Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If they would have let me design my 996 TT "S"...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

When it comes to having a dipstick,I subscribe that I would like to have one,but not because it's more precise,but because I can check how the oil is looking like after a number of miles. Ideally would be to have both like I have on my E55 AMG.
Any other way to check how the oil is looking like on a 996TT without starting to unscrew things...like oil filter housing etc?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I could go with a manual in addition to an electronic hood and trunk release.

Give me a throttle cable any day, don't like the electronic accelerator.

Sports seats should be standard in a car like this.

A GT car with a miniature fuel tank? We need a bigger one.

It would be nice if you could disconnect the AWD at the front hubs. I've had trucks like this. I like the C2 nimbleness much better than the AWD. The AWD was no better in snow than my C2 as not enough torque was going to the front.

Dip sticks don't fail or lie. Often when I'm servicing my car it's cold and I'd like to check fluids without bringing the car to op temp.

Best yet, a small battery isolated from the main one that will keep all the systems happy when the car is not running. This would negate the need and nuisance of battery tenders.

GT2, GT3 type clutch release, simple effective, fail safe.

Adjustable rear sway bar, an extra hole or two drilled would be nice.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
...because I can check how the oil is looking like after a number of miles.
Have you had a problem with a car in the past where you found out about the problem through a visual assessment of a VERY small sample of oil off of that car's dipstick?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick49
Give me a throttle cable any day, don't like the electronic accelerator.

Often when I'm servicing my car it's cold and I'd like to check fluids without bringing the car to op temp.
I'd suggest that it's the programming of the e-gas that you don't like. An e-gas system can be programmed to be as good (or better) than a mechanical linkage.

As for checking the oil when the engine isn't warmed up, just check it when it is warmed up...right before you shut it down after a drive. If you don't see a pool of oil on the garage floor the next time you start your car, I will bet you that the oil is still at the same level as it was the last time you shut the engine down.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dock
Have you had a problem with a car in the past where you found out about the problem through a visual assessment of a VERY small sample of oil off of that car's dipstick?
No,but I had cars in the past,not a 996TT,where I had changed the oil and after aprox 1K miles,that oil was looking very dirty...black. Maybe it was inferior quality oil or something was wrong....I don't know...but I have friends who had the same thing happening with their cars.
I mean it's not a big deal,it doesn't bother me too much that these cars don't have a dipstick,I just like to see the oil every once in a while...maybe I'm obsessed...
But then again,what about people that send oil samples to Blackstone after almost every oil change?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I had cars in the past,not a 996TT,where I had changed the oil and after aprox 1K miles,that oil was looking very dirty...black.
All oil turns dark brown or black after a few hundred miles of use.

But then again,what about people that send oil samples to Blackstone after almost every oil change?
People do this because they can't visually assess the various metal particulate counts within the oil.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

All oil turns dark brown or black after a few hundred miles of use.

People do this because they can't visually assess the various metal particulate counts within the oil.
With all due respect Dock,I do have some knowledge about cars and I know the difference between the color of oil after a few hundred miles of use and dirty,black,nasty oil. You should see how my Mobil 1 0W-40 is looking in my E55 after 6000 miles...it's almost like I just poured it out of the bottle. I change it anyway,but I could easily go another 6 K with it.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No,but I had cars in the past,not a 996TT,where I had changed the oil and after aprox 1K miles,that oil was looking very dirty...black.
OK; what visual quality about the oil besides "black" made it "very dirty looking"?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Dip sticks don't fail or lie. Often when I'm servicing my car it's cold and I'd like to check fluids without bringing the car to op temp.
Right on Nick49; it would be nice to be able to check the oil cold before setting out. Sure, woulda, coulda, shoulda, checked it hot, but that doesn't always happen.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

OK; what visual quality about the oil besides "black" made it "very dirty looking"?
You take a drop of oil and rub it between your fingers. You will notice the difference. The good oil will leave a nice film when you slowly lift one of the fingers. That means it still does it's job,which is protecting and lubricating engine's internals.
You're also able to look for signs of foaming,which can happen if there's something wrong and antifreeze gets into oil.
You can also smell it to check if it has an intense odor of gas,which is not a good sign either.

That's it....I'm oficially obsessed!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I always seem to remember to turn the engine off before I leave my car parked.

Additionally, I normally need something to do during the 1-2 minute cool down prior to shutting down the engine. Answer? Check the oil quantity.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You take a drop of oil and rub it between your fingers. You will notice the difference. The good oil will leave a nice film when you slowly lift one of the fingers. That means it still does it's job,which is protecting and lubricating engine's internals.
So you're saying you can feel the proper viscosity level with your fingers?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

So you're saying you can feel the proper viscosity level with your fingers?
I don't know if I can feel ' the proper viscosity level ' ,but I can pretty much tell if that oil still has some life in it or not.
I also added(edited) a few more comments about oil in my previous post.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You're also able to look for signs of foaming,which can happen if there's something wrong and antifreeze gets into oil.
You can also smell it to check if it has an intense odor of gas,which is not a good sign either.
You've had experience with these indicators showing up when you feel/smell/look at the oil on a dipstick? If you have experienced some or all of these indicators, there weren't any other indicators besides what was evidenced in the oil?

Have you heard of or had experience with a 996 Turbo having any of the engine problems that led to the oil indicators you mentioned?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

You've had experience with these indicators showing up when you feel/smell/look at the oil on a dipstick? If you have experienced some or all of these indicators, there weren't any other indicators besides what was evidenced in the oil?

Have you heard of or had experience with a 996 Turbo having any of the engine problems that led to the oil indicators you mentioned?
Haha...you're being persistent with this...I like it!
Ok,let's start with your second question : I've never had any of these problems with my 996 TT and I've never heard others either,but that doesn't mean it can't happen...
Regarding your second question,it's simple : the oil in the car is like the blood in your veins. It can tell you a lot of things about your system. What happens when you go for your annual checkup? First they'll do blood tests...
Why do people send their oil samples to Blackstone...like you very well stated...for analysis...
In my book,the oil in a car can tell me a lot of things that I might discover later the hard way...that's regarding your statement about other indicators besides engine oil.

Quick Reply: If they would have let me design my 996 TT "S"...