Sponsored by:

I Installed Drain Plug Magnets

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quadcammer:

I am not an engineer, and what you say may indeed be true, that the particles floating around are so small that they present no ill will to the engine. But, if using a drain plug magnet was of no consequence, then why did Porsche include them in their engines when they delivered their cars? And, if having them in your engine is desirable, then having the strongest magnet you can find is better still. Those who feel that it's not necessary to use one don't need to buy one. No one is twisting your arm.

For me? I think that it is cheap protection at $125 for the 4 plugs needed for the Turbo engine. I'm not going to rush to put another 5,000 miles on my car quickly, just so that I can get pictures of the magnets at the next oil change, but I am interested in seeing what the result is, and how the UOA changes. If it doesn't present a situation where it is of benefit to the engine . . . . . . . . well, it was at least a nice science experiment.

larry
Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

look larry, we are just bs'ing here. Everyone is free to do what they wish.

Which porsches had drain plug magnets in their engine sumps? trannies and diffs, sure.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Originally Posted by larry47us
- and will you admit that any Porsche engine is a racing engine? -
Nope... frankly, not even close.

That said, good luck with your mag plugs... hope they perform to your satisfaction and expectations.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 AM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
look larry, we are just bs'ing here. Everyone is free to do what they wish.

Which porsches had drain plug magnets in their engine sumps? trannies and diffs, sure.
Quad - I certainly know that. I enjoy the banter back and forth just as well as the next guy. There are lots of opinions on these boards. Some from people who have a lot of background where it counts, some with a lot of ideas, but no real background, and then there are grunts like me who take part in these things hoping for an education.

I was told by my indie that the oil tank and crankcase plugs on the Turbo were magnets. When I pulled the two plugs out of my car when I changed my oil, they wouldn't hold up a paperclip. So, either these really weren't magnetic, or over the past 10 years they lost all of their pucker.

larry
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I was told by my indie that the oil tank and crankcase plugs on the Turbo were magnets.
Porsche says none of the OEM oil drain plugs on the 996 Turbo are magnetic.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:37 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
Porsche says none of the OEM oil drain plugs on the 996 Turbo are magnetic.
Well . . . . . . thanks Dock, that kind of answers that question once and for all. BTW, I crawled under my car today to see how tightly the new drain plugs were attached, and whether there was any leakage at all. And no, there was no leakage, so even the turbo reservoirs, where the drain plug fits inside the drain hole fit properly with the magnetic plugs.

larry
Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Well . . . . . . thanks Dock, that kind of answers that question once and for all.
Just for clarification, it was PCNA that confirmed the OEM drain plugs are non-magnetic.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Centauro97
Track Day

I think some good points have been presented in this thread.

These engines do not have a lot of "shredding" steel-on-steel engine surfaces so iron particles should be minimal in the oil.

Adding magnets is apparently another of those "don't ask/don't tell" issues. I'm not planning on adding magnets but it doesn't mean it's wrong if someone does. Cripes I enjoy working on my car and doing little mindless and potentially worthless upgrades. That's the

My motorcycles have magnetic drain plugs AND oil filters. They also have wet clutches and transmissions sharing the oil so there's lots of opportunity for that steel-on-steel debris. They fuzz up nicely and I feel all warm knowing they're doing good work.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My set arrived Wednesday, that was fast. Now I'll just have to wait until it's time for my next oil change.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Centauro97
Cripes I enjoy working on my car and doing little mindless and potentially worthless upgrades.
Well, time will tell. If I get some "fuzz" on the drain plugs, then I will feel that I've accomplished something. If the plugs come out clean . . . . . . . . . . then it was just a fun science experiment.

larry
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To say nothing of the practical joke opportunity this presents - hanging all sorts of metal bits and pieces on the outside of the drain plugs....Larry, I'm in the western 'burbs, I'll be looking for that bright red TT !!

Just kidding, you know!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
larry47us
Pro

Dave:

That would be a kick. I am sure that my indie would just love it if I drove in next time with all kinds of trash attached to my drain plugs!!! Provides an opportunity for a bit of levity.

You know, there are a bunch of Rennlisters in the north shore, and out west. It would be nice to get together for a cars and coffee sometime in the future. It's easier to even drive out to Schaumburg, rather than heading out to Oswego, where there is an active bunch of Pcar nuts. Your thoughts?

larry
Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm up for that! I'm crazy busy through August, but Sept sometime would work for me.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, mine got here with the yellow plastic thread ruler gadget (now in my tool box in the micrometer drawer).

Nice units. On my plugs and coilpacks for the next "big" one in a few months.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

Finally received my plugs today. Many thanks to you Larry and Dell for the research and the information you've provided. You were right, Richard is a gentleman and take a good care of his customers!

Quick Reply: I Installed Drain Plug Magnets