TachiF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Proxes R888

Does anyone have current experience with Toyo Proxes R888 tires in OEM sizes:

1. Noise
2. Wet/dry performance for street driving
3. Any other pros and/or cons and considerations

Wondering between R888 & Kumho Ecsta Xs .....

THANKS for Ur sharing....
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Hi.

I have experience with R888 toyo's. However not on the 996 turbo but on the my previous RS4 B5 Bi-turbo ( MRC tuned 509 BHP, 510ft/lb) , 4wd and weight nearly the same . Did trackdays at Castle-combe in Uk and many trip to the Nurburgring in Germany.

They are really good tyres , excellent grip on the dry. As expected they are "soapy" when cold but when hot they stick well. However you will reach their limit quickly and when too hot they start to give up progressively.

On the damp they are dangerous and on the wet ....forget about it . Trust me did a lap on the wet at the Ring and nearly did kiss an armco ...and I wasn't going fast at all.

I personaly think they are more suitable for much lighter cars. If it is for occasional use on track yes they are good value for money. If you are keen on racing get something superior like the Michelin or Dunlop .

If you go for the toyo's make sure to reduce the pressure in them all round , check the pressure after few laps and you will be surprised when you will see the dial ....All the best .
Old 07-21-2012, 04:55 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

I just spotted it will be for street use.....

I did run them on the street as they are road legal over here. Did put my normal tyres straight away !!! Far too noisy, the ride is much more hard as the R888 side walls are really thick and stiff. Slippery when cold and to be honest if you want to get some grip from them you will have to drive the way the cops don't like...on the damp and wet on normal road they are lethal, honest. I wouldn't bother except if you live somewhere really hot and dry all the time.

they are 2 type of compound . Soft and medium. Medium is best.

The only positive point is on the car they really look mean , they are large tyres.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:06 AM
TachiF
Advanced

Default Thank U so much Crazyfrog !!!

Yes, I knew they were great tires.... My concern was how fast they wears ut... I live in Puerto Rico (hot and a lot of humidity) all year round.... I will give them a "chance" to see how they work out. I just got the UMW Stage 2A so I was wondering on getting new tires (way more power). I did ordered the R888. Time will tell...

Thank U so much for sharing....
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the track I got over 40 heat cycles out of a set, so durability is good for R compounds, but they are very loud. I switched to Nitto NT-01's, same durability with a lot less noise.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use them on the track, but there are a lot more suitable options for street driving.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

I run R888s on the track and love them, but would not recommend them for street use. No good in the rain, like PR. I run PS2s on the street.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
TurboTodd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run them on the street and love em. Tons of traction.
I do not use the car as a daily driver and never in the rain.

I have about 3k on the current set with many miles left to go.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes R888