Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. Just got 2.

20x1.5, the subaru ones.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks Larry for all these informations. Just order mine yesterday and was surprised, only $4.50 for shipping in Canada! Be installed on my next oil change with another type of oil, Mobil 1 TDT . I have to give it a try since my "growling on start" came back suddenly almost 1000 kms after starting using Castrol Syntec 5W40.... Really frustrating
Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Larry, I'll be doing my tranny fluid in the next couple months if you can wait I'd be happy to measure them
Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know if the 2002 turbo uses the same 20mm x 1.5mm plugs?

I've been looking for magnetic drain plugs. I bought a set recently for the turbo sumps, from a different company, but they didn't make anything for the crankcase or oil tank.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I can confirm that those are the sizes for my 2003.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dell, I just ordered a set.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:41 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, it is the presence of iron in the UOA that is a marker for wear of iron parts- THAT is the concern, the wear itself not the iron in the oil.

So pulling the sub-microscopic iron particles out of suspension may make you feel better with the next UOA, but it does not 'fix' anything.

One might argue, in fact, that if you are using UOAs as a sentinel for issues in the engine, that adding a part that alters the 'fingerprint', can confuse your observation.

I do not know enough about the impact of a few PPMs of iron in the oil on the 'wear' this causes to other parts. The vendor seems to say this circulating iron 'wears the engine down'... not sure I buy that.

Curious to see what happens with your next UOA

A
Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adam_
IMO, it is the presence of iron in the UOA that is a marker for wear of iron parts- THAT is the concern, the wear itself not the iron in the oil.

So pulling the sub-microscopic iron particles out of suspension may make you feel better with the next UOA, but it does not 'fix' anything.

One might argue, in fact, that if you are using UOAs as a sentinel for issues in the engine, that adding a part that alters the 'fingerprint', can confuse your observation.

I do not know enough about the impact of a few PPMs of iron in the oil on the 'wear' this causes to other parts. The vendor seems to say this circulating iron 'wears the engine down'... not sure I buy that.

Curious to see what happens with your next UOA

A
Agree, if you are doing UOA's, this will take that data and make it invalid. But, I don't want metal in my engine...whatsoever - hence the filter too if you think about it....this is a crutch, sort of an extra filter.

I am "for" magnetic plug, to be clear.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-04-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Extra filters in different places around the engine. Keeping loose metal out of the engine oil stream is a nobrainer to me.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam and Jeff.

I understand your point. But I'll counter with this. If you see that iron, or additional wear metals are "suddenly" appearing in your UOA, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to change the oil more frequently? Are you going to use a different type of oil? It is interesting that I spoke to Alex Miller at Blackstone about this very matter. They have a test engine that they are going to install magnetic drain plugs on and run some tests to determine if the drain plug magnet reduces wear metals.

Originally Posted by adam_
The vendor seems to say this circulating iron 'wears the engine down'... not sure I buy that.
If you have metal fragments in your oil, even if they are nearly microscopic and don't get caught by the oil filter, won't the close tolerances in a racing engine - and will you admit that any Porsche engine is a racing engine? - run afoul of particles floating in the oil? If you agree that any "foreign" particles floating throughout the engine can create incidental damage in the engine, then why wouldn't you use something to take out those particles?

It would be kind of like running your engine without an oil filter. The particles the oil filter catches are small indeed, but don't you want something to take them out? If there was another "filter" like the Drain Plug Magnet, that removed fragments, how can that be bad?

larry
Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by larry47us
That leads me to the next issue, which is that I should probably get one for my tranny when I get the fluid changed next. That would be for my 30K check-up, which is coming soon. Does anyone know what the proper size is for the tranny on a 996TT?
Larry, you may not need one. Check to see if it is there from Porsche already.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Larry, you may not need one. Check to see if it is there from Porsche already.
Bill,

You might be right. But I was told that the drain plug on the oil tank and crankcase were magnets as well. Whether that was incorrect information, or whether the magnet had lost its draw after 10 years of hot oil I don't know. But spending $30 on another plug that I KNOW has the quality of the magnet that I need isn't so great an investment.

The prob is that I need to find out the size before I have the tranny fluid changed. Otherwise, it's another 30,000 miles, or the cost of another change just to put a drain plug magnet in place. From my experience, the local Porsche dealers don't have spare plugs in stock, in case someone needed one. So, I can't drive up to the parts department and "borrow" one just to measure it.

larry
Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 AM
vntperformance
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

subscribed.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us

If you have metal fragments in your oil, even if they are nearly microscopic and don't get caught by the oil filter, won't the close tolerances in a racing engine - and will you admit that any Porsche engine is a racing engine? - run afoul of particles floating in the oil? If you agree that any "foreign" particles floating throughout the engine can create incidental damage in the engine, then why wouldn't you use something to take out those particles?

It would be kind of like running your engine without an oil filter. The particles the oil filter catches are small indeed, but don't you want something to take them out? If there was another "filter" like the Drain Plug Magnet, that removed fragments, how can that be bad?

larry
Is it bad? probably not. But the average oil filter media filters to about 20 microns. Thats .0008" Typical bearing clearance is about .002" to .003". Therefore, there should really be no need for these magnets.

Making the analogy that its like running without a filter is silly, because filters are designed to remove particles that are big enough to obstruct the typical clearances in the motor. If you could have a 200 micron metal shaving floating around in the oil, you'd have FOD quickly. At 20 microns, its almost not worth discussing.

For reference, a grain of sand is about 100 microns, a grain of table salt about 40.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many Continental aircraft engines don't have a filter; instead they have a screen which catches the big metal pieces, but lets the small particles circulate. My last a/c engine ran without a filter for 1500+ hours with no apparent ill effect; it eventually was replaced because of a cracked crankcase. These engines operate at 70%+power outputs most of their lives and spend a fair amount of time at 100% rated power and seem to live a good long time if operated frequently.

It would seem to me that we obsess a tad too much about things like microscopic metal pieces when what we probably should do is just use our cars more often - ala T2 with 300,000+ miles - so that corrosion doesn't build up in the crankcase and cause problems far more serious than iron particles.

Quick Reply: I Installed Drain Plug Magnets