Sponsored by:

New Moton Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Removed the Bose subwoofer. Easier access to suspension adjustment. More dead weight removed. I'll find out soon if my ears can even tell the difference. Between my hearing problems and the louder exhaust...I doubt I'll notice.
I've been thinking about getting rid of my sub to make the rear adjusters easily accessible but I don't wanna have those silver mounting brackets sticking up and the holes in the carpet. Did you do anything to make it more presentable? I assume I could remove the sub brackets and replace the carpet with the one that comes on the cars without the sub box.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

That's interesting. It doesn't look like you are using any helper springs. Do the main springs stay seated when the car is raised and the suspension is at full extension? I didn't think they would without helpers.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you explain / post pics of how the remote canisters are routed and secured?
thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 PM
dacbap
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running stock sway bars?? From the pictures?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I've been thinking about getting rid of my sub to make the rear adjusters easily accessible but I don't wanna have those silver mounting brackets sticking up and the holes in the carpet. Did you do anything to make it more presentable? I assume I could remove the sub brackets and replace the carpet with the one that comes on the cars without the sub box.
They screw right out and the foam plugs fit right back in over the shocks. There is carpet under the sub., looks perfect.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

That's interesting. It doesn't look like you are using any helper springs. Do the main springs stay seated when the car is raised and the suspension is at full extension? I didn't think they would without helpers.
No helpers, can't see how they would move. The ride height adjustment fits under the spring.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dacbap
Are you running stock sway bars?? From the pictures?
Yes. Had to use drop links for c4s since I have a tiptronic.

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Can you explain / post pics of how the remote canisters are routed and secured?
There are no remote canisters. These are moton street sports. More affordable versions of the clubsports. Have same internals, ride height adjustable, and 15 position rebound adjustments.

If you are looking at coilovers, like the pss10's...I'd take a serious look at these bad boys.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool.
Where did you pick them up?

Thanks again,
Henry
Old 01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Motor werks racing. They take care of me and the car. He uses them on all his cars they build.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great. Thank you very much for the info. I've been debating between the X73's and something else, but didn't want to do reservoirs.

If you could post back up after you've got some mileage, that'd be really great. I DD my car for ~8 months of the year so it's got to be comfortable as well as relatively good for DE's.

Thanks!!
Henry
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

No helpers, can't see how they would move. The ride height adjustment fits under the spring.
The main springs generally only compress 2" or so with the weight of the car (the stiffer the spring the less compression). When the suspension is completely unloaded (which can happen when driven aggressively on the track) or when up on the lift, then the suspension will droop the full extension of the shock which will be more than 2" and as a result the spring will unseat at the top and just flop around until the suspension is loaded again. If you look at the 2nd picture in your first post where the rear suspension is at full extension, you can see that the upper spring seat appears to be unseated from the silver upper mount by about 1 ". That is why all coil overs generally come with helpers which keep the main spring seated with some tension at full extension of the suspension. All PSS9/10s, H&Rs, KW, and even all the Motons I have seen come with helpers. I am just wondering how your shop was able to get around this especially with your fairly stiff spring rates. The 600/800 lb/inch springs you have will only compress about 1.5" supporting the weight of the car. Hope I'm making sense. Anyone care to chime in? Your car looks great by the way....

Last edited by powdrhound; 01-23-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

They screw right out and the foam plugs fit right back in over the shocks. There is carpet under the sub., looks perfect.
How is the sound with the sub removed? Any chance you could snap a picture or two of the rear carpet area? Thx
Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

I am just wondering how your shop was able to get around this especially with your fairly stiff spring rates. The 600/800 lb/inch springs you have will only compress about 1.5" supporting the weight of the car. Hope I'm making sense. Anyone care to chime in? Your car looks great by the way....
Thanks! I love it...it literally has been raining for the last three days here so she has been stuck in the garage this whole time!!! TORTURE!

I will ask about the helper springs...from what I read - those are optional items and not required. I think some street cars use them but generally never found on a track car. I trust them 100% - so he clearly felt they weren't needed.

Regarding the subwoofer...honestly - I can NOT tell the difference. That is pretty sad...and that thing is pretty heavy. I do have to say though, it is well engineered. If I was an audiophile - I'd keep the "box" and swap the internals for a clean look. You can't tell it was ever in there as far as how it looks now. There is carpet under the bracket - so when the bracket is gone...just carpet. And there are "plugs" over the top of the shocks. So it looks nice and clean. (Pics to follow).
Old 01-30-2012, 03:58 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

So after the monsoons I finally got to drive it for a few days.

1.) You can notice the sub missing...there is definite lack of bass. However, I listen to a lot of talk radio - and I can't notice on that. But w/music there is bass missing that the other speakers can't make up for. Do "I" miss it. Nope.

2.) The shocks are the BOMB! I can't believe what I have been missing. The car is so much more solid and planted. I just can't tell you how much better it is now compared to before (which was pretty damn good).

3.) Totally acceptable for DD. I have them set on position 6 f/ 7 r. So if you like a GT car - you can go much softer. For me - it is great. The only time you notice the harshness is when you drive over a really rough patch on the road or any type of pothole.

Before Ride Height:

After Ride Height:

Carpet / Foam Tabs to cover shock heads (they come this way)

With the tabs out (and Subwoofer gone)

Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Looks great! What kind of upper mounts are you using in the front? I believe the Street sport Motons are designed to use the factory uppers? Is that the case? Also, can you PM me any part numbers and the cost of this setup if you don't mind as I am considering going this route.

Last edited by powdrhound; 02-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: New Moton Install