Sponsored by:

European Car Project 01 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

To bad after all these months...mainly filler.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

+100
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGNUM08

I think what they fail to mention is it a true budget car to maintain?? I've met many guys who purchased used 996TT's and when the servicing came due the car was down forever! plugs,clutch etc
Anyone who buys one of these cars thinking it is a really fast Accord has poop for brains. They can be expensive to maintain, but expense is relative.

Compared to a Honda it is expensive. Compared to its contemporaries from Ferrari, Lamborghini, et al... It is a bargain.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swallowing Porsche maintenance costs without hiccuping is much easier if you have owned or currently own an airplane. $1200.00 Bosch starters are about the same as $1200.00 starter for a 210. Only real difference is metric vs. SAE, and the Porsche mechanic smokes cigarettes.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGNUM08
'A 7- to 10-year-old 996TT can be purchased for anywhere between $25,000 and $45,000, depending on age and condition. And it is representative of a true budget supercar, as it once cost some poor (rich) soul well over $100,000"

I think what they fail to mention is it a true budget car to maintain?? I've met many guys who purchased used 996TT's and when the servicing came due the car was down forever! plugs,clutch etc
Spoken like someone who has never owned one from the sounds of it. Clutch is servicing now? Clutch jobs on most cars take time. However plugs don't take long to change. So not sure what you mean by "down forever". For example, my parents Saturn dropped a valve and was down for a week. I guess those Saturns must not be a "budget" car either. For the record my parents have spent more fixing their Saturn last year than I have my car.

Back on point, I drive my 996TT year round, in snow too, and the repairs/fixing it has needed over the last 2 years tend to be due to the mods I have made. Perhaps the same is true for your friends?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Solo where do you park all those rides?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Basic
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am waiting for the meat of the series, since I'm not supposed to talk about what was tested until after. Only so much can be written per article, but to elaborate on a few items from the latest article.

The first being the toyo proxes 1 tires, I've tracked and driven on tons of tires, street, r-comps and race slicks at the track. These tires are very impressive and preformed excellent in all conditions. Currently running on my second set, we have done considerable testing at all stages on them.

Second is the torsen LSD this addition was probably the biggest overall improvement to the car. Can't stress enough after testing every phase in both 2wd and awd the overall improvement to not only putting the power down but the positive effect on handling, especially in awd.

Overall maintenance for this higher mileage heavily tracked over the last 2 years has been many oil changes, a couple sets of brake pads, two sets of tires, sparkplugs, cleaning of the air filter and one drivers door window switch. One drivers side coolant hose to the water pump which failed at the track and cost ~$35.00, so I replaced both sides.

While I'd say these cars are not inexpensive to own they are far from expensive to repair or maintain.

I think the articles will be coming more frequently now, looking forward to the overall result of Project 996TT.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just heard that the final article in European Car came out. I have to run down and get my copy.

Quick Reply: European Car Project 01 996 TT