Price Check - '01 996TT $48K

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Price Check - '01 996TT $48K

Hi All,

I currently have an '07 Audi RS4 and have been going back and forth debating as to whether I should sell it and jump into a 996TT. I love the RS4, but I have always wanted a Porsche. I would need to sell off the Audi in order to get into this Porsche.

The opportunity is an '01 996TT for $48K. It has 37K miles on the clock, fully documented, all service records, all original paint, PPI'd by previous owner approx. 2 mos. ago. No leaks, 2nd gear pop out or issues what so ever.

Curious to know what everyone thinks of this deal?

Last edited by 9LVN_TT; 03-25-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_RS4
Hi All,

I currently have an '07 Audi RS4 and have been going back and forth debating as to whether I should sell it and jump into a 996TT. I love the RS4, but I have always wanted a Porsche. I would need to sell off the Audi in order to get into this Porsche.

The opportunity is an '01 996TT for $48K. It has 37K miles on the clock, fully documented, all service records, all original paint, PPI'd by previous owner approx. 2 mos. ago. No leaks, 2nd gear pop out or issues what so ever.

Curious to know what everyone thinks of this deal?
One way to get a handle of some kind on what a car's worth is to visit www.kbb.com or www.nada.com or other similar sites, plug in the car's details and see what wholesale/trade-in, private sale, retail sale numbers pop up.

Generally the car's worth somewhere between its trade in value -- what a dealer would allow towards the purchase of another new (or used) car, though depending upon the new/used car being purchased the dealer can sweeten the trade-in allowance) and its asking price.

If the car is a good car, and it reads like it is, then it is a matter of deciding how much the car is worth to you and making a serious attempt at buying it.

Be sure you give the car a thorough test ride/drive: 15 mile test ride/15 mile test drive. This gives the DME and other things -- like the transmission -- a good chance to act up if they're going to act up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like a nice car but maybe a little high I just passed on an '01 with 46k miles at $39k. PPI found the need for new clutch, rear brakes and tires. Car was cosmetically very clean but had NE corrosion. Car is in SoCal if you are interested shoot me a pm.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellence mag has it at $28800 for the low and $38600 for the high. $48k sounds a little high
Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Thx for the feedback folks.

I should have mentioned that it does have JIC coilovers, and it was imported from the U.S. to Canada (where I am located). So the seller is factoring in the cost to bring it in to Canada as well.

I found it a tad high when comparing, however it does seem to be in immculate condition.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Prices in Canada are always a bit higher.

You will have a hard time finding a sub 40k$ 996tt in Canada unless the car has crazy mileage or has a "troubled" past...

Bought a '03 X50,with 25k miles (40,000km) for 55k$ 4 months ago. The few under 50k$ cars I found were not good cars.

When I looked at some of the prices in the US, I thought about going there to pick one up. But when you add the import duties, shipping and/or travelling and required modifications and inspections, the price I paid made lots of sense (to me).
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

In all my shopping I would pay the Excellence guys to find me a car at those prices.

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Chaos
In all my shopping I would pay the Excellence guys to find me a car at those prices.
Can you provide some contact info for the "Excellence" guys? I would be interested in reaching out to them to see what they could find for me.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
In defense of the Excellence numbers, when I supplied the purchase info on my 03 Turbo to Excellence the info showed up in the magazine almost verbatim.

The info I supplied was correct from the price I paid (not including taxes/license/registration), to the MY, model, color, options, and condition.

On the condition this was of course my opinion. There is no independent entity to verify the condition (or frankly any of the other numbers I supplied).

Based on my market research and following various purchases reported here and other places my take is there are more less than excellent condition cars changing hands than there are excellent cars changing hands. Of course this is understandable. But this also tends to bias the prices down and this works to make an exceptional car appear over priced.

Now this doesn't imply that when one finds an exceptional/excellent example he just pays the asking price. Each person has to develop a feel for the market price to a point he feels comfortable going forth and shopping with the intent of buying.

Also, of course, one can't or shouldn't rely upon just Excellence for prices. I always seek out as much as I can on prices, availability and so on to get to what I believe is a comfortable level of confidence in the market price and thus when I'm ready to buy I am ready to buy, but I have a good idea of what I will pay or what I won't pay.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.excellence-mag.com/
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 996 Porsche Turbo

996 TT ,Car for sale in Vehicles.
Bought in Canada, still here.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
996 TT ,Car for sale in Vehicles.
Bought in Canada, still here.
I noticed your ad. Would be all over it, however it is Tip...I want 6-speed manual.

Quick Reply: Price Check - '01 996TT $48K