Sponsored by:

Hail damage question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:05 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hail damage question

Unfortunately, I go caught in a hail storm this morning. BB sized hail. I got to cover quickly, but there are a few pin-***** sized chips in the hood and rear deck. Average 1 every 3 or 4 inches.

It's not visible unless I get right up on it with my readers and take a hard look. If it was my truck, I wouldn't even bother with it.

My question is will the value be negatively affected more by leaving it alone, or having it sprayed and blended.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not have it resprayed, go with PDR (paintless dent removal).
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

PDR can do wonders but make sure you find the right one...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Most owners and buyers will give you a "pass" when you re-spray the front bumper cover and hood due to rock chips. However any place else usually causes speculation. If it's not bad, try to live with it. Or re-spray the bumper and hood. Silver is tough to match without blending other panels.

Sorry for the damage!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

PDR is the way to go. It is an art and the good ones leave no evidence behind!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 118 Posts

PDR
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No dents. just what I would call micro-chips (no relation to computers) Think about what you would get if your poked the point of a pin into your paint and gave it a slight jiggle.

I'm wondering if a good polish by a really skilled pro could take them out.

At any rate, it sound like the concensus is leave it alone. Like I said, you have to get right on top of it and be looking for the damage to see it.

Car still looks great from 3 feet away.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

you can take it to a body shop and let them decide if it can be sanded out and buffed. If they say its too deep, then youre in for paint.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And it is all covered by your insurance so I would do it correctly the first time.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With chips in paint, PDR isn't an option. dents or no dents, PDR obviously will not fix paint.

Good news is that hail is a Comprehensive claim and is not 'chargeable'.

Take very detailed pictures, get it repaired. Paint happens. I personally view high quality repaint as maintenance....
Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 AM
dc88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two of my vehicles damaged by hail a few years back. The body shops just wanted repair and spray.

I decided to do the PDR and was very pleased with the results. As mentioned earlier, this is an art so pick carefully and ask for recommendations. The people I used did a great job. You could not tell that any repair took place.

As far as the value? I have since sold one of my cars (BMW) and the Carfax clearly stated that I had an insurance claim due to hail ($4000). It did not affect the value at all. I sold it privately and was a non factor. I ended up selling above market value.

However, I am sure that a dealer will probably use this to bring down your value.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dc88
I had two of my vehicles damaged by hail a few years back. The body shops just wanted repair and spray.

I decided to do the PDR and was very pleased with the results. As mentioned earlier, this is an art so pick carefully and ask for recommendations. The people I used did a great job. You could not tell that any repair took place.

As far as the value? I have since sold one of my cars (BMW) and the Carfax clearly stated that I had an insurance claim due to hail ($4000). It did not affect the value at all. I sold it privately and was a non factor. I ended up selling above market value.

However, I am sure that a dealer will probably use this to bring down your value.
I guess I am confused...how did your "paintless" PDR repair the 'paint chips' from your hail damage?????
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

If paint is chiped/cracked and by running your finger over the paint edge,it catches your finger nail,then there's nothing a PDR can do... However if there's an indentation (dent/door ding) with out any paint issue,then that's not a problem at all.
Hope it helps..
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I know a great PDR guy in Houston, let me know if you want his contact info, he is brilliant.

Yasin
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I think you should get it fixed. These cars are not only great to drive, they are great to look at, and I think most of us enjoy cleaning/polishing/waxing them too. If you don't get the damage fixed, you are going to be seeing the chips every time you detail the car, and you are always going to know in the back of your mind that they're there. I'm sure you bought the car to enjoy it to its fullest, so do what it takes to put it back to "full enjoyment" status. Don't be concerned about diminished value; do what it takes to ensure you personally enjoy the car to the fullest and press on.

Quick Reply: Hail damage question