Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RANT trading in the car.. has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Savetheclutch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT trading in the car.. has anyone done it?

So i am seriously tired of dealing with this car, I finally got it to run perfectly performance wise and other **** breaks..

the car now needs, a fuel pump (not sure), immobilizer brain, clutch slave cylinder and rear tires.

I am tired of dumping money into this thing so I am seriously considering just trading it in. I visited mercedes benz and they offered between 37K and 39K, I want to lease a c300 and just be done with cars all together.

would you trade it in? I am taking a hit on the car obviously but at this point I think sanity is worth more than the money I am losing lol

I am also hoping this thing catches fire and burns to the ground as I would get more money from insurance lol

these are the mods and recent stuff done to the car
Engine:
-GT2860rs
-Protomotive tune (from Markski)
-630 cc Siemens injectors
-Innovative pro design Intake plenum w/ 75mm throttle body
-SpeedTech 75mm Y Pipe (not installed)
-FVD intakes piping
-custom waste gates
-GT2 fuel pump
-Custom Billet Diverter Valves

Maintenance in the last 3K miles:
-new sparkplugs and coil packs
-New alternator
-mobile 1 5w-40
-Checked car for boost leaks and tightened all the lines.
-New Battery
-Alignment/corner weight/balanced by stable energies.

Exhaust:
-FVD Straight pipes
-Ceramic Coated/Ported/Polished Headers

Suspension & Wheels and drive train:
-RWD conversion (can be reversed)
-GT2 clutch
-JIC Cross 15 way adjustable Coilover Suspension
-HRE 542R Wheels (19x8.5F & 19x11R) Gloss black centers/flat black lips
-Yellow pad (race) brakes
-Powder coated yellow calipers

exterior:
-Mashaw front bumper with OEM gt2 front lip
-Mashaw add on spoiler
-deleted rear wiper
-tinted tail and headlights
-OEM roof rack with back carrier and thule wind deflector
-Silver Porsche Hood Crest

interior:
-B&M SSK
-Custom sound system (10” JL subs, alpine head unit,)
-V1 radar
-Suede wrapped steering wheel
Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Whether or not you *should* is a personal decision, but thats a great trade deal IMO. Depending on where you live you could get a sales tax savings on the new car as well, so factor that in if it applies.

Getting 37-39k for a modded car that needs work is *very good*.

Selling privately may get you more, but will be an epic ball buster. The car is modded and needs current work. Selling a modded car, from personal experience, is always a lot harder. Also, you would almost certainly need to sort it all out before selling.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Savetheclutch
Instructor

yeah, though the current problems have nothing to do with the mods. The car is actually running pretty strong. what it needs at this point is pretty much wear and tear items you could say.

I would not mind fixing the problems if I had a buyer but for trade in well screw it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As heavily moded as that car is, it would be hard to say that the mods have nothing to do with the problems.

That said, for the right person who likes tinkering and working on cars, it may be a great deal.

If you are tired of messing with it and can get 37K on a trade-in, then you should probably take it. You obviously aren't enjoying your tt. Life's too short to be frustrated over a car.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by andresito360
So i am seriously tired of dealing with this car, I finally got it to run perfectly performance wise and other **** breaks..
the car now needs, a fuel pump (not sure), immobilizer brain, clutch slave cylinder and rear tires.
I am tired of dumping money into this thing
The car is actually running pretty strong. what it needs at this point is pretty much wear and tear items you could say.
The money you "dumped" into the car for mods has nothing to do with maintenance. Not a cheap car to maintain. The right tires aren't cheap either.

With your upgrades I would be surprised if your clutch lasted much longer.

Mods don't add a whole lot of value and make it hard to sell the car IMO.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 PM
RxPorsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW you have a lot of money in that car. If you decide to sell it put it back to stock and sell all the performance parts. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

So i am seriously tired of dealing with this
Did you pay to have all those mods done, or did you buy the car that way?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Savetheclutch
Instructor

the car already had a lot of them and I did some more. The car was built by a reputable shop in LA and the previous owner was a well know guy around the forums, I am a car lover at heart but I always have bad luck with cars
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm with others: That trade in offer sounds pretty darn good, especially given the mods and the things that need attention.

Couple of things: A good (dare I say almost too good to be true?) trade in offer can quickly go away when the car is rolled into the shop and the techs start to go over the car. I've seen Porsche techs inspect a candidate trade in car (sometimes a Porsche but sometimes a BMW, M-B, or something similar) and they spot everything. The M-B techs are I expect as good and as thorough.

Also, be careful that the M-B dealer isn't padding the price of the car you want to buy. A dealer will soon know if someone is fixated on his current car's trade in value and work the deal to make that trade in value good, but there's no free lunch.

Still, if you get rid of a car you no longer want, no longer love, and get a good replacement that counts for something.

Sincerely,

Macster
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Savetheclutch
Instructor

well the things that need attention i can do for under 1k for parts and the labor i can do everything at my friends shop with his help. it is more about having peace of mind at this point. i have an appointment on saturday to appraise it and i will go from there
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Soooo I had a modded 996TT and we have a Benz C300... Figure I'll add my .02. The Benz actually has me thinking about something in the Benz product line for my daily driver... Also looking at Porsches, but I can't imagine how good the upper line of MB products are given how good this C300 my wife drives is... The thing is a very capable daily driver and the quietest car I've ever driven when in "cruise" mode...
Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Not sure if I misread your post, but trading in a car on a lease is not a good idea. You don't own the car, the bank does (for all the right reasons and why you lease a car in the first place). If you total the car, your money goes up in smoke. At least it does here in Texas. I would assume that is true for other states as well.

Now trading it in on a purchase might make sense for you if they are giving you a fair shake on the trade (which it seems they are doing).
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Savetheclutch
Instructor

yeah you are right plus i dont know if i can stick to a car for 3 years lol i am going to look at their used lot. maybe a small suv
Old 04-21-2012, 01:52 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What year and how many miles are on your turbo? Where are you located? I may be interested...
Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 PM
naptownmike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I traded my 02 for a 2012 c350 last year for the same reasons your describing. With the tax break I got 35 and was quite happy with that. The car had to many issues to sell privately. I miss the turbo but not the thousands I was spending per year. The c350 is not so bad either.
mike

Quick Reply: RANT trading in the car.. has anyone done it?