Sponsored by:

Any info on this 03 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
"The single greatest benefit of CCBs, however, is their resistance to brake fade. With repeated use — especially at high speeds — brake temperatures can rise dramatically, causing performance to drop off. This is a common occurrence during racing, but can also occur if you ride your brakes down a long mountain grade rather than downshifting to take advantage of engine braking. In either case, the consequences can be disastrous. Unlike conventional brakes, CCBs are designed for outstanding performance at very high temperatures. Unless you're spending your weekends at the track, however, you probably won't be pushing your über brakes hard enough to find out just how great they are. And if you do manage to find out on the street, no need to brag to all your friends — they'll know all about it from the evening news."

As per the above tech article there is a compromise, and ceramic technology works better when hot. Be interesting to see 0 to 100 comparison on normal temp standard brakes vs: the PCCB's As far as acceleration let me know how much faster your car gets! My opinion from a performance standpoint and not being able to drive at Autobahn speeds, I can buy a lot of rotors and convert over to sport pads and 6 disc caliper for a heck of a lot less. Get get near the performance when the PCCB's get hot from a braking perspective.
Well, for many of us brake fading is not a problem. As I've metioned before I do not track my cars. But I do upon occasion use them in a spirited manner. Still I have never encountered any problems with the stock steel (cast iron) brakes. They are superb brakes.

But my car is constantly accelerating and deaccelerating and constantly the suspension is having to deal with road surface conditions.

Any single modifcation/option that can offer an improvement in all these areas is impressive in my opinion. Will one actually notice the difference? Some might, but for most of us probably not.

But so what? I have a car, two cars, that have more to offer than I can take advantage of. I admit it, I like owning an amazing car, two cars actually, that are the car standards to which other automakers strive to meet (or at least appear to meet) even though I do not use much of either car's potentional, just knowing the potential is there, is worth something to me, or I'd buy a lesser car and make Porsche engine sounds while I drove it.

Same with the PCCBs: Just knowing that their presence makes an exceptional braking system even better (granted in areas other than direct braking performance) and makes an exceptional car even better is worth something to me.

I have not encountered any braking tests where the PCCBs performed worse than the stock steel/iron brakes. Stopping distances are close, from the 1st to the last stop.

While I can't recall off-hand, but I'm sure I have come across (in the past) Porsche braking tests in which the stock brakes, steel/cast iron rotors and all, performed very well under severe braking testing. As I said above the stock Porsche brakes are very very good.

(I have read of some cars, not Porsches though, coming out worse for the experience, with the brakes smoking or even on fire due to the inability of even the stock brake system to deal with harsh/hard braking.)

If you want me to say it, I will: Adding PCCBs to an existing car that came with steel/cast iron brakes is not cost effective for most of us. For example: Even if I had PCCBs on my Boxster, now with over 240K miles, I'd still be under water, so to speak with the PCCBS. Even after all the miles, and the unremembered number of brake 'jobs' (pads and pads/rotors), I still have not spent near the same amount of money buying the stock factory replacement brake parts that even the most cheapest Porsche factory optioned priced PCCB would have cost me. IOWs, I'm still money ahead with the stock steel brakes.

But if at all possible, my next car (and hopefully a Porsche!) will almost certainly have PCCBs.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
If you do buy the car I might be willing to swap the (steel) brakes from my 03 Turbo for the PCCBs. Of course the swap will also include some cash.

I'll be easy on you though and not charge you too much to take those bad old PCCBs off your hands.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I will keep that in mind.. sounds like a great deal... for someone

Last edited by 2000gt3cup; 03-17-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mac, it's a personel descision! Not knocking anyone who does it, my only point is as we use our daily drivers the costs greatly outweigh the benefits. But I will say I love to see them at night running at the 12hrs of Sebring, they glow bright red and look pretty cool! Enjoy the ride!!!!!!! :-)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Cosmo007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car has had a lot of upgrades, so if you could buy it for less than $50K, it would probably be a lot of fun and will run like a bat out of hell.

GOOD LUCK !

Quick Reply: Any info on this 03 996TT