Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me introduce myself, new owner of a 996 tt.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:25 AM
mårran
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let me introduce myself, new owner of a 996 tt.

My name is Robin in i am an addict... Isn't that the right way to get started? Well here is a short story about me: I have always loved cars and had a wide variety of them in the last sixteen years, some good, some bad and some that will never be forgotten.

I live in northern europe. Helsinki, the capital of Finland to be precise. Our climate is quite chilly at times(we had ten inches of snow yesterday...) so the tt will be hibernating thru the winter. I am blessed with a big happy family try to understand my obsession with cars. I have three kids, the girls are ten and eight plus the little guy which is only two weeks old at this time.
I also have two dogs, a german shepherd(the guard dog)and german coarse haired pointer(the hunting dog). From time to time it is a bit hectic at home but then i have my wonderful wife who keeps everything in working order and makes me smile every day
Old 12-01-2012, 01:54 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the fold
Old 12-01-2012, 01:56 AM
SiFi1886
Instructor

Hi! Show us your TT
Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 AM
mårran
AutoX

Default Continued...

For some odd reason i could not write any more in my first post so i'll continue here...(maybe som kind of filter for too much information??)
So then, let us get down to business.. The turbo. We used to own a 1988 3.2 911 Carrera back in 2000 but had to sell it as we needed two "normal" cars in our household. The 996tt had just been released and it was a true dream car at that time. Fast forward to may 2012 and one sunday morning while having breakfast we started discussing the matter of our garage that was full of rubbish... None of our cars (VW Touareg Hybrid, VW Multivan 4motion) would fit in there due to width issues. I suggested that maybe it was time for a P car and my wife did not dismiss the thought... The sunday i cleared out the garage and we went and had a look at a 996 C2 that one of my friends who import cars from Italy had sold to a customer. It was black with black sports interior and was lowered. Nice one i thought but as we got into our car and drove home in silence my wife uttered the words that changed our destiny: "What a booring car, if we get a 911 it must be a turbo...."
My jaw dropped and i almost hit the car in front of us.. One week later our 996 tt was on the way from Italy.
This was the first time i bought a car without seeing it first but my friends brother live in Italy and makes his living trading exotic cars. The car was properly checked at a Porsche service center and all added up. The car is a 2001 tt with 119000km on tap, well maintained and totally stock. Lapis blue/ Savanna beige.

My first impressions of the car made my knees weak as it was just as good as i had hoped. The only minor flaws were the scraped front splitter and some scuffing on the right side wheels. I drove the tt to work and washed it properly, checked all the fluids and general mechanic condition. The it was time for my first proper test drive... What a feeling. First time i revved it over 4000rpm i smiled like an total idiot. First time i went wot thru gears 2-4 i laughed out loud like a madman. I was in love! This was in the start of june but since then i have only driven 2500km... Lots of work and family activities has been taking up so much of my time and now the car is hibernating in our narrow garage.. I will post some pictures as soon as i find the memory card reader and there will be some mods during winter. Thank you for bearing with me telling my short biography and a big thumbs up for thr Rennlist forums as i have found lots of useful info here!! Rob
Attached Images  

Last edited by mårran; 12-01-2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Picture added
Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

Welcome and congratulations! I love this color!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome marran! That is a great color combo. You should drive it plenty, except when the snow gets too deep.

From your ownership onwards, document ALL maintenance from the drivetrain, exterior, interior, suspension, etc. so you can truly enjoy your "new" Turbo. Props to your wife for suggesting one.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 AM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mårran
My name is Robin in i am an addict...
My name is Michael and I am an addict as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome, Robin. I remember that stupid grim and maniacal laugh the first time I drove my TT also. I bet the majority of members experienced the same thing. I see car commercials trying to depict that effect for other car brands, but I picture the Porsche engineers chuckling to themselves, knowing it was built into our TT genes.
Best of luck with the car, and I also love the color combo.
Dave
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the club!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome! A beautiful car and a beautiful color.

We can identify with your description of driving it on boost for the first time. That "push-you-way-back-into-the-seat" adrenaline rush that drives your heart beat into mild stroke territory, and leaves you wide-eyed and and taking deep breaths, while thinking about the possibilities for more to come.

When I was buying, the seller turned to me (after a spirited test drive) and said, "it's scary fast, isn't it?" An apt description for sure.

Post more photos when you can.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
mårran
AutoX

Some issues were corrected asap, new front splitter, new front tires(rear ones were like new and dot labeled 4511), curb rashes on the right side wheels corrected and painted, minor paint correction and menzerna power lock shield, new oil and filter (gulf racing 10-60w). The tt is now in ok condition but...Now i have a huuuuge problem as it will see some track time and i do love to drive it hard now and then. A trip to nurburgring is scheduled next summer and i do not want to destroy the engine. Running totally stock will not be an option. Some kind of modifications to the suspension will be made, maybe only bilstein b6 shocks and h&r swaybars or then pss 9+sways, toyo r888 medium/soft stock size and more power is on the way. Umw seems to be the way to go but then again i have some contacts in the racing world that may make my wallet uber thin...

Rob
Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, Rob!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

UMW IS the way to go for a tune - and new tirbos if you really feel the need
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

great color combo. welcome to your next addiction!

Quick Reply: Let me introduce myself, new owner of a 996 tt.