Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RANT trading in the car.. has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These issues are why I leave my car stock. 26,000 miles with only tires, clutch accum. ,oil changes and routine maint.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Last930
These issues are why I leave my car stock. 26,000 miles with only tires, clutch accum. ,oil changes and routine maint.
I'm not sure leaving the car stock alleviates the "issues". My car has been tuned for over seven years and I have not had issue-one. I personally think the biggest factor is how the car is treated (driven), whether it's tuned or not. Of course the level of tuning and the quality of the tuning also have an impact on "issues"; not all tuning is equal (and I'm not talking about hp/tq).
Old 04-22-2012, 12:29 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Last930
For a completely different opinion....I didn't by my TT for re-sale. I bought it to enjoy. Don't give a rats a$$ as to what others think or resale value, so like Doc, I tuned mine (actually made many mods within the first two years) and have fun driving with no issues due to mods...
Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 289 Posts

There's a difference between buying a modified car and modifying it yourself. OP appears to have bought a highly modified car and apparently has had issues since day one. I wouldn't buy a highly modified car, but don't think mods necessarily lead to more issues.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that mods in and of themselves aren't bad, as long as they are done properly and with the right consultation by experienced, knowledgable experts. The problem with buying a heavily modified car from a stranger is that you don't know whether everything was done properly.

Mine isn't tuned yet, but hopefully will be by the end of the day. Waiting on a file from Kevin. the data logger is pretty cool. No codes and ran around for a little bit with it turned on this morning. Need to learn how to read the data better but there were no obvious anomolies.

As for mods, this will be the most significant. This and the X73 suspension I put on last summer. Next up are new brakes and I will upgrade the clutch and flywheel when the time comes.

Quick Reply: RANT trading in the car.. has anyone done it?