Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on a 2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:36 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on a 2002

I've been searching in earnest for a clean 2002-2005 966 TT for the last few weeks. I narrowed it down to a couple of cars - had one in my grasp, a 2003 Seal Gray, 43k miles that I could have had for $44k. Always serviced at the dealer, 2 owners, mint inside and out. The only drawbacks for me were 1) black instrument dials and 2) no heated seats. Unfortunately, the deal was plucked out of my hands before I could get the deposit down.

I set my sights on a local 2003 at a higher end used dealer, pretty mint, 29K miles and GT3 wheels. It's a 2 owner, great shape, but they're asking 52.9. I got the feeling they're not too willing to drop lower, but I hinted that I'd give them 51.9 out the door. The sales manager gave me the feeling that the owner would come down, but probably not that much. I felt that my figure was pretty realistic, and was ready to place an offer. However, I got the feeling that the car wasn't going anywhere, and I wanted to see what else would come along.

Last night, I happened to catch a new listing at a Porsche dealer, no pics, of a 2002 Silver/Black, 10.5k miles, 1 owner, always serviced at the dealer. Asking price was 55.9k. I got the feeling that it would move quickly, so I called the salesman there that I knew first thing this morning. He gave me the low-down - leather sports seats, white guages, heated seats, full leather interior trim (consoles, speaker trim, etc.), clear bra, totally mint. The only thing missing for me was the sport exhaust tips. I offered 52, they came back with 53.5, we settled on 53. Supposedly, while we were on the phone, there were 2 other inqueries. I gave my credit card, and I'll hopefully pick it up within a week.

Other Rennlisters will say that I paid too much, but I thought it was something that would be sold within a day or so. It was at Don Rosen, and I've noticed that they usually sell very low mile cars at reasonable prices. They want to move cars, and seem willing to deal to do so.

Now I'll probably turn my attention to getting my 928 ready to sell. I'd love to keep it, but we don't have the space.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Congrats on the Turbo.

Your logic on the price you paid seems solid. I wouldn't give it another thought. Enjoy the car.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Durango Kid
Rennlist Member

Congrats on your "new" car.

To put your mind at ease, 2002 is the best year and Silver/Black is the best color combo.

I've driven mine over 10,000 (s)miles in 9 months ... enjoy!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Let the mods begin!!!
Congrats. Might I suggest a flash from Kevin (UMW) and a louder exhaust?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
sfhondapilot
AutoX

Congrats on the purchase. Seems like you got very lucky in finding one so quickly.

I've been watching for about six months and there are two interesting ones in my area, both 2002's. One has 20k and the asking price has dropped from $54k to $50k. 2 owners. The second has 56k and the asking has also dropped, now at $40k. Really tempted to pull the trigger but I am reluctant to part with the M3 and I really can't justify adding another car without parting with one and can't rationalize adding another toy when I only drive the M3 about 2k / year.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by eugkim
I've been searching in earnest for a clean 2002-2005 966 TT for the last few weeks. I narrowed it down to a couple of cars - had one in my grasp, a 2003 Seal Gray, 43k miles that I could have had for $44k. Always serviced at the dealer, 2 owners, mint inside and out. The only drawbacks for me were 1) black instrument dials and 2) no heated seats. Unfortunately, the deal was plucked out of my hands before I could get the deposit down.

I set my sights on a local 2003 at a higher end used dealer, pretty mint, 29K miles and GT3 wheels. It's a 2 owner, great shape, but they're asking 52.9. I got the feeling they're not too willing to drop lower, but I hinted that I'd give them 51.9 out the door. The sales manager gave me the feeling that the owner would come down, but probably not that much. I felt that my figure was pretty realistic, and was ready to place an offer. However, I got the feeling that the car wasn't going anywhere, and I wanted to see what else would come along.

Last night, I happened to catch a new listing at a Porsche dealer, no pics, of a 2002 Silver/Black, 10.5k miles, 1 owner, always serviced at the dealer. Asking price was 55.9k. I got the feeling that it would move quickly, so I called the salesman there that I knew first thing this morning. He gave me the low-down - leather sports seats, white guages, heated seats, full leather interior trim (consoles, speaker trim, etc.), clear bra, totally mint. The only thing missing for me was the sport exhaust tips. I offered 52, they came back with 53.5, we settled on 53. Supposedly, while we were on the phone, there were 2 other inqueries. I gave my credit card, and I'll hopefully pick it up within a week.

Other Rennlisters will say that I paid too much, but I thought it was something that would be sold within a day or so. It was at Don Rosen, and I've noticed that they usually sell very low mile cars at reasonable prices. They want to move cars, and seem willing to deal to do so.

Now I'll probably turn my attention to getting my 928 ready to sell. I'd love to keep it, but we don't have the space.
Sounds ok to me.

These are great cars and the good unmolested ones with low miles go quickly.

Never second guess yourself. You made a decision based on the info you had at the time and you bought what will prove to be a great car.

These cars are not all bought by reason alone. There's some passion involved too. Which is ok. Otherwise, we'd seek out a car for which we had some passion and buy that car.

Post pics as soon as you can. BTW, my Turbo is arctic silver with black interior and I think it a classy combo. I feel like a Swiss banker driving the thing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about what you paid...enjoy the car. '02 is definitely the best...but I think red is better!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I agree congratulations, enjoy
Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are happy with the deal, that's all that matters. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

The 2003 was the real steal - I don't really mind the miles, even though 43k isn't so much for me to swallow. However, it was absolutely pristine, and all of the records were at Don Rosen (where I eventually bought).

The negatives for me with the car I bought - I really like the sport exhaust tips and I'm not sure about the sport seats. While I'm the only one who will drive, I still like electric seats with memory. I've never sat in the sport seats; I liked the supple leather ones and would have been happy with them.

I'm very happy about the white guages - I was resigned to having black ones, as all the cars I was considering had them. It also has a clear bra, which I think is a necessity in PA where the cinders on the highways seem to stay around until the summer. The 2003 that I lost out on had one as well. Saves me almost $1000 right off the bat.

Here are some pics the salesman emailed

Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

car looks good so far, enjoy it and don't think about the price.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 256 Posts

The leather interior package is a nice touch and many folks would prefer the sport seats. Congrates on a great car!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have full leather and carbon accents, but I can tell you my last 911 had the regular seats, and this one has the sport seats, driving in the sport seats is much better, then the standard seats. Yes you loose the memory and some of the full electric adjustments, but once you start drivng you will understand all that doesn't matter.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

congrats on the car...i have the full leather package and its a real nice touch. the sports seats are a great improvement over the std. prior to my tt, i had a cabrio with recaro sports seats. i ultimately removed and sold them when i got rid of the car. wish i had not, they would have fitted great on the turbo and better than the oem sport seats.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 AM
larry47us
Pro

The car looks really sweet. You seem to have the logic worked out on the car/mileage/cost. Don't give it another thought. You will make yourself crazy with the second guessing. You will love the sport seats. I like the look (my turbo has painted seat backs), but they are comfortable to the extreme. You will like them better with each mile.

I just wish that my car had white gauges. I really like that look. I guess that's something that I can do with my extra (what extra?) money this next year.

Can't wait to see pictures that you've taken of the beast.

larry

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a 2002