous?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lance
when it comes time for an alignment, check out Cantrell Motorsports. He knows how to set up your car. I have him get me the tires I want and have him mount the tires and do an alignment in one stop. PM me if you want more details.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mike- The continuing personal issues you have with me are no problem from my end, but you need to keep it off line via PM. I look forward to hearing from you there...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd have to say tire wear is likely a function of multiple components. For example:
1. Alignment
2. Type of driving
3. Road surfaces/environment
4. Tire quality/materials

That being said, there is no such thing all tires from the same manufacturer and same type being the same. Too much variation in raw materials and manufacturing. I do love how people extrapolate conclusions about a typical tire/mfg. based on an extremely small sample size...this is the error of premature generalization (Daniel, 1976).

BTW, the insides of my tires wear as well....NOT because the alignment is bad, because I like the aggressive alignment for handling....to each his own.

Quick Reply: Sumitomos-7,000 miles down to wear bars