Sponsored by:

Pulling Plastic Trim

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pulling Plastic Trim

I've been researching options for new trim in the 996tt. It's all monochrome gray right now and needs a little contrast. I've been researching options and don't really want to lay out 2+ grand for CF or brushed aluminum. I've decided to paint with a light graphite. I have experience with painting automotive plastic with good long term results so that part is easy.

My question is relative to getting the pieces out of the car without messing them up. I don't see any screws so I assume tabs and friction hold them on.

I have trim removal tools. Are there any tricks I need to know before I start prying?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you talking interior trim etc?

There are plenty of DIY's to removing trim. That being said it also depends on how much you are removing. Doors etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 AM
SSST
Drifting

Sorry. Yes. Interior trim. Center console, center stack surround, Instrument surround, side vents. The doors are trimmed in full leather so I'll leave them alone.

I've pulled interior trim before, but just want to see if there is anything unique to the 996.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go the the macarbon website and look at the different trim pieces you want to remove. they usually have installation instructions which include the removal process. i have taken most the trim pieces out with the exception of the entire dash. pretty easy once you know where the hidden fasteners out.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are removing the center console, word of advice, tape up the emergency brake handle on the lower painted or leather portion. After you remove all the trim on the console, and are ready to pull it out, if you don't have it taped up, you will scratch the lever. So tape it up. I use the blue painters tape, no residual residue and easy to remove.

BTW Bumper Plugs offers paint options for trim, you may want to check them out. Click on the order tab to see your options:
http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html
Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 PM
SSST
Drifting

Great tip on the brake handle. Mine is full leather so i will definitely wrap it. I saw the bumper plugs site and that's what gave me the idea.

Thanks for the link Manny. That's what I was looking for.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:33 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Most helpful tip:

If you pry the wrong direction, you'll break something.

I'm sure you already knew that.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a DIY article for almost everything on our cars. The interior is the same for all 996 cars and the narrow body owners focus more on cosmetics, so don't limit your search to TT forums. I've ordered a painted rear center console from BP and will find the right way to take the old one out when the time comes. Either here, 6Speed, or Renntech will have it somewhere. Search.

Quick Reply: Pulling Plastic Trim