Sponsored by:

Hi new member with x50

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi new member with x50

Hi my name is Jay and I have an artic silver x50 stock. It's my first Porsche. Prior to that, I had a 2004 Sti and have a driven an RS60 Spyder. Rennlist is such a wonderful source of info!

The first thing I will do to my car is get the 997SSK. I seriously cannot stand that factory shifter. Next I will need new tires. I'm leaning towards Hankook Ventus v12 only because they're bang for the buck. I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing any performance mods. AWE tuning has a kit that includes ECU tuning and an intake that will push the car to 500 hp. Right know, 450hp seems like a lot. Next year I might repaint the car and have clear bra done. I hear good things about Martino Auto Concepts. The previous owner did a crappy job repainting some of the areas. I had the car detailed and all the repainted panels were wet sanded. I'll share pictures of that when they're available.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and thank everyone who has contributed to this site with tons of info over the years.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC996x50
Hi my name is Jay and I have an artic silver x50 stock. It's my first Porsche. Prior to that, I had a 2004 Sti and have a driven an RS60 Spyder. Rennlist is such a wonderful source of info!

The first thing I will do to my car is get the 997SSK. I seriously cannot stand that factory shifter. Next I will need new tires. I'm leaning towards Hankook Ventus v12 only because they're bang for the buck. I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing any performance mods. AWE tuning has a kit that includes ECU tuning and an intake that will push the car to 500 hp. Right know, 450hp seems like a lot. Next year I might repaint the car and have clear bra done. I hear good things about Martino Auto Concepts. The previous owner did a crappy job repainting some of the areas. I had the car detailed and all the repainted panels were wet sanded. I'll share pictures of that when they're available.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and thank everyone who has contributed to this site with tons of info over the years.
O bhai, Tasweerain kidhar hain ?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 191 Posts

I too made the move from an STi (2006) to an X50. I'd love to hear your comments comparing and contrasting the two cars. If you had the short shift kit like I did in the Subaru, then I can easily see why you're itching for a new shifter.

Welcome!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
I too made the move from an STi (2006) to an X50. I'd love to hear your comments comparing and contrasting the two cars. If you had the short shift kit like I did in the Subaru, then I can easily see why you're itching for a new shifter.

Welcome!
Hi! Thanks for the welcome! I had a '04 Sti stock with factory short shifter. On paper, the two cars are somewhat similar... boxer engine, 6 speed, awd, turbo. The differences however are obvious. There's of course the power but the one thing I didn't like about the Sti was the understeer. I've driven the Sti to limit and I've realized you really can't lift off the gas or you will lose grip easily. I haven't driven the 996tt anywhere near the limit but I'm sure the car has plenty grip with all that weight in the rear and with the traction control on. Another difference I noticed is the clutch. It's much heavier on the 996tt. Also, the weight difference is noticeable.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably don't want to lift your foot off the gas when pushing hard through a sweeper in the Porsche either. All that motor hanging off the back acts like a big old pendulum. All that rubber in rear can only do so much.

Congrats on the TT and welcome to the club.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its very unlikely you will drive your 996tt anywhere near the limit.

oh no -- not the old pendulum thing again......................
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations!

I just put a post up regarding the shifting and had a lot of helpful input. I think it's terrible too. I'm going to order a EVOMS GT2 Master/Slave and a SSK - either B&M or 997.

Just last Friday I put on Yoko Advan Sport in 315/235 on 18" Fiske rims. So far, fantastic.

I have an UMW flash and boost spring that I haven't put in yet. Will let you know how that works out but SSST gave me the courage with his posts.

Best of luck.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Originally Posted by x50type
Its very unlikely you will drive your 996tt anywhere near the limit.

oh no -- not the old pendulum thing again......................
I totally agree. The gears are kinda tall. A surgeon at work who has a 997tt tells me he hasn't driven his car anywhere near the limit either.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Originally Posted by jellonailer
Congratulations!

I just put a post up regarding the shifting and had a lot of helpful input. I think it's terrible too. I'm going to order a EVOMS GT2 Master/Slave and a SSK - either B&M or 997.

Just last Friday I put on Yoko Advan Sport in 315/235 on 18" Fiske rims. So far, fantastic.

I have an UMW flash and boost spring that I haven't put in yet. Will let you know how that works out but SSST gave me the courage with his posts.

Best of luck.
Excellent work! I look forward to reading the write up!

Quick Reply: Hi new member with x50