Swapped Brake Pads Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Swapped Brake Pads Help

Hey all, hope someone can help.

Had pagid brake pads installed in early June. On Sat I swapped the original pads back, plenty of meat on them. When I took the car out after the brakes had a grinding sound when the brakes were applied. Then there was a metal sound when driving. Almost like brake sensors rubbing (I took the sensors out). Put the backing plates back in without taking the calipers off. Was wondering if the pads might need to mate with the rotors again.

Ay suggestions appreciated. This was my first time swapping brake pads on the turbo.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Verify that everything is assembled correctly. The pads are symmetrical so a outer will fit as an inner and can be flipped where the leading edge will become trailing. The problem is that they usually wear in a slight bevel and if are not placed exactly in the same position as removed the contact area under pressure may be all wrong. Even if placed exactly as removed the rotors are worn more now and full contact has to be re-established.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:15 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Verify that everything is assembled correctly. The pads are symmetrical so a outer will fit as an inner and can be flipped where the leading edge will become trailing. The problem is that they usually wear in a slight bevel and if are not placed exactly in the same position as removed the contact area under pressure may be all wrong. Even if placed exactly as removed the rotors are worn more now and full contact has to be re-established.

Thanks for your input. Fianlly had time to check them out, managed to put one pad in backwards.

Quick Reply: Swapped Brake Pads Help