Ask for your old parts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ask for your old parts!

All -

Just had an experience with an well regarded indie that I would like to share.

Whenever I get work done on my car(s), I always ask for the old parts back. This is for two reasons. The first is I like to inspect old parts for condition and potential indicators of problems. The second is I like to make sure the work requested was actually done.

Long story short, I just had my TT in for a tune up - plugs, MAF, coils, fuel/air filters, etc. Anyway, last night after getting it home, I was inspecting my old parts, and low and behold I notice that my "old" coil packs looked quite new, so new that I quickly realized that they were never installed and the old ones were reused. A call this morning to the owner straightened it all out. He was apologetic and promised to fix it whenever I could get there again.

Make no mistake, this guy has a very good reputation and I will use him again. My point here is not to try to smear someone who made an honest mistake, so I will not mention his name. The point I am trying to make is to save your parts as a safeguard against something like this happening. If I didnt ask to reserve my "old" parts, I would have never known the used packs were re-installed.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
All -

Just had an experience with an well regarded indie that I would like to share.

Whenever I get work done on my car(s), I always ask for the old parts back. This is for two reasons. The first is I like to inspect old parts for condition and potential indicators of problems. The second is I like to make sure the work requested was actually done.

Long story short, I just had my TT in for a tune up - plugs, MAF, coils, fuel/air filters, etc. Anyway, last night after getting it home, I was inspecting my old parts, and low and behold I notice that my "old" coil packs looked quite new, so new that I quickly realized that they were never installed and the old ones were reused. A call this morning to the owner straightened it all out. He was apologetic and promised to fix it whenever I could get there again.

Make no mistake, this guy has a very good reputation and I will use him again. My point here is not to try to smear someone who made an honest mistake, so I will not mention his name. The point I am trying to make is to save your parts as a safeguard against something like this happening. If I didnt ask to reserve my "old" parts, I would have never known the used packs were re-installed.
I almost always ask for the old parts.

Once in a while the tech -- if it is one I've not dealt with before -- will raise the issue of trust. I always reply that if I didn't trust him, the dealer or the shop, that the work is necessary and would be done right I wouldn't be asking for the old parts. Instead I'd have the car another dealer or another shop.

I'm not going to go to a place I feel I have to look over the shoulder of the tech to ensure the job is done right, the right parts (and new parts) are used, and so on. I do not have the time or the knowledge.

As is the case with you, I like to look over the old parts to see what happened, and if there's anything I could have done to postpone or prevent the part from failing/wearing out.

Also, one can gain a bit of insight into how well the parts are designed and function.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Another thing is that when upgrading, some of the replaced parts have resale value, like the turbos. I'd rather sell the parts than have the shop sell them for their gain. Having the original stock parts are also a great option when it comes time to sell the car.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

My parts so i expect them back...simple as that.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very good advice.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Simi_911
Advanced

If your mechanic is dishonest, and he works on a lot of 996s, what prevents him from putting someone else's used parts? A dishonest mechanic will find ways to circumvent your QC. The OP's situation sounds like an honest mistake, but to me a fatal one since that will make me question the shop every time (did he change my gear oil or forget...did he drain the turbos when changing oil...etc).

Good catch on the coil packs. I probably would've never noticed they were new.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simi_911
If your mechanic is dishonest, and he works on a lot of 996s, what prevents him from putting someone else's used parts? A dishonest mechanic will find ways to circumvent your QC. The OP's situation sounds like an honest mistake, but to me a fatal one since that will make me question the shop every time (did he change my gear oil or forget...did he drain the turbos when changing oil...etc).

Good catch on the coil packs. I probably would've never noticed they were new.

Simi - that he gave me back my new parts tells me his mistake was an honest one. Also, his name is frequently used on these boards - guy has been around a while and is well regarded. Im a small business owner also and I know that mistakes can happen. Its the frequency of the mistakes and willingness to make them right that determines what I think of that business. If he gave me a song and dance, I would be posting here very differently. Same thing if something similar happened the next time I went.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Simi_911
Advanced

Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
Simi - that he gave me back my new parts tells me his mistake was an honest one. Also, his name is frequently used on these boards - guy has been around a while and is well regarded. Im a small business owner also and I know that mistakes can happen. Its the frequency of the mistakes and willingness to make them right that determines what I think of that business. If he gave me a song and dance, I would be posting here very differently. Same thing if something similar happened the next time I went.
I totally agree in your situation, but wanted to say that sometimes getting your old parts back won't help you determine if work was done or done right. You did the right thing to share with us your experience. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a box full of old trans parts from my rebuild back in 2010... For the exact same reasons!

Had plugs done BY A DEALER and specifically told them not to install Beru plugs in my car, which was WHY i took the Bosch plugs with me... Guess what was in the car 18 months later when we did coils/plugs? Yup, Beru Plugs. Never will go back to that dealer...

Mike
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

they have to offer to give your parts back in Florida
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Same thing applies when buying a used car too. I have frequently come across sellers where they would rather sell the OEM parts and not give them to the new owner. I think it's very selfish and mean of the sellers to make few more dollars than doing the right thing.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always like the see the old parts even if I don't keep them. Most good mechanics will show them to you without asking.

On the OP, it sounds like there was an honest mistake, the guy owned up to it and made it right. That's about the best you can hope for
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Same thing applies when buying a used car too. I have frequently come across sellers where they would rather sell the OEM parts and not give them to the new owner. I think it's very selfish and mean of the sellers to make few more dollars than doing the right thing.
A seller decides to sell their car "as is" and a buyer decides whether to buy it or not.... simple. If the seller has spare parts laying around how is that selfish, mean and/or not doing the right thing if he sells them separately? It is probably the norm rather than the exception as well as a way to recoup some cost on mods. What if the seller sold the parts beforehand thereby depriving some future buyer of the parts? Would that be very selfish, mean and wrong? Would it be fair to assume you never buy used parts so as not to perpetuate this injustice that some would engage in?

That being said, I always hang on to my take off parts so I can offer them as value added to the selling offer to sweeten the pot. Or I pull my mods off and return the stock parts to the car as the buying pool is larger for stock cars and I get a better return back on my mod investment.

I see nothing wrong with either practice. It just is what it is... simple. YMMV

Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

When I sold the 996TT, I had so many extra parts, we filled up the inside of the car, the boot of the car, the bed of a Ford F150 and the rear interior of the second row seating in the truck.

I wanted rid of the stuff and I didn't want to deal with low ballers trying to get stuff for free... So $50K got the buyer much more than he could have hoped for.

Mike
Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't remember the last time I paid someone to install parts....

Here in CA, you cannot get parts back under warranty work....just FYI

Quick Reply: Ask for your old parts!