Sponsored by:

Maintenance cost guess-timations

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maintenance cost guess-timations

Considering a 996 Turbo @mid this year (2002-2004). Wanted to get a sanity check on maintenance costs as it would be a @9 year old car by the time I get into one.

I know it is hard to predict, but I am thinking of @$3k per year for routine and unexpected maintenance. I would do 75% of the wrenching myself, prolly put a bit under 10k miles on it per year. Would focus hard on an enthusiast owned vehicle with good history and PPI.

So this number would include:
Routine things like 1x-2x oil changes per year. New tires every other year. Brakes every @3 years. Filters, spark plugs, nagging little things every year.

Unexpected things that may be $500-$2,000 every other year or so.

Again, cannot anticipate or predict a large ticket bill...but does @$3k per year sound right for a car about this age? (If I don't spend it...then it becomes 'mod money' !)
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Considering a 996 Turbo @mid this year (2002-2004). Wanted to get a sanity check on maintenance costs as it would be a @9 year old car by the time I get into one.

I know it is hard to predict, but I am thinking of @$3k per year for routine and unexpected maintenance. I would do 75% of the wrenching myself, prolly put a bit under 10k miles on it per year. Would focus hard on an enthusiast owned vehicle with good history and PPI.

So this number would include:
Routine things like 1x-2x oil changes per year. New tires every other year. Brakes every @3 years. Filters, spark plugs, nagging little things every year.

Unexpected things that may be $500-$2,000 every other year or so.

Again, cannot anticipate or predict a large ticket bill...but does @$3k per year sound right for a car about this age? (If I don't spend it...then it becomes 'mod money' !)
On maintenance I have spent a total of $1600 in two years. That included the 30K service and 3 oil changes.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts

It's really not bad specially if you do small stuff yourself
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually budget $3k a year, and by the end of the year what I haven't spent goes for mods.

- And that list is long!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Good plan. Solid. Being able to deal with PITA stuff yourself- and not panic because the car is on jacks for a week or two- lets you really manage costs.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Thanks all for the info, that is reassuring.

I have had an Audi A4 turbo for 10 years and have become accustomed to a few hundred dollars of minor stuff every year with the possibility of a big job every now and then (however, have only had one). As a comparison, some of the jobs in my A4 have been (aside from brakes, tires, alignments, filters, lights, sparks, battery, and preventative stuff...):

Central Locking pump motor, Rear wheel bearings, Motor Mounts, Diverter valve, all Vacuum lines - replaced 2x, 2 timing belt changes (including all other belts, water pump, etc), coolant reservoir, tie rod ends, CV boot, Fuel pressure regulator, breather hose, MAF, secondary air pump - 2x, secondary air pump relay, cam adjuster unit, reaerview mirror fluid leak, had to retint windows due to peeling after 10 years, headliner was separating from backing - had to reupholster, interior door leather inserts are separating have to reupholster. <And all in all - I have had no big mechanical issues! Some people have had alot more, bigger ticket items>

...I typically keep my car well maintained which is key to longevity and not letting maintenance get out of hand (IMO).

Just wanted a sanity check on the 996 Turbos....they appear to be very solid vehicles - looking forward to getting into one soon!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

I am finding the age, not the mileage is starting to where out certain things that can be costly. If you have a budget and save it year to year (instead of spending it) then you will be OK.

(I just hit 80,000 miles)

My big ticket items:
Transmission Mount (not very $$)
New Radiator (replaced 1 of 3)
New Suspension (Rears were tired - getting them installed this week. Big $$$)
Power Steering pump may need fixin' (TBD $$$)
Diverter Valves (not very $$$)
Spoiler (If you repair or replace it can cost $$) (I went the cheap way and bought a fixed position kit for $100).

other items because it is so great to drive:
Race Tires & Race Wheels (To save my street tires).
Brakes & Fluid (more frequent due to track)
Oil (more frequent due to track)

Mod:
New Exhaust

Just saying w/a High Performance 10 year old car - rubber bits start to get tired. Some things just wear out. Every car is different and depends a lot on prior owners and their care of the car.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Hi Cannon1000 -
Road Atlanta in your signature picture? I was there with MVP this past November - lots of fun!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:40 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

I almost went to that ...but my brakes and suspension were not changed out yet.

How was it?

Looks like we have a bunch of new organizers at the track this year. 2012 will almost have an event every weekend it looks like.

NARRA, April
Hooked on Driving, Feb 18-19

I am going to try to attend as many as possible. If not driving - then watching, learning and taking pics.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

It was superb! Was my first track event, though I have done some autocross before. My car did not have the legs for the big track ('01 A4 turbo - chipped) - but it was a great learning experience. It was probbaly better for my first time that I did not have a powerful car - instead I focused on line and smoothness.

MVP did a fantastic job keeping everyone safe, the day started out rainy - then cleared later. First few sessions, an number of cars spun out (A 'Vette - no kidding! and a Lotus Elise that was trying to avoid - right in front of me!)

I got 6 - 20 minute track sessions, signed up for an instructor to ride shotgun for 3 of the sessions.

Pretty cheap for what you get. Their 2012 schedule is up already.

Here's a compilation video of my last session (quality is so-so...sound was not good, so I added a music track)...I'm at the back of the back with the slowpokes!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

BTW, There is a GREAT 996 Turbo X50 on sale here. In classifieds section. need to be a RL member.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Is it the white one? If so - I 'really' liked that one...unfortunately, I cannot pull the trigger yet...have to wait until bonus hits in March - doubt it will last that long.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Silver. Great price too! (under $40k)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

I'm not finding the car you are referring to??? (Either way...I am enduring a painful wait)
Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Need to be a member (not registered only) to see it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...5-500-obo.html

Quick Reply: Maintenance cost guess-timations