Sponsored by:

Moving to upstate NY- Should I sell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The irony here is that the car's only got 24k miles on it, so it's not like you're driving it much in Alabama either! Is it your 5th or 6th car? :P

On the other hand, you could probably get something in the 50s for that car w/the right buyer rather quickly if you did decide to sell it.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If he sells it he willget withdrawal symptoms, once he realizes the country side where he is igoing is made for a nice cruise machine!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Breeznn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved from Oklahoma to Northern New England a few years back and brought my C4 Cab with me. I parked it in the garage the first winter. New teen aged drivers in the house claimed my commuter car, so I then purchased spare wheels and winter radials for the next winter. The car did great in the snow and I commuted 40 to 50 miles each way to work, up and down I-95 without problem. They readily salt and sand the roads, which keeps them very passable. Come the next spring, the front bumper, hood and even the wind sheild all looked like *&%!!. I did this for one more winter including replacing a cracked windsheild before I sold the car and bought an R32.
I definitely had more opportunity for top down driving up here (Oklahoma is to hot for that during the day in the summer) and more senic destinations to drive to, but driving a nice car regularly in the winter here in the north east will take its toll.

I am currently searching for a 996 T and when I find one, it it will reside in my garage from December through March.

Keep that stunning car and really enjoy driving to some great near by locations, but don't subject it to the ravages north east winters. (Did I forget to mention what salt does to nice wheels?)
Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I drive mine all year long. They don't melt and they have good rustproofing. You won't like what the car is worth based upon what I paid for mine last July with less miles than yours.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it! We drive year round here in CNY... So, join the CNY region chapter and have some fun.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
TomTiddler
Rennlist Member

+1 on all those who said "Keep it and drive it". I've driven a C4 365 days a year for the last 10 years, last year I upgraded to a 996 TT X50, drove it all this Winter -- with good snows and rims, it's better than my wife's Cayenne S. Only thing that holds me up is more than 6" of fresh snow (just too deep Im afraid). BTW I'm up North of NY in Ontario.

Enjoy.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Originally Posted by CPTdooberhead
Now you sound like an Apache pilot
Nah, I'm a Challenger Pilot (Corp. Jet).
Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
If you only get to drive it half the year and then sit in the garage making vroom vroom sounds while sitting in it is better than being without 12 months of the year!
Don't listen to these guys!! Sell the car to a real nice guy who will take real good care of it in CA. That is, once he sells his GT3. And, BTW, he happens to be a retired brother-in-arms, too!!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

And the Vultures start to circle!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I am just a few hours to the west of Fort Drum in Rochester, and I have two 911 Turbo's, both tuned, and even for only 6 months a year, ownership is worth the winter wait. I say keep it.
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I love the division of seasons and the joy at getting my toy cars out every year. I keep mine stored dec, jan and feb. Rest of the year is great. Upstate NY has some of the best driving roads ever.

Tom
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
I am just a few hours to the west of Fort Drum in Rochester, and I have two 911 Turbo's, both tuned, and even for only 6 months a year, ownership is worth the winter wait. I say keep it.
Where did you get those headlight covers on your 6S? Both look great BTW.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

I drive mine all year also in the nasty New England weather - put film on the car and replace it as needed. It's the best winter driving car (on snow tires of course) I have ever owned. I have driven it on the highways in wet heavy snow at 8-10" deep and up a long driveway in 14" of the light powdery stuff - no issues - the looks you get from people on the highway is priceless!! It's one of the best times to take the car out and enjoy it in a whole new way.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Where did you get those headlight covers on your 6S? Both look great BTW.
Thanks.

They are Techart 996TT headlamp finishers, I got them from CEC (Claus Ettensberger) in Miami. I had my dealer's paint shop spray them factory black. The car is now in NJ @ Protosport getting a 4.2L (!) conversion-the goal is 800+ crank HP on 93 octane.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Intermediate

I've been stationed up at Drum since June and to be honest, the winter wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. No need for snow tires until December and by early March all the snow was melted. Granted it's still cold, but you could definitely drive the Porsche around now.

I'm picking up my 996tt from EPL on the 16th (previously Tony's car) so I can't comment on how driving it in the snow is, but I plan on buying some winter tires and having fun in some of the smaller snow storms :-) My 450whp B5S4 was a blast in the winter with some studded snows. No one is out driving around, so you have the whole road to yourself.

The roads are very straight up in this area so no real fun twisty stuff unless you go a hour or so east (towards lake placid). I plan on hitting up those roads as soon as it starts to warm up. The only real downside about having a Porsche up here is that you're going to stand out like a sore thumb. The area is *very* rural and I've only seen one other Porsche (an older boxster) since I've been up there. So you (we) will stand out. Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

Let me know when you PCS up here. It'll be nice to have another local gearhead to meet up with.

pic of the car for the heck of it:

Quick Reply: Moving to upstate NY- Should I sell?