Old 08-02-2012 | 06:12 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Default ECU scan impressions needed.

I'm looking at an X50 996 Turbo and the ECU scan reads as follows:

Number of ignitions range 1 11514/1199.3h
Number of ignitions range 2 56/1196.7h
Operating hours counter 1200.6

The car has 34,112 miles on it so, according to the scan, it has an average speed of 28.41 mph throughout its life.

What do you guys think as far as the engine being compromised or not due to the above range 1 and 2 ignitions and wether or not the mileage seems realistic based on the miles/operating hours?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cibergypsy; 08-02-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2012 | 06:40 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Nothing to worry about if we look at the ignition range....
Old 08-02-2012 | 06:53 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Range 1 is going to happen because how fast these cars accelerate in first so its bound to hit the limiter if you are a newbie at driving this car. The range 2 however is a different story. That's when the car has been forced to be over revved maybe by someone missing a gear and going to first instead of third on a downshift.
Old 08-02-2012 | 07:02 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan87951
That's when the car has been forced to be over revved maybe by someone missing a gear and going to first instead of third on a downshift.
This is incorrect...do a search it has been debated many times and lots of evidence the type 2s can be created several ways. Lots of cars have type 2s with NO issue.
Old 08-02-2012 | 07:17 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Thanks! I just don't want to jump into a car that will have difficulty selling in the future, from an ECU scan standpoint, if potential buyers would be turned off by it.
Old 08-02-2012 | 07:55 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Get a good PPI done , a good test of the second gear pop-out and post pictures of your new ride!!!!!
Old 08-02-2012 | 07:58 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wross996tt
This is incorrect...do a search it has been debated many times and lots of evidence the type 2s can be created several ways. Lots of cars have type 2s with NO issue.
I have done a search and talked to a few service advisors to confirm this. I never claimed a car with type 2's will have "issues". IMO if there are a lot of type 2's it was probably raced or driven extremely hard.
Old 08-02-2012 | 09:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
I'm looking at an X50 996 Turbo and the ECU scan reads as follows:

Number of ignitions range 1 11514/1199.3h
Number of ignitions range 2 56/1196.7h
Operating hours counter 1200.6

The car has 34,112 miles on it so, according to the scan, it has an average speed of 28.41 mph throughout its life.

What do you guys think as far as the engine being compromised or not due to the above range 1 and 2 ignitions and wether or not the mileage seems realistic based on the miles/operating hours?

Thanks in advance.
Porsche techs I have talked to about overrevs tell me the counts mean nothing unless the engine is acting up, showing signs of having suffered from teh overrevs. Then they mean something if the owner is seeking redress under warranty.

The techs simply advise that the car must be driven, and driven long enough to give the DME plenty of time to make sure all systems are AOK and for the engine to act up, if it is going to, from either the effects of the overrevs or for some other reasons.

How long should the car be driven?

The techs mentioned they'd like to see at least one hour of engine run time since the last above range 1 overrev event.

Make that: ... at least one hour of engine run time since the last overrev event. That's any range.

Unlikely you'll get an hour's test ride/drive with the car but if you work it right the engine may run nearly an hour.

Visit the car cold and be sure the CEL and in fact all warning lights come on when the key is turned to the on position, then go off when the engine starts.

Let the engine idle until nearly warm, or warm enough to check the oil level.

Then have the seller take you out -- with you as a passenger -- on a 15 mile test ride.

The route should allow the driver to demo the car in a variety of situations.

Back at the starting point now as a test driver take the car out and follow the same route, drive the car the same way.

If after the above the CEL is off, if the engine is not making any troubling noises, and the rest of the car checks out, chances are very good the car is ok.

But give that engine some run time!

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 08-03-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added: Make that...
Old 08-02-2012 | 11:43 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't be concerned about the ignitions at all as long as it runs fine per Macster. These motors, due to their high-compression, will begin showing problems (making noises) almost immediately if there is any damage caused by an over rev. Get a good PPI report and buy the car and enjoy.

Last edited by mmporsche; 08-02-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-2012 | 12:54 AM
SSST
Drifting

56 type 2 ignitions is nothing. That's basically 9 2/3 revolutions, if I understand it correctly, so a fraction of a fraction of a second. (too tired to do the math)

Based on the hours where it occurred it looks like someone took it for an aggressive test drive.
Old 08-03-2012 | 09:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My car has 3,224 hours for 93,000 miles. An average of 28.84 miles per hour. Pretty close to yours so sounds about right.
Old 08-03-2012 | 11:58 AM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
56 type 2 ignitions is nothing. That's basically 9 2/3 revolutions, if I understand it correctly, so a fraction of a fraction of a second. (too tired to do the math)

Based on the hours where it occurred it looks like someone took it for an aggressive test drive.

X2 on the type 2 ignitions. Another factor to consider is if the car has a "flash" because with most flashes it raises the redline a tad, hence increasing the number of type 1 and possibly type 2 overrevs.

That DME scan looks fine IMO.
Old 08-03-2012 | 04:14 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan87951
I have done a search and talked to a few service advisors to confirm this. I never claimed a car with type 2's will have "issues". IMO if there are a lot of type 2's it was probably raced or driven extremely hard.
As already posted this is likely an event that lasted less than a second.
Old 08-04-2012 | 02:10 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

For me the most important thing is how many hours since the last overrev. Internal damage can take time to manifest. I like to see a few thousand miles, this car has had 100 miles or less since the type 2.. the type one was minutes ago.
Old 08-08-2012 | 09:23 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Guys thanks for all the replies. Paint meter readings shows 8 mils all around. The car has 2 new front mismatched tires, the front bumper is resprayed in situ, without removing it from the car - as there were subtle signs of overspray on a headlamp rubber trim (very small overspray but I saw it) - and doesn't align properly and the wheel well liner of the driver side had one of the slots for the air to pass through broken. The front bumper doesn't look properly put in place either.

Those seem to be signs that the car had some sort of frontal collision that was repaired on the cheap. The CarFax is clean but things can be fixed out of pocket, specially if on the cheap. Were it not for the 8 mil reading on the paint, there wouldn't be any signs, however subtle, that anything besides the front bumper has been painted at all. It looks factory and only that paint meter reading raises suspicions. A local body shop - with no affiliation to the seller- said that a portion of factory cars come out with paint defects and are subsequently repainted at the factory all around; he said that it can be the cause of the high reading if there is no evidence anywhere that the car has ever had an accident, done by close inspection.

I've decided to move onto another car because there are a doubts that have a major impact if they cannot be investigated with 100% certainty, specially at a $54k price! At that price it has to be on the showroom in a condition that one would have absolutely no doubts about it.

Last edited by cibergypsy; 08-09-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: ECU scan impressions needed.