Sponsored by:

LWFW and A/C noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
watsonj0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LWFW and A/C noise

I did a search and haven't found anything about this except on comment that there car sounded like a diesel when the A/C runs with a LWFW in neutral.
After a drive and the engine is warm it is the worst of course, what surprises me is that having the A/C on makes such a difference to the LWFW rattle is this normal? when I push in the clutch the noise goes away 85% but not totally the rattle is louder with the A/C on and off with the clutch depressed. Is this normal?

Thanks for any input

Jon
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Once the engine and transmission are warmed up, my LWFW is very noisy, both at idle with the clutch released, and up to about 2000 RPM if I'm not accelerating hard. The noise is louder anytime the A/C compressor is engaged.

The LWFW is essentially a megaphone attached to the engine.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 AM
watsonj0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a louder exhaust, problem solved! :-)
Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine too. Same way. Noise goes away completely with the clutch depressed. I've gotten used to it. I love the quick revving...
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by watsonj0
I did a search and haven't found anything about this except on comment that there car sounded like a diesel when the A/C runs with a LWFW in neutral.
After a drive and the engine is warm it is the worst of course, what surprises me is that having the A/C on makes such a difference to the LWFW rattle is this normal? when I push in the clutch the noise goes away 85% but not totally the rattle is louder with the A/C on and off with the clutch depressed. Is this normal?

Thanks for any input

Jon
The stock flywheel also provides -- on purpose -- vibration dampening to keep the rattles down.

The LWFW does not provide this vibration dampening.

When the A/C compressor is on the compressor presents enough of a load that provides something like a vibration dampener effect, though it is not perfect and not nearly as good as that provided by the stock flywheel.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
When the A/C compressor is on the compressor presents enough of a load that provides something like a vibration dampener effect, though it is not perfect and not nearly as good as that provided by the stock flywheel.

Sincerely,

Macster.

The noise is louder when the A/C compressor is on.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
The noise is louder when the A/C compressor is on.
You are right. I misread his post. Also, I was reading a bit of my experience in the OP's post because I notice my car's engine is a bit quieter with the A/C on even though it is not loud to begin with but the A/C being on does tend to quiet the thing some.

In the OP's case, that he hears more noise, I wonder if the noise is a serpentine belt getting past its change by date or a tensioner getting weak and letting the belt slap about?

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: LWFW and A/C noise