Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actuator seized.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Angelus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has been "flashed", or re-mapped as it's know over here. I was getting 1.1 bar boost when I bought the car and spoke with the company who done all the work to it. 1.1 bar boost is expected, if I run Shell V-Power fuel, cheap unleaded only gives me 0.9 bar.

What I've found is, even with the seized actuator, it didn't make any noticeable difference to the boost/performance of the car?

It now has 69,000 miles on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelus
The car has been "flashed", or re-mapped as it's know over here. I was getting 1.1 bar boost when I bought the car and spoke with the company who done all the work to it. 1.1 bar boost is expected, if I run Shell V-Power fuel, cheap unleaded only gives me 0.9 bar.

What I've found is, even with the seized actuator, it didn't make any noticeable difference to the boost/performance of the car?

It now has 69,000 miles on it.
Ok, flashed it is then and my assumption was wrong.

Those actuators whatever they do are there for a reason. Get the bad one fixed or it appears if is not fixable replace the affected turbo.

With a flash you want those things, everything with the car, working 100%.

Even a stock engine needs this. Demanding 200Hp more from these engines means every critical/vital system is much more critical/vital to the mod'd engine's continued good health.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

my x50 runs 1.3 peaks at 1.4
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Angelus
Instructor

Thanks Mac', I'll order a set of actuators. The Forge ones look good. The one on my passenger side/your driver side looks like it is the lowest part of the engine and parallel to the ground. All the crap thrown up from the wheels is spraying all over it. It looks like a shield would stop it getting covered so much? Because they are handed, the other side is half way up the turbo and has a dog leg on the shaft, it isn't as bad.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Thanks Mac', I'll order a set of actuators. The Forge ones look good.
The Forge ones are allegedly very good. And, you can swap the springs for an OEM wastegate level, or a higher (i.e. 1 bar) level if desired. A nice option.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Turbo S, STOCK, produces 1.1 bar. At 30,000 mile service, car is in "splendid shape."
Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
Turbo S, STOCK, produces 1.1 bar. At 30,000 mile service, car is in "splendid shape."
You're the original owner?

I wasn't aware that any 996TT variants (base, X50, S, or even the GT2) ran over around 0.8 bar boost (conditions-dependent) from the stock ECU programming. 1.1 bar of max sustained boost definitely sounds like a car that's been tuned, or has something else going on. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

I wasn't aware that any 996TT variants (base, X50, S, or even the GT2) ran over around 0.8 bar boost (conditions-dependent) from the stock ECU programming. 1.1 bar of max sustained boost definitely sounds like a car that's been tuned, or has something else going on. Just my $0.02.
Max. boost is operating conditions dependent. Primarily -- based on my limited testing/experience -- the primary operating condition is altitude, elevation above sea level.

At lower elevations (say roughly < 3K feet) 0.7 bar boost is the most boost I've seen.

However, some road trips have me driving at elevations 4K feet, 7K feet and 8K feet (and nearly 9K feet in a few spots) above sea level and I have at these elevations done hard acceleration runs -- full throttle in 4th or 5th even 6th gear at around 2.5K rpms (in the lower gears) to around 3K rpms in 6th gear -- and have seen at the very highest elevations 0.9 bar boost for a long enough period of time to be convinced the engine was being boosted by 0.9 bar that the readings were not some anomaly.

This agrees with what I was told by senior Porsche techs that the DME will attempt to satisfy the torque demands of the driver whenever possible.

At lower elevations extreme or max torque demands -- to the upper limit allowed -- are satisfied by 0.7 bar boost.

At higher elevations max torque demands require more boost to satisfy, thus the 0.8 bar even 0.9 bar boost.

Other owners have reported similar experiences.

The Turbo S model with its higher nominal boost threshold might be able to develop even higher boost levels under similar conditions but I have no direct experience with the Turbo S. But based on my experience with my Turbo that its nominal 0.7 bar boost can obtain a legitimate bump of 0.1 or even 0.2 bar boost I would say the Turbo S could see a similar bump over its nominal boost whatever that is. I can't recall.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

my stock x50 car never boosted over .9. ever. lord knows i tried.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
Max. boost is operating conditions dependent. Primarily -- based on my limited testing/experience -- the primary operating condition is altitude, elevation above sea level.

At lower elevations (say roughly < 3K feet) 0.7 bar boost is the most boost I've seen.

However, some road trips have me driving at elevations 4K feet, 7K feet and 8K feet (and nearly 9K feet in a few spots) above sea level and I have at these elevations done hard acceleration runs -- full throttle in 4th or 5th even 6th gear at around 2.5K rpms (in the lower gears) to around 3K rpms in 6th gear -- and have seen at the very highest elevations 0.9 bar boost for a long enough period of time to be convinced the engine was being boosted by 0.9 bar that the readings were not some anomaly.

This agrees with what I was told by senior Porsche techs that the DME will attempt to satisfy the torque demands of the driver whenever possible.

At lower elevations extreme or max torque demands -- to the upper limit allowed -- are satisfied by 0.7 bar boost.

At higher elevations max torque demands require more boost to satisfy, thus the 0.8 bar even 0.9 bar boost.

Other owners have reported similar experiences.

The Turbo S model with its higher nominal boost threshold might be able to develop even higher boost levels under similar conditions but I have no direct experience with the Turbo S. But based on my experience with my Turbo that its nominal 0.7 bar boost can obtain a legitimate bump of 0.1 or even 0.2 bar boost I would say the Turbo S could see a similar bump over its nominal boost whatever that is. I can't recall.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
my stock x50 car never boosted over .9. ever. lord knows i tried.
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses - good info.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
Sorry...NO WAY a stock S will produce this sustained boost. The ECU has been flashed.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
crazyfrog
Instructor

A turbo S(x50) boost 0.9 bar max. 1 bar sometimes in full charge downhill.
My actuators were working but were properly rotten. Did replace them with some Forge Motorsport one. They resist corrosion much better than the stock one. Be aware ! Someone qualified need to fit them . Different springs set up and adjustment and sometimes ECU need to be twicked on stock car and remapped too.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Angelus
Instructor

I have been told the Forge ones are hard to set up and the stock ones are easier. Like you say, the Forge ones might last longer.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

I have been told the Forge ones are hard to set up and the stock ones are easier. Like you say, the Forge ones might last longer.
Well if you leave your car stock the Porsche one are fine , it is just they rust too quickly. If you go for remap, high flow cats, the Forge actuators will make a difference. Because they are adjustable they are much better compare to stock. They do reduce the lag.
I had my cats gutted and will have a MRC remap soon, my actuators will be finaly set once for good.

Quick Reply: Actuator seized.