Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Moton Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used Porsche Motorsport Upper Mounts on Front and rear. Droplinks were needed as well, also Porsche Motorsport.

Cost is comparable to going w/ PSS10's. I think the big difference is the springs used are better than the PSS10 coilovers and the Moton technology is great! Using the Porsche Motorsports parts also provides a high quality product and longevity.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Used Porsche Motorsport Upper Mounts on Front and rear. Droplinks were needed as well, also Porsche Motorsport.

Cost is comparable to going w/ PSS10's. I think the big difference is the springs used are better than the PSS10 coilovers and the Moton technology is great! Using the Porsche Motorsports parts also provides a high quality product and longevity.
One more question, did you get the single adjustable Street sports which only have the single adjuster at the top of the shock that simultaneously adjusts both rebound and compression or do you have the dual adjustable Street sports that allow you to independently adjust compression and rebound? If they were dual you would have a compression adjustment **** on near the base of the shock.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

They only have the adjustment at the top.

They are ride height adjustable as well, but no adjustment at base. I think that is an option on the street sports.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Great write up as well! Looks much better with the low!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John7898
what lb spings did you go with f & r?
Post # 15:

To the springs question:
5" 600# F
7" 800# R
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by powdrhound
That's interesting. It doesn't look like you are using any helper springs. Do the main springs stay seated when the car is raised and the suspension is at full extension? I didn't think they would without helpers.
Finally asked. First, the Motons have a droop limiter preventing them from extending too far (compared to many lesser shocks). The other is my springs are not so short as to come off when the shock is fully extended (because of #1).

Don't think I answered another question on here. yes, stock sway bars (for now).
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 PM
z99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same set up. Transformed car. Using 550fr and 750 r springs.
I found that a 2 notch variance works very well with Hoosiers. Car rotates very well. On cups I use 1 notch variance as the rear is much looser on cups under throttle. On a smooth track on Hoosiers I am on 7 fr and 9 rr. 2.5 front camber and 2.1 rear. I also have H&R sway bars. So experiment with different settings.

Congrats, you will love them on the track.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

All I can say is...OMG! The car is finally the car I always thought it should be. It handles like it always should have. Sits lower and looks great, no squatting under acceleration, no roll, it's just GREAT!!!

I was on the whole 'power mod' trip, driven by vendors, and only got around to suspension late...it really was transformative.

Enjoy

A
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Pics of front motons, in case some of you wanted to see:

Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Pics of front motons, in case some of you wanted to see:

Thank for the pictures. If you read post #36 above where I inquired about the spring coming off the perches when the suspension is extended, you can finally see here what I was talking about. When you look at the above pictures you just posted, you can see there is about a 1" gap between the bottom of the spring and the lower spring perch with the spring just hanging there. This is exactly what will happen in a hard turn at the track when the inside wheel becomes unweighed and the spring will just dangle there in the mount (I'm sure you have seen plenty of pictures of cars at the track where the inside front tire is lifted clear of the ground in a hard turn). The danger in your case is that with the G forces the spring may not seat properly as the weight of the car comes back down on it if the spring is a little crooked at the moment. That could be highly dangerous and this is exactly why coilovers come with helper springs to keep tension on the main spring and keep it firmly seated in the spring perches at full suspension extension. I would double check with the shop that installed this and if they tell you that it's OK for the spring to just hang there then I would seek a 2nd opinion.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Just curious if you ever asked your shop about your springs just dangling there unseated from the spring perches when your suspension is unloaded as in the pictures in the above post? I am interested to see what their take on it is and if they consider that normal. I ended up going with a similar set up on my car with 600/800 springs and my race shop insisted that helpers must be used to keep the mains under tension when the suspension is unloaded.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 287 Posts

Link to source for Motorsport upper mounts and droplinks?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Just curious if you ever asked your shop about your springs just dangling there unseated from the spring perches when your suspension is unloaded as in the pictures in the above post? I am interested to see what their take on it is and if they consider that normal. I ended up going with a similar set up on my car with 600/800 springs and my race shop insisted that helpers must be used to keep the mains under tension when the suspension is unloaded.
I agree, under full extension the spring should remain seated. Something is off here. It looks like the car's ride height is attained by using a spring that is too short
and diminishing shock travel to match. Not a good way, unless I'm missing something. Easy to comment without knowing the details.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the spring looks unseated because the car is on jacks and there is no wheel...LOL. Under load my bet is it is seated.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I think the spring looks unseated because the car is on jacks and there is no wheel...LOL. Under load my bet is it is seated.
Hello, well yeah, of course. Under load the springs will be seated but what I'm saying is that when you are cornering very hard (as you will at the track, for example) you will develop enough force to actually unweight the inside front wheel where the suspension will be totally extended as it is when up on jacks. Have you never seen a picture of a car cornering hard with the inside front wheel totally off the ground?? Take a peek at the picture below. It happens all the time especially when on slicks or when you bounce off the inside curbing at the track. My point is that the main spring should never be allowed to just dangle at any point during the available suspension travel. That's totally unsafe..... That is the exact reason that helper springs are used on coilover set ups with stiff main springs, to keep tension on the main springs when the suspension is unweighed. A helper spring will take up the 2" gap that you see under the spring in the OPs pictures. Ask any race shop.....
Attached Images  

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-12-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: New Moton Install