Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy sight unseen....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:31 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy sight unseen....

Went this weekend to see two cars,one with orangish interior that i wasn't sure if i would like it or not ? Low and behold when i pulled in,there's another guy signing the papers on the car... While he was signing the papers,i decided to check out the interior as i had lots of reservations about it.I sat in the car and didn't like the interior,so no big deal.

Well,i than drove to this big Exotic OH dealership with all the intention of purchasing this low mileage 996 TT (had $5000 cash as a deposit). During our email correspond,i was made sure there wasn't any paint work done to the car which was confirmed via paint meter less the bumpers which they said were plastic.

So how would you feel,when after driving 400 miles to this BIG EXOTIC DEALERSHIP and while you are still 200 feet away from the car,you see the front bumper is way darker than the rest of the car. I was pissed,mad and furious that how could one miss represent that to the customer let alone if the customer was 400 miles away...Well with out talking to those jerks,i made a U turn and drove back home mad yet relieved.

Lesson learnt is:

a)- Car dealers are one of the lowest of the lowest life people in the world,period.
b)- Never ever trust any car dealer whether they sell Ferraris/Lambo/Bentley's or camry's blah blah... Bottome line is they are still the low life,car sales men nothing else
c)- Never ever buy a car sight unseen.
d)-Always have some one look at the car before you make the trip. I drove 'coz i was 100% sure i was buying the car from this reputable exotic dealership
e)- Did i mention to never trust any car dealer...
f)- Have all your correspon via email so that you can these scum bags responsible for their lies/screw ups...

Later
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

PM me and I'll give you the name of my sales guy at Hennessy Porsche here in Atlanta. You can trust him and you can trust Hennessy Porsche. This is not to say you should buy a car from them without first looking at it, it is to say they aren't going to lie to you.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:55 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

BTDT, most dealers will not disclose paint/body work. You have to see it for yourself...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
So how would you feel,when after driving 400 miles to this BIG EXOTIC DEALERSHIP and while you are still 200 feet away from the car,you see the front bumper is way darker than the rest of the car. I was pissed,mad and furious that how could one miss represent that to the customer let alone if the customer was 400 miles away...Well with out talking to those jerks,i made a U turn and drove back home mad yet relieved.
Are you sure the Turbo you were looking at from 200 feet was the car you went to see?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI , pretty much all cars with eurethane bumpers dont quite match. Go look at a brand new car, and you will see the same thing, some cars are worse than others, such as silver, gunmetal, etc. My Audi S4 was seal grey, and i know for a fact the covers had never been repainted before, and they were off in color. Any car with a fair amount of miles is going to have rock chips and the like, so even if it had a repaint on the bumper covers, its better than having all of those rock chips...

I would have taken this chance to bargain on the car, to try to get a better deal. If a car is PERFECT, you have no basis to make a lower offer than what they are asking.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Are you sure the Turbo you were looking at from 200 feet was the car you went to see?
Yes i did look at the car up close and yes it was the same car. Can you imagine the excitement of finally getting what you've longed for so loooong and you haven't made it to the car quite yet and it was already gone

Originally Posted by scottrx7tt
FYI , pretty much all cars with eurethane bumpers dont quite match. Go look at a brand new car, and you will see the same thing, some cars are worse than others, such as silver, gunmetal, etc.
Don't forget i had just looked at 2 other 996 TT's in the same color and surprisingly the bumpers on both of them were just fine. I will try to upload the picture in a minute and see what you think...

I am telling you,you just can not trust these LLP (low life people),period
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am telling you,you just can not trust these LLP (low life people),period
Not all dealers or sales guys are low life.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

What city in Ohio?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes i did look at the car up close and yes it was the same car.
OK. It just read like you saw the car from 200 feet, then made a u-turn from there and left.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...i than drove to this big Exotic OH dealership
Is this a new car dealership, or does this place sell only pre-owned cars?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

I am not going to name this pretty established pre -owned dealership that sells all kinds of exotics and seem to do fairly well.

I am still looking for a seal grey or a silver '02-05 TT/S 6-speed with under 30K miles. I have the money and the ticket ready to get this bugger...
Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not going to name this pretty established pre -owned dealership that sells all kinds of exotics and seem to do fairly well.

I am still looking for a seal grey or a silver '02-05 TT/S 6-speed with under 30K miles. I have the money and the ticket ready to get this bugger...
i hope you find what you are looking for soon! I am sure the perfect car for you is out there somewhere. Atleast you know what you want, and you are willing to wait until you find it.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Guys,i want to clarify that the intent of my post is to not talk bad about this particular dealership but the point is,if the dealership of this caliber can do this than who do you trust ?
So would you really need a paint meter to measure this this front bumper
I wanted to surprise the dealer by just showing up so that's why they didn't even know i was there,but i was
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

As C2 knows, 3 of the last 4 cars I recently looked at had undisclosed/unknown paint work done, that the PPI discovered. Two of the above were private parties. I believe that two out of three didn't know that any work had been performed, as they were duped by the "person" they purchased from. So, whether dealer, or private party, there is no substitute for a PPI from someone who knows paint/body work. If work is disclosed and explained, and done well, then it is acceptable in my book. When a person knowingly lies about history, even something as small as bumper repaint-it is a good indicater that they will lie about ANYTHING!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The one in the above picture is pretty bad! I guess only accident repair would show up in carfax, this may have been dings from the road repair. But still as an owner i would never have taken it in that contrast of colors!

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy sight unseen....