Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If they would have let me design my 996 TT "S"...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What happens when you go for your annual checkup? First they'll do blood tests...
Right...annually checked, and not checked everytime you go for a walk, or even on a monthly basis. Why? Because there are generally other indicators present besides what shows up in the blood work, just as there are other indicators that show up in the way the engine is running or in other fluid levels, or in fluids on the ground, etc.

Oil samples are evaluated (Blackstone) because just like blood, the normal things that need checking can't be checked with your eyes or your fingers.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That reminds me. I have to go in Friday to have my cholesterol checked.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
That reminds me. I have to go in Friday to have my cholesterol checked.
Just ***** your finger and rub the the blood around in the palm of your hand.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess the dipstick gives me tactile confirmation of the oil level. Plus,it has the added benefit of getting you out of the car and in the engine bay.

The HUD system on the BMW was primarily useful in keeping your eyes outside the car, it projected the information so that it appeared to hover on the hood about 3/4 the way down. I found i used it the most on the freeway traveling at high rates of speed.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
The HUD system on the BMW was primarily useful in keeping your eyes outside the car, it projected the information so that it appeared to hover on the hood about 3/4 the way down. I found i used it the most on the freeway traveling at high rates of speed.
real drivers know how fast they are going by the sound of the engine and the gear they are in.

LOL Dock.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Plus,it has the added benefit of getting you out of the car and in the engine bay.
What do you think you'll find unusual in the engine bay? And wouldn't just the pleasure of looking at the stuff in the engine bay be reason enough to look in there pretty often? I spend time cleaning the engine bay every time I wash my Turbo, so I never feel the need to look in there more often than that.

The HUD system on the BMW was primarily useful in keeping your eyes outside the car, it projected the information so that it appeared to hover on the hood about 3/4 the way down.
Oh I've had LOTS of experience with HUDs, just not so much in cars.

There is a reason why Porsche places the tach, and not the speedometer, in the center of the instrument cluster.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Blackstone oil sample tests are interesting. People get them done, look at the results and what? Tear the engine down because Fe levels are high? I expect most would say "oh dear" and wait for failure - so what was the point?

Or am I missing something? (Admittedly the engineer in me would like to get the tests done anyway!)

Cheers Ben
Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben_C
Those Blackstone oil sample tests are interesting. People get them done, look at the results and what? Tear the engine down because Fe levels are high?
Good question. I suspect many (I wouldn't be part of that group) would at a minimum obsess over the high Fe levels, and some (again, not me) just might go from changing their oil ever 3k miles to every 1.5k miles.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I became aware of the oil analysis program in the late 80's as part of a engine TBO Guarantee for my Telydine Continental TSIO 550 engine. The basics of ail analysis is establishing a trend with samples of oil taken at regular intervals, and in the same manner. Say, when the engine is warm, every 1000 miles. The analysis of the oil then indicates what is wearing, and at what pace, and if there is something to worry about. Thus, an oil sample that showed a gradual increase in a particular metal, like Aluminum, would indicate premature ring wear. Other materials, such as FE, Chromium, and steel all indicate different components. Again, it is not so much the single sample as it is the trend of the samples.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I became aware of the oil analysis program in the late 80's as part of a engine TBO Guarantee for my Telydine Continental TSIO 550 engine.
As you are well aware, the consequences of an engine failure in an airplane that is airborne is way different than the consequences of an engine failure in a Turbo sitting at a stop light.

I fully endorse an oil analysis program for aircraft. On cars, not so sold on the effort.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Just ***** your finger and rub the the blood around in the palm of your hand.
I know I'm a little late, but just what the Dock ordered. Too funny.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I became aware of the oil analysis program in the late 80's as part of a engine TBO Guarantee for my Telydine Continental TSIO 550 engine. The basics of ail analysis is establishing a trend with samples of oil taken at regular intervals, and in the same manner. Say, when the engine is warm, every 1000 miles. The analysis of the oil then indicates what is wearing, and at what pace, and if there is something to worry about. Thus, an oil sample that showed a gradual increase in a particular metal, like Aluminum, would indicate premature ring wear. Other materials, such as FE, Chromium, and steel all indicate different components. Again, it is not so much the single sample as it is the trend of the samples.
I have no doubt the analysis can give you some great info but unless you're going to do something different when you get it...
Haul trucks - big $$$ saved by predicting and preventing failure. Airplanes - same plus less risk of falling out of the sky. Your car - probably going to wait till failure anyway.
Cheers, Ben

Quick Reply: If they would have let me design my 996 TT "S"...