Sponsored by:

Options on 2nd gear pop out

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Options on 2nd gear pop out

I am just attempting to learn as much as I can as I search for a 996TT. From what I have read, the pop out is most common on the 2001 models but can still occur on later models. If you have not experienced this problem, the detent can be used.....and is recommended.

If the problem is already there, is the only option a gear box rebuild from Gbox? If so, I assume that you have to pull the gearbox, send it in and they will rebuild and send it back. How tough is it to remove the gearbox? Does the engine have to come out too? I have a lift and have helped drop engines in aircooled 911's so I am okay with getting my hands greasy, but I would rather not

I emailed gbox just for price on a rebuilt gearbox. Is there any other diy solution for this issue. From what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, any 996TT that has had track time has a higher potential to have this problem. I will likely want to do some track time eventually. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
I am just attempting to learn as much as I can as I search for a 996TT. From what I have read, the pop out is most common on the 2001 models but can still occur on later models. If you have not experienced this problem, the detent can be used.....and is recommended.

If the problem is already there, is the only option a gear box rebuild from Gbox? If so, I assume that you have to pull the gearbox, send it in and they will rebuild and send it back. How tough is it to remove the gearbox? Does the engine have to come out too? I have a lift and have helped drop engines in aircooled 911's so I am okay with getting my hands greasy, but I would rather not

I emailed gbox just for price on a rebuilt gearbox. Is there any other diy solution for this issue. From what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, any 996TT that has had track time has a higher potential to have this problem. I will likely want to do some track time eventually. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
My 03 Turbo's 6-speed came out to be replaced under warranty and the Porsche tech left the engine in the car. He used a special (tall!) jack to support the engine while the tranny was out. The car stayed on the lift at above head level for a few days until the replacement tranny arrived and could be installed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

rather than focus on the issue, given you haven't yet chosen a car, find one that doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms of having the problem. best to go with MY '03 and after, as porsche seemed to quietly address the issue in their post "02 builds through gear stack placement adjustments and such. as to cause and propensity, "tracking" isn't a contributant per se, though lousy shifting can be.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I read everything I could on several different forums regarding the pop out issue before I bought my Turbo. I nearly convinced myself I needed a Tip. I had previously driven a 996 6 speed without issue for 7 years. In my search for a Turbo for nearly a year, the car I decided on was a manual trans. It only had less than 15K miles and was mint in every respect and passed a very thorough PPI at a P dealership.

I've had the car about 18 months now with no shifting issues and feel I can go years with no pop out. I am conscious every time I drive aggressively and either upshift or downshift into second to wait until the trans is ready before I move the lever. It's something I can feel and know if I'm out of sync and make the shift too quick then something is going to take the hit. Too much of this will cause the issue of it popping out of gear. Second gear is the only one I can feel this notchiness and need to shift slowly in.

I don't know what to do on upshifting to speed things up, but downshifting I rev the motor to match rpms and sometimes double clutch and easily slip the lever in second. I've had other cars where this is necessary as well. I sometimes feel the rpms are slow to drop and hang a bit when reving fast in first gear, this makes an already bad problem worse. I'm blaming the throttle by wire as this never happened on my '99 996 mechanical cable throttle that always felt direct.

Anyway, I hope this helps you see a bit more into what it's like to live with a 6 speed Turbo. I'd buy another and am not really complaining, just a bit disappointed as I feel all the other Porsches I've owned from 914s to SCs all shifted perfectly. The Turbo shifts OK but I think it could be much better.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^+1
felt the same until I did the lwfw and gt2 conversion. It now shifts perfectly
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Gern
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 02 TT has a somewhat "notchy" feel going into second, particularly when cold. My sense is that is baseline behavior for these transmissions, weak 2nd gear synchro and all. The shift action in my car was helped greatly by ditching the imprecise Schnell short shifter, installed by the first owner, for the GT3 unit. The gear oil was also changed to synthetic (Redline? I believe is what my mechanic used). My mechanic mentioned that he feels the short shifter trades higher effort for shorter throws. He feels that this shorter and more forceful gear change can lead to premature wear on the synchros. I have no idea if that's true. The shifting in my car is now much better, but it is still not the equal of my previous RS60 Boxster.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i feel it's important to keep the gear oil relatively "fresh". i think the service interval as recommended by porsche is optimistic. when i switch out my gear oil ( done it twice on two 996t's ..redline 90 ) it always feels better, esp at cold startups when our cars tend to stay in gear ( ahem ). "notchy" is about right. i have the 997 ssk and i don't feel i'm sacrificing anything for a shorter throw. this trans can just be notchy when cold. was same with stock shifter ( again, when cold ). my take. my car shifts perfectly.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing i think that adds to the 2nd gear pop out is the degredation of the slave and accumulator over time. As my slave started showing signs of the dreaded check valve issues, the dissengagement and catch was close to the floor, hence maybe putting an extra strain on the 2nd gear synchros since if you have a tendancy to shift fast, and not fully depressing the clutch to the floor, it would result in wear. Now that the slave and accumulator have been replaced with a bleed. the actual disengagement and catch moved up a bit, providing plenty of clearence to fully disengage! Just a thought but one would tend to believe this could add to the problem.

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 10-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Sql
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck with installing the detent?

Quick Reply: Options on 2nd gear pop out