Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One mod only which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP really has to pinpoint the significant thing/s that he would prefer to change. Impossible to give advice otherwise. There has to be one, a few things that bug you now - target those. However, there are some common things as mentioned here:
- Tune, not just for raw power - but it will typically smooth things out vs the stock tune
- Suspension - 'always' a good investment
- Short shifter
- Maybe audio, if you are into that
- Exhaust, if you are into the sound of your car (and will give a performance boost)

...so many good mods
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

If bought used (and it is not stock)….fix the previous owners mistakes. Most of those fixes/modes have been mentioned.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is in transit . I should have it next week then i will know my priorities
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
997 SSK. The shifting will feel like a sports car...short and tight.
Besides that,I've learned from this forum that any other mods you do will eventually end up costing you more money,affect resale value etc. For example...a flash will eventually lead to you having to change your clutch earlier,then you'll want bigger turbos,then a better exhaust etc....all meaning more money $$$.
Do not get fooled with statements like ' this is how the car should've rolled off the assembly line '.
I apologize if I offended anyone,it's just my opinion.
You know, while perhaps unpopular on an enthusiast site, this is a really good post.

If the OP wants a simple upgrade that'll be noticeable on every drive, 997 SSK is probably the best bet.

If he wants a sound improvement, find an exhaust with the characteristics desired. A bonus will be improved power and responsiveness.

Suspension is a great upgrade, but most advise against just doing springs with OEM shocks - so you're looking at $2-3k+, and then labor. Not inexpensive.

If he doesn't need or want the car to be any faster - a tune should be way down on his list. Essentially, it'll be $1k+ that's just wasted, based on his objectives.

Bottomline, it's really easy to drop $10-20k in mods on a 996TT. If you're a savvy shopper, you can do tune/exhaust for $4k... maybe less, if you score a good deal on a used exhaust (watch forum classifieds, BTW). But even tune/exhaust/wastgates will require an upgraded clutch sooner than later, and that'll run $4k-ish on top. So, tune/exhaust/wastegates/clutch will be $8-10k... and now you'll want a decent suspension upgrade... which will set you back $5k (or more) installed. If you're not careful, it'll never end, and you'll blink your eyes and have $20k sunk into mods for your TT.

OP, it's probably worth a little soul searching time to really consider what you want. If you think you'll own your 996TT X50 for years and years, the ROI on some of the costlier mods improves somewhat. If you think you'll flip it for some other car in the not too distant future, watch what you spend on mods carefully, IMHO. Beautiful car, BTW.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
If you're not careful, it'll never end, and you'll blink your eyes and have $20k sunk into mods for your TT.
So?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
So?
Hah! That's what I was thinking. I'm just coming up on $8K after the 1st year.

I still have plans for UMW Stage 2, Some alcantra upholstry work, Alumalook interior trim, probably a new sound system, and having my wheels painted.

That should put me a bit north of 20K in upgrades, but the car will be exactly what I want. I plan to keep it until I can't drive it anymore.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

So?
Hey Dock, couldn't tell if you were serious or not.

If you were... a couple reasons.

One, because a nice, clean 996TT X50 + $20k should get someone pretty close to an early 997.1TT, which is more powerful, better looking (subjective), better interior (hard to argue), better technology and engineering from top to bottom.

Two, because that $20k sunk in mods has negligible effects on the 996TT's value. Whether someone goes to sell it or trade it in, or heaven-forbid, some teenager in a Civic is texting instead of paying attention and slams into it, the net result is that the mod money invested is essentially gone in an instant.

I'd suspect people get to that crossroads often... they'll do tune/exhaust, and then wonder "should I keep going, or just enjoy it as it is?" I'm there with my X50 right now.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Dock, couldn't tell if you were serious or not.
Oh, I was serious.

To your first point, the 997.1 Turbo would not be more powerful if someone spent a portion of the discussed $20k on Kevin's tuning. The 997.1 would also still have the "high water" look in terms of ride height, and not handle as well as either an X73 or a quality after market suspension equipped 996 Turbo. With regard to technology, the 997.1 doesn't have better technology than my 996 Turbo in the areas where I am concerned about technology. I personally like the looks of the 996 Turbo better than the 997 Turbo inside and out.

On the second point, not everyone is interested in selling their 996 Turbo; I'm one of them. So I couldn't care less about "value".

But overall my "So?" comment was made because not everyone worries about their cars being investments. I personally ordered my 996 Turbo brand new, because that was the only way to guarantee I would get exactly what I wanted back in 2001. I consider the money I spent a great investment. The money I've spent thus far on mods is money spent to make me happy; another great investment IMO.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

You know, while perhaps unpopular on an enthusiast site, this is a really good post.

If the OP wants a simple upgrade that'll be noticeable on every drive, 997 SSK is probably the best bet.

If he wants a sound improvement, find an exhaust with the characteristics desired. A bonus will be improved power and responsiveness.

Suspension is a great upgrade, but most advise against just doing springs with OEM shocks - so you're looking at $2-3k+, and then labor. Not inexpensive.

If he doesn't need or want the car to be any faster - a tune should be way down on his list. Essentially, it'll be $1k+ that's just wasted, based on his objectives.

Bottomline, it's really easy to drop $10-20k in mods on a 996TT. If you're a savvy shopper, you can do tune/exhaust for $4k... maybe less, if you score a good deal on a used exhaust (watch forum classifieds, BTW). But even tune/exhaust/wastgates will require an upgraded clutch sooner than later, and that'll run $4k-ish on top. So, tune/exhaust/wastegates/clutch will be $8-10k... and now you'll want a decent suspension upgrade... which will set you back $5k (or more) installed. If you're not careful, it'll never end, and you'll blink your eyes and have $20k sunk into mods for your TT.

OP, it's probably worth a little soul searching time to really consider what you want. If you think you'll own your 996TT X50 for years and years, the ROI on some of the costlier mods improves somewhat. If you think you'll flip it for some other car in the not too distant future, watch what you spend on mods carefully, IMHO. Beautiful car, BTW.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure how long i will keep the car for. Because its low mileage i hope it proves to be a reliable car as i plan to use it often and hopefully it will keep me entertained. My 997 05 C2S bored me after less than a year. I usually do not mod performance cars, My 09 ZR1 is stock, only mod is a Carravagio D bottom wheel which was essential . So until i get a feel for the car i'm inclined to look for a bluetooth/Ipod solution as this i really missed in the 05
Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
My 09 ZR1 is stock, only mod is a Carravagio D bottom wheel which was essential .
Then you might find the OEM 996 Turbo steering wheel lacking. I had issues with the OEM steering wheel and ended up going with a 340mm diameter FVD steering wheel.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

The bluetooth/ipod is not really a mod...come on! At least in my opinion....
It's common sense if you really want to be in the 21st Century with technology. The stock unit sounds really well and I wouldn't change it if the pixels wouldn't go bad and if I didn't want the touchscreen,Nav,ipod/bluetooth etc. Hell,the stock CD changer wouldn't even play a regular Audio CD if I didn't record it with a certain program,leave at least 2s gaps between songs and didn't use quality Recordable CD's,not to mention MP3's and such...
Personally I love the sound of the engine!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's common sense if you really want to be in the 21st Century with technology.
Funny...My Turbo is my get away from all of that (bluetooth/iPod/NAV, etc).
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

It's like a Lay's potato chip.

I started with the 7SSK, then UMW flash, then custom exhaust, then JRZ RS coil overs. I'm done.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have about 75K in mine by the time I get done. You couldn't touch a 997 Turbo Cab for 75K when I bought mine. Actually, I suspect several of us could go drop $170K on a new turbo S if having the latest and greatest is what we were about.

That said, I don't think of my car as an investment. To me it's a hobby. I've always wanted a 911 Turbo, and I've always wanted to take a car and personalize it. I'm killing two birds with one stone and I can afford to do it. The 996 turbo was the perfect car for what I want to do at any price.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Funny...My Turbo is my get away from all of that (bluetooth/iPod/NAV, etc).
Agreed , but sometimes I gotta talk on the phone.

Quick Reply: One mod only which one?