Sponsored by:

coolant leak front center

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak front center

I have a 03 turbo and i have already replaced the right side y hose about 6 months ago and today i drove it and after parking it i see coolant that looks like it is coming from the front center and running off the floor pan area. It is about 12" to 18" back from the front axle area. Does the left radiator hose run back that far? Any idea where to start looking?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteturbo
I have a 03 turbo and i have already replaced the right side y hose about 6 months ago and today i drove it and after parking it i see coolant that looks like it is coming from the front center and running off the floor pan area. It is about 12" to 18" back from the front axle area. Does the left radiator hose run back that far? Any idea where to start looking?
12-18" behind the front axle? Are you 100% sure it is coolant and not water from the a/c condenser?

If it is coolant, you might want to go under and pull the plastic pan under the front diff and get a better look. Just pry out the 2" long metal tabs that hold it in place.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default Coolant leak

Yes it is slick and left stains on floor so for sure i have a leak somewhere. The tabs you are talking about are they two on each side and easy to remove?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes it is slick and left stains on floor so for sure i have a leak somewhere. The tabs you are talking about are they two on each side and easy to remove?
There are IIRC 6 or maybe 8 spring metal tabs that hold the tray in place. They are about 1"x2" and you pry them off using a screwdriver. Please be sure to use jackstands or put the car on ramps before you go under.

Not to be argumentative, but I had a similar situation to yours. I had a coolant leak that I wiped up, and then had repaired. Some of the anitfreeze soaked into the floor, and then later, some a/c condenser water dripped on the floor as it usually does, and mixed with the coolant and I thought I had another leak. Turned out I didn't. you might try putting a tray under the car to catch the drip. Coolant does not dry very fast.

GL,

Jon
Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

smell it!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default Coolant Leak

I may not have a leak after reading the board i drove it with no ac on and after parking i had no leak. I replaced the y hose about 6 months ago and it was still cold weather so just maybe the coolant was still standing in the floor pan and the ac water caused it to run out. Lets hope so.
Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I may not have a leak after reading the board i drove it with no ac on and after parking i had no leak. I replaced the y hose about 6 months ago and it was still cold weather so just maybe the coolant was still standing in the floor pan and the ac water caused it to run out. Lets hope so.
Thanks for the help.
That would be the best of all possible outcomes!! Hope it's the case.

Jon
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default water leak front center

Thanks dantzig Looks like it was only ac water. I drove it a few times with no ac on and later when i ran to ac it looked like coolant again but was not. Glad i didn't start taking things apart looking for something that wasn't broken. This list is great.

Quick Reply: coolant leak front center