Sponsored by:

Actuator seized.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Angelus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actuator seized.

Porsche offer a free health check of the car once a year, as a way of drumming up business. You get to see your car up on the ramp and ask the tech' any questions you might have. During mine today, he showed me that one of my mine is seized. He showed me how it is threaded, but if it can't come off the turbo, I need a new turbo too? Anyone had this?

Quite pleased if this is the only thing wrong after 3000 miles in 8 days.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Good ol acid rain, and just damp weather rusting the turbocharger. You will need to replace one turbocharger. The shaft for the gate that connects to the actuator freezes from corrosion.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might as well go for the UMW stage 2a upgrade. You lucky dog.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:51 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Any preventative maintenance that can be done....oil/teflon, etc.

Jeff
Old 06-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Angelus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin
Good ol acid rain, and just damp weather rusting the turbocharger. You will need to replace one turbocharger. The shaft for the gate that connects to the actuator freezes from corrosion.
So, is it the actuator that is seized, or the shaft for the gate? The technician thought it might come out, but said he had encountered a few that had to be replaced as complete items?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Angelus
Instructor

Sorry, just re-read that it's not what I meant to ask. Sorry, what I meant is what's the most common part to seize? The actuator or the shaft?

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

I'm having a hard time envisioning what you're describing, but would a product like PB Blaster or Kroil help in loosening the seized actuator?

Otherwise, maybe have your stock K24's sent off to a turbo-rebuilder. I see you're in Scotland, but over here we have shops like Blouch that will rebuild/refurbish turbochargers... you could even have them upgraded into a K24 Billet-wheel turbo, if you wished.

Alternatively, if you need a new turbo, watch the forum classifieds here and at 6speed - you see stock K24's come up for sale somewhat regularly, at a much more reasonable price than a brand new replacement part from the dealer.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Angelus, the actuators rarely fail. The turbine gate does fail. Corrosion welds the shaft to the internal bushing.

If you want to see if your actuator still works unbolt it from the compressor housing (2 10mm bolts) Apply some air to the actuator. If the rod move outward it is functioning correctly.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Angelus
Instructor

Thanks Kevin, I'll give it a try before I go ahead and change it. I'm trying to find a replacement turbo to put on, but I'm having difficulty. If anyone sees one, please let me know. I thought I'd struck lucky and found someone selling new ones in the UK.
http://www.carparts911.co.uk/turbocharger
I thought there was a zero missing from the price and I'd found a bargain, but after phoning them, they said it was an original Porshce part and gave me the part number. It was for the diverter valve? New from Porsche today, they are £3000.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lee, I have replaced 8 units this year for froze wastegates. I have them in stock. If you can't find one send me a email.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Angelus
Instructor

Email sent. I forgot to say that it is my passenger side, your driver side that is faulty.

Thank you Kevin.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Angelus
Instructor

Having put the car on a ramp this morning and looked at it, I'm still confused. The gate was stiff, however a bit of movement and it freed off. Some non flammable penetrating fluid was applied and it freed right off. It all seems to work the way it should on both sides. It has not made a difference to the performance of the car though? I'm still getting 1.1 bar boost and it runs fine. The boost disappears when you lift and it spools up quickly when I floor it? How is the system supposed to work? What should have been the difference from freeing off the actuator?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Angelus
I'm still getting 1.1 bar boost and it runs fine. The boost disappears when you lift and it spools up quickly when I floor it? How is the system supposed to work?
Um, yeah - that's how it supposed to work, with a turbo motor.

Sounds like everything's fine for now... I'd just keep an eye on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

How many miles are on your car?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelus
Having put the car on a ramp this morning and looked at it, I'm still confused. The gate was stiff, however a bit of movement and it freed off. Some non flammable penetrating fluid was applied and it freed right off. It all seems to work the way it should on both sides. It has not made a difference to the performance of the car though? I'm still getting 1.1 bar boost and it runs fine. The boost disappears when you lift and it spools up quickly when I floor it? How is the system supposed to work? What should have been the difference from freeing off the actuator?
Stock Turbo shouldn't produce 1.1 bar boost. If the car's stock that high of a boost I would take as a sign the is not functioning properly and the engine is being overboosted.

Since this is just one actuator the bad side turbo may be making a lot more boost.

All of the above of course assuming my well, assumptions are correct on what the actuator that is siezed is supposed to do: limit boost.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Actuator seized.