Sponsored by:

I hate my PSS9's

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:46 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I hate my PSS9's

Maybe hate is a bit strong, but I really am not in love with this set up. I bought the car with this setup, and figured I could get it where I like it. My 2002 Turbo was stock, and I liked that set up. My 993 TT had the ROW 030 and Bilstein HD's, and I loved that set up.

I am a street driver only (we'll call it aggressive street) and will occasionally do a DE, but none yet. I have the settings at 6 front and rear, and have tried lots of different settings. The car has been aligned and corner-weighted.

Even on 6 and 6, the car has a lot of vibrations, too much body roll, and seems unsettled. Here's what I"m thinking I could do next:

1) Go back to stock completely. I'm driving an '08 997TT this weekend, and it feels perfect to me in normal and sport mode.

2) Play with the PSS9's and buy some sway bar upgrades...still don't know how to get it settled yet.

3) Look for another different setup with matched parts? X73?

Thanks for any ideas,
Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
daytrip00
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought about getting them revalved and more tightly sprung.

I also maybe see if you could find somebody local with a setup you like and do that...
Old 10-22-2011, 05:13 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by daytrip00
Have you thought about getting them revalved and more tightly sprung.

I also maybe see if you could find somebody local with a setup you like and do that...
Guess I wouldn't know where to start...do PSS9's normally transmit a lot more vibrations into the cabin?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Scott, I have a customer that is looking for a used set of PSS9's..

However, the PSS9's use the stock rubber hats/perches. If they are trashed and pounded out you might want to replace them.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you prefer stock to pss9's something is wrong with your suspension. Check everything. Or you are a really weird driver. ;-).
Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have PSS9's on my car, and find them quite acceptable on both street and track.

If you are feeling too much body roll, that is a sway bar issue, not struts. This is the least expensive upgrade with a big improvement. Sway bars won't affect vibration - they only change cornering stiffness.

I had mine resprung and revalved this past winter, but drove them for several years in original form. I run mine on 7 for the street, 2-3 on the track depending on the track, same as I did when they were original.

PM if you want to discuss further.

Jon
Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 PM
daytrip00
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Guess I wouldn't know where to start...do PSS9's normally transmit a lot more vibrations into the cabin?
I would guess so. They're more tightly sprung than stock. If the firm/harshness of the ride is your problem, you might indeed be better returning to stock.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't have your cake and eat it at the same time. Comfort versus handling same thing.

Quick Reply: I hate my PSS9's