Finally pulled the trigger on a 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Walshman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally pulled the trigger on a 996 turbo

Hello all,

Well after 6 months or so, I have purchased my first new to me 996tt. The only issue is that it's 1300 miles away. I am having the car shipped to me and should get it next Monday or Tuesday. The car is a 2004 Polar Silver (light silver, which I believe is Polar Silver) one owner car with 28,000 miles and no mods. I purchased the car from Alb, NM.

Unusual, but Porsche refused to do a PPI on the car and I was told that they don't do PPI's. I had a shop called Hans Wittler perform the PPI. I felt pretty comfortable with the results, but there are some questions that I have.

The heated seat on the drivers seat does not work. The light turns red, but there is no heat. Is this most likely the heating element?

The only other issue with the car is tiny dimples in the paint on the rear fenders. These dimples cannot be seen with the naked eye. The person who completed the inspection advised that he flooded the car with fluorescent light to see. He said that there are no tell tale signs that the car has been painted or had body work.

The seller of the car advised that the front bumper has been resprayed but no panels have been repainted. The inspection was very clean besides this. The technician advised that the car was a garage beauty. Anybody have any ideas about the paint?

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm a little nervous and anxious at the same time and can't wait to be a part of the P-community! I know that it is a risk buying this car sight unseen, but I had a good feel for the seller and car appears to be in excellent condition. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Congratulations!!! About your seat heating issue, very good diy by slider here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...r-cushion.html
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, congratulations on the your new Porsche. The 996TT is a great Porsche. Interesting that the dealer would not do a PPI. I have had several dealers complete a PPI without any concerns. As far as dimples, post a picture or two for review.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Walshman
Hello all,

Well after 6 months or so, I have purchased my first new to me 996tt. The only issue is that it's 1300 miles away. I am having the car shipped to me and should get it next Monday or Tuesday. The car is a 2004 Polar Silver (light silver, which I believe is Polar Silver) one owner car with 28,000 miles and no mods. I purchased the car from Alb, NM.

Unusual, but Porsche refused to do a PPI on the car and I was told that they don't do PPI's. I had a shop called Hans Wittler perform the PPI. I felt pretty comfortable with the results, but there are some questions that I have.

The heated seat on the drivers seat does not work. The light turns red, but there is no heat. Is this most likely the heating element?

The only other issue with the car is tiny dimples in the paint on the rear fenders. These dimples cannot be seen with the naked eye. The person who completed the inspection advised that he flooded the car with fluorescent light to see. He said that there are no tell tale signs that the car has been painted or had body work.

The seller of the car advised that the front bumper has been resprayed but no panels have been repainted. The inspection was very clean besides this. The technician advised that the car was a garage beauty. Anybody have any ideas about the paint?

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm a little nervous and anxious at the same time and can't wait to be a part of the P-community! I know that it is a risk buying this car sight unseen, but I had a good feel for the seller and car appears to be in excellent condition. Thanks for any help.
Bet the "dimples" is hail damage. Many cars that live in areas where T-storms (and hail) are common get these unless the owner is very very lucky and very careful.

Post a pic.

I got some -- very very hard to see unless one know how and where to look -- on my VW Golf TDi. My Boxster never got any even though it was caught out a few times.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Congrats on the Turbo!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Porsche refused to do a PPI on the car and I was told that they don't do PPI's.
Dealers are good for only warranty work nothing else
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats. I wouldn't worry too much if you got a good PPI. Just enjoy it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You should be very happy with your car and surprised as well.

My last 3 cars, 2 Porsches and a new Lexus were purchased out of state. After thorough PPI, grilling the owners/sellers the final deciding factor was the degree of emotional arousal. This may sound silly, but to me as far as cars go, first impressions are everlasting and I always relate to them by how I felt the first time I saw it, drove it, etc.

Let us know your thoughts when you receive it and pics too.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hans Whittler knows their stuff, I'd trust them.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on your Turbo! They are honest to gawd supercars, IMO impossible to get more car for your $ right now. Plus I like your color.

I agree with the possible hail damage, easy to fix with the new paintless dent removal these days.

This forum is a great community and a great resource, use it!

Cheers
Mikey
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

Hello all,

"Dimples" or fish eyes usually means car has been repainted. One way to tell if your car has paint work or not is to put a paint gauge up against it. Take your car to a local porsche dealership and have someone there run a meter on it (free service).
Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Walshman
4th Gear

Well I wanted to report back since I recived the car late Sunday night. All I can say is WOW! What a car. I had a 2007 C6 Corvete and the difference in fit and finish is unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, the Corvette was a great car for the money, but the 911tt is in a different league.

I am happy to report that the paint on the car is flawless. The "dimples" in the car is the protective coating from the factory and is located on the lip of the wheel wells. I have been assured that this is factory and is used to protect the paint near the wheels.

I know many of you do a tune and exhaust on this car, but to be quite honest I think this car is perfect in stock form. Who knows, I may have a different opinion after driving the car for awhile, but this car is a rocket in stock form. I am actually annoyed at myself that it took 35 years for me to finally get a car that meets all my expectations!

I honestly cannot see myself driving anything else in the future and am happy to be in a 911tt! I will be posting pics shortly when I figure out how to do it. Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

The "dimples" in the car is the protective coating from the factory and is located on the lip of the wheel wells. I have been assured that this is factory and is used to protect the paint near the wheels.
Yes, it's factory. No worries.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Congrats, glad you like it. And you are right, once you've had a turbo, there is no going back.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Good luck with your new baby. You're right, there's nothing like a turbo.

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger on a 996 turbo