Short shifter - pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short shifter - pros and cons

Short shifter on TT - like it or not?

I really like the tight feeling and short movement that short shifter provides. However, some careafullness when shifting seems to be required. For example, quick shifting from second to third gear when accelerating fast easily results missing gear. You just cant make a strong push forward and expect the gear to engage. There is a slight movement to right that needs to be done before pushing the 3rd gear in.

At first this seemed odd to me. Then I thought about Ferraris. They have a H -shaped metal plate where the stick goes through the "floor" of the car.

I have no experience of a TT without a short shifter mod. How does a short shifter work when compared to stock?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Which short shifter do you have in your Turbo?

You are correct about the 2-3 shift; trying to move the shifter in a straight line diagonally from 2nd to 3rd is asking for trouble.

I have the B&M shifter in my Turbo, and when I want to make a fast 2-3 shift my personal technique is to push the shifter with the palm of my hand, without actually gripping it (my fingers not wrapped around the shifter). This allows the shifter to "automatically" move to the right using the "spring" mechanism sitting in neutral that is designed to move the shifter directly under the 3rd gear gate. Once the shifter has been moved to the right, it's just a straight push forward into 3rd gear (it's a "push...push" process). With the B&M it is fast and accurate.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Search the forum.
The most popular and often discussed are the OEM 997 shifters...stock, GT3 and short shift.
There have been pictures of all of them, all are direct drop in upgrades to the 996.
I am sure Gert at Carnewal can set you up.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Search the forum. The most popular and often discussed are the OEM 997 shifters...stock, GT3 and short shift.
I may have misread his post, but it sounds like he already has a short shifter ("I really like the tight feeling and short movement that short shifter provides, However, some careafullness when shifting seems to be required."..."I have no experience of a TT without a short shifter mod").

I take it that he's asking if the same care required in the 2-3 shift using the short shifter is also required in the 2-3 shift using the OEM shifter.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dock has it correct, my car has had short shifter since I bought the car.

I dont know which one I have GT3, 997...the dealer said my car has a short shifter and the movement sure is way shorter and stiffer that my 996 carrera 2 had.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guybrush Wilkinson
...the dealer said my car has a short shifter and the movement sure is way shorter and stiffer that my 996 carrera 2 had.
Try letting the spring mechanism in neutral line the shifter up under 3rd. That is, you provide the forward movement of the shifter, and let the spring provide the movement to the right.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

I recently changed from the stock 996 Turbo shifter to the stock 997 turbo shifter (not the 997 turbo short shifter) and the throw is much less and not notchy at all - still not a true short shifter but I like it alot.

T2
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the B&M. I'm happy with it, but don't love it. It tends to be pretty notchy. That being said, it was the first upgrade I made to the car.
I bought the car used about a year ago with 57k. Maybe it was the mileage, but the stock shifter was terrible. Like runny oatmeal. 1st to 2nd took about a day and a half.
So regardless of which shifter you have installed, it's probably way better than stock.

Quick Reply: Short shifter - pros and cons