Sponsored by:

Mods on a 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 AM
billqj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mods on a 996TT

Sorry if I'm repeating previous threads, but I need informed input on a '02 996TT I'm considering buying. It had a new factory crate engine about 7000 miles ago, mileage now is 22,000. At the same time these mods were installed:

Ultimate Motor Werks Stage 3 Kit (510awhp) 650bhp
-Tuned ECU 1.2-1.3 Bar
-Stage 3 Zero Clearance Turbochargers (Spool 2100rpm)
-Ported Factory Headers
-Sportec Carbon Fiber Intake System
-Upgraded FPR
-Lightweight Clutch Kit w/ Sachs Motorsports Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and GT3 Clutch Disk
GT2 Rear Spoiler
Custom 19" Wheels
JIC Fully Adjustable Suspension (Professionally installed and Corner weighted)

I will only use the car on the street, I'm not into racing or DE. Here are my questions;

Will these mods affect the reliability, drivability, or maintainance expense compared to a stock car? If maintained properly, will they last long term as well as stock?

Will they make the car touchy, rough riding, difficult to drive...again compared to stock?

Any other significant issues on these mods?

Many thanks to you RLers who have modded cars for your comments.

Bill
Old 09-23-2012, 08:48 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They sound like UMW mods, and those are tops...not likely if really all UMW. Get data and perhaps contact Kevin at UMW....if they are those mods, he and you will need to know about each other as normal wear issues down the road will be best served by, say,, a UMW clutch plate, etc.

Me, I'd do a ppi, check leakdown, etc.

Wheels, suspension, and intake. No.

Car should have an exhaust too....

Spoiler: no..if you are on the street and going under 120mph, not much....the front may feel light unless it has a gt2 front too.

The ECU is the issue...and UMW tune is key. Good gas and cool down for 2m at the end of the drive too....

My 10c is there is T2 has 350k on his stock car. There is probably a finite amount of abuse these cars can take. They do break. The more you push, the more you get to the threshold of breaking them. It has to have been made slightly less than a 350k mile car with that stuff...perhaps 225k. Who knows. It comes down to abuse by the driver...those sound like top mods.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

those are high end, expensive mods. Not usually done by someone who drives the car to church on Sunday. I'd be more interested in how the car was used. Needing a new engine at 15k miles is a tad unusual. Why? Get an ECU readout. Talk to Kevin.
Could be a good car, but I would be weary.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

by the way, my first 996TT had a JIC suspension. The springs on the system will determine compliance. I have forgotten the exact weights but I started with their lighter set up, and it was too compliant for what I wanted. Went with their heaviest setup, and very stiff - which was what I wanted.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kevin at UMW will SURELY know the owner. Which makes it hard to get his conflicted opinion... is the current owner here or over on 6speedonline? This car sounds familiar.

Nothing about those mods cause me major pause. Nice balance actually.

A
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you plan on keeping the car and using it and the mods are something you desire/understand go for it,otherwise save your money and buy a nice stock car=it will be easier to sell.I can afford to do upgrades but since I drive my car only on public roads 415hp is plenty and I will keep it stock.I have spent a fortune on my other cars in mods that will never return a penny lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

"Will these mods affect the reliability, drivability, or maintainance expense compared to a stock car?"

Yes, very much so

" If maintained properly, will they last long term as well as stock?"

The mods may last, but your motor will most likely wear a lot faster. Bearings, rings, lifters, tensioners and most internal parts will be much more highly stressed than in a stock motor. Your trans and diffs will be subjected to increased loads and will wear accordingly.

"Will they make the car touchy, rough riding, difficult to drive...again compared to stock?"

Yes, but if you're looking for a "race car" for street only, this may not be a bad thing.

"Any other significant issues on these mods?"

A modded car is an expression of what is preferred for its owner, for a particular purpose. Stock is pretty good for everybody, but perfect for very few. I have modded virtually most every vehicle I've owned for decades. After taking a bath at resell time and experiencing a limited market, I've left my last few Porsches pretty close to stock. They sell quicker and for more money. I have a modded Jeep and lots of motorcycles that I tinker with. I don't need to put $ tens of thousands $ in the P cars to be happy, only to make them worth a lot less when selling time comes.

Finally, if you understand all this and like the car, go for it!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 AM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the mods are something that you feel enhance the car go for it. Modded cars tend to require service a little more often. More frequent oil changes, more frequent spark plug changes and on a turbo more opportunity for boost leaks, diverter valve issues etc. And of course the wear depends on how hard the car is driven.

If the power is worth the extra work enjoy it, just be aware of the trade offs.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have almost the identical set-up...although a different suspension and different exterior mods (TechArt and Strosek). The car is lots of fun to drive...very quick. The only issues I've had are with the fuel system. I have had two ruptured fuel hoses and my car is being flat bedded as we speak for the exact same issue (I suspect another ruptured hose)...don't know the root cause for this issue. The tune and the turbos are awesome.

I'm in the Republic of Boulder also.

Quick Reply: Mods on a 996TT