For Sale: Modded 2001 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For Sale: Modded 2001 996 Turbo

I've got the hankering to buy a GT3RS, so I am listing my turbo for sale. I'm kind of ambivalent about it, 'cause I really like this car, so if the car doesn't sell, I'll just keep it and run it another year. Lowballers need not apply. I drive it both on the street and for 4-5 DE events per year (PCA certified instructor), and it's well sorted for that.

It's set up a lot like Mike Kelly's car was, minus the GT2 bodywork, and it's priced accordingly. I created a web page for it here:
http://mechse.illinois.edu/research/dantzig/996TT
with a lot of photos and details of the mods.

In brief:
2001 996 Turbo, 6-speed, Orient Red, Savannah beige interior, ~68k miles
Price: $47,500, clear title
Located near Indianapolis

GT3 leather seats, DAS rollbar, 5pt harnesses

UMW Stage 2A, 964 RS clutch, LWFW, GT2 slave conversion, Milltek exhaust

PSS9 resprung and revalved for 450F/670R lb/in

GT3 6-piston front calipers, 350mm Girodiscs F/R

Many more mods and photos on the web site.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Good luck with your sale Jon. Hope you will stay with the TT community even if you are becoming an RS owner. You are a valuable member of this site and it is always a pleasure to read your post. I forgot, happy new-year monsieur "le professeur" !!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jpflip
Good luck with your sale Jon. Hope you will stay with the TT community even if you are becoming an RS owner. You are a valuable member of this site and it is always a pleasure to read your post. I forgot, happy new-year monsieur "le professeur" !!!!
Thanks for your kind words, J-P. Je te souhaite un très bon nouveau an !

I don't know, part of me hopes I don't get any offers. The GT3 RS is a great car, but also pretty expensive...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

TT market is very tough right now with a lot of cars out there and even more idiots low balling and being annoying. I'm holding onto mine for a while unless someone shows up with cash in hand.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM
irie1029
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow good luck Jon, Certainly is a great price for that car.... PS Happy New Year from Debbie and I (my french is not so good) and see you at Putnam!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by irie1029
Wow good luck Jon, Certainly is a great price for that car.... PS Happy New Year from Debbie and I (my french is not so good) and see you at Putnam!
Thanks! As Blockhed says, there are a lot on the market. I may end of keeping it. It's a fair price for the car, and I don't have to sell it.

They've moved the dates around for Putnam next year. Diasio raised the price fo renting the track, and some clubs dropped out. CIR is going back to end of April, but I am going to have to miss that one. I'll see you somewhere!

Happy new year to you both as well!

Jon
Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Jon, nice package for a great price. Best of luck to you with your sale. See you over in the 7GT3 forum soon
Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
Jon, nice package for a great price. Best of luck to you with your sale. See you over in the 7GT3 forum soon
Thanks Dell. Hope you're right! You and Mike inspired me to sell.

Jon
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jon! Didn't know you had those wheels that look great! I only see your car at the track! lol

You'll miss the boost! You can drive mine to get your fix! :-) GLWS!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Jon, whatever you do, stick to your price and your goals. This car is well sorted, meticulously maintained, and worth every dime.

The low ballers out there are not only misinformed, but misguided by the belief that the “deal” is worth the risk. Bottom line is that this is a well sorted Porsche 996TT with the power, suspensions, brakes, and safety equipment that most true enthusiasts would want to add. Most will complain that they “can’t swing it” to buy a car so well equipped, only to dig a massive hole to dig out of with their CC.
Good Luck Jon. As Dell’s car sold, and mine sold, yours will to!

Mike
Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

As Mike said, you are going to have to deal with some real tools throwing lowball offers at you. I had several including some here that post(ed) on the 6Turbo forum! But there are buyers that know the market and there are those that are delusional about the market. Sure, there are high 30's 6Turbos out there but they are not ANYWHERE near the condition of ones sold like mine and Mike's. In the end, the delusional guy will buy the unknown fire sale car at 10K less than the rest are selling for only to have to put 15K into the car once it falls to **** on him. The RIGHT buyer will spend a couple grand more to get a fine example.

FYI....my car sold in < 1 month (advertising only here and 6speed) at asking price minus the cost of a couple items the new owner didn't want. He got a fantastic car with a CPO warranty. As long as you aren't desperate, hurting for cash, or drunk when you field a low ball offer, you'll be able to sell for what it is worth if you price properly (as you are).

I told myself I would keep the car before I gave it away to a disrespecting lowballer.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike and Dell,

Thanks for the props, and the encouragement. I'd like to sell the car and get into a GT3RS. But if I can't sell it for a fair price, I'll just keep it and continue to drive it. I spent a lot of time and money to get the car set up for street and track use, and the right person will appreciate that.

If one were to start with a stock turbo, to upgrade the motor and suspension to where the car is a handling and power dream like mine is would cost at least $20k-25k. At least it did for me.

Time to sit back and wait. Happy new year to all!

Jon
Old 12-31-2011, 03:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Oh yea... I had a STACK of receipts nearly double your estimate, Jon. So I think you're being very generous in your low figure for the upgrades. The UMW turbos/software/FPR/misc stuff alone is a big chunk, and worth every penny.

You'll sell it, but it will certainly take someone who has a clue to know what they're buying!

Happy Newyear gang!
Mike

Quick Reply: For Sale: Modded 2001 996 Turbo