Sponsored by:

Any info on this 03 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 AM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on this 03 996TT

I am considering buying this car and wondered if anyone has any info or opinion on this car and its price. I never had a Turbo so know little about them..I am considering selling my '00 Cup car and recently completed 99 Spec Boxster.. so as you can see all together different rides.. any opinion is greatly appreciated.

here are the links

ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_7821wt_1002

dealer site
http://www.craveluxuryauto.com/web/2...0Carrera-Turbo
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Very nice looker
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like a great street/track combo with some nice goodies. I've never been a big fan of the Techart kits. But then again, I really prefer the OEM aero units
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Centauro97
Track Day

Can't comment on the price other than it's over $50K. Probably reasonable given the PCCBs, which are a plus or minus depending on their condition.

I'd get a PPI through a Porsche dealership. Porsche mechanics are **** about the most minute detail. They'll probably gag over the non-Porsche parts but for the engine core and transmission and the brakes they'll be worth the money spent(especially if there's a chip on a PCCB rotor that other mechanics wouldn't care about).

Do a CarFax check.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked at the car on ebay too and pulled up the factory options on the car. It was originally very low optioned. All the stuff you see has been added. My question is why would someone add so much costly stuff and then sell it for a loss? Had the car been damaged before the mods? Was it raced or tracked? Often times a seller will come out better returning a car close to stock and separately selling high end race parts. Lots of questions on this car.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it may be modded, what do you guys think?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gt3cup
I am considering buying this car and wondered if anyone has any info or opinion on this car and its price. I never had a Turbo so know little about them..I am considering selling my '00 Cup car and recently completed 99 Spec Boxster.. so as you can see all together different rides.. any opinion is greatly appreciated.

here are the links

ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_7821wt_1002

dealer site
http://www.craveluxuryauto.com/web/2...0Carrera-Turbo
Heavily mod'd and tracked.

Not what I look for in a used car I want to own.

I'd give it a miss.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet tracked heavily
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

thanks everyone... my use will be strickly track ... love the thought of the HP / torque but do not want to buy time bomb.. just got off the phone with the servicing dealer.. says that car was moded by Evolutionm in AZ-- http://www.evoms.com -- in late 05 early 06 ran it for that year then bought a Cup car and only used the Turbo occasionally after that... PCCB imo are negative ...other than motons does not appear any other suspension work done...got to do some more checking before I do a PPI etc
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Wink

Originally Posted by 2000gt3cup
thanks everyone... my use will be strickly track ... love the thought of the HP / torque but do not want to buy time bomb.. just got off the phone with the servicing dealer.. says that car was moded by Evolutionm in AZ-- http://www.evoms.com -- in late 05 early 06 ran it for that year then bought a Cup car and only used the Turbo occasionally after that... PCCB imo are negative ...other than motons does not appear any other suspension work done...got to do some more checking before I do a PPI etc
If you do buy the car I might be willing to swap the (steel) brakes from my 03 Turbo for the PCCBs. Of course the swap will also include some cash.

I'll be easy on you though and not charge you too much to take those bad old PCCBs off your hands.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Mac, why would you want them unless you were tracking the car?? The rotors themselves will cut into the wallet big time.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Mac, why would you want them unless you were tracking the car?? The rotors themselves will cut into the wallet big time.
Because they should last a very long time if the car is not tracked. Once the high cost of replacing rotors is removed, the main benefit - weight savings - is very apparent. Most who track their cars remove the PCCBs.

To the OP - if its going to be primarily a track car - it looks like its already got some nice goodies. I wouldn't pay a premium for the mods, but if you're going to track it, and its passes a PPI, might be a go.

I'm with Dell though, don't like the bodykit at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

A few pounds in weight savings on a street car? Seems a little overkill, these brakes in order to provide the stopping power they are capable of, need to be heated up as in all composite type brake systems. If run too cool the braking distance compared to the non PCCB could not be as good. So it's more than weight savings. I don't think on the street the weight savings of the PCCB's is a recognizable issue as it relates to a daily driver. Of all my Carrera's the stock brakes have always lasted a long time. That is based on the weight of the car vs: the size of the braking surface of which Porsche is known for.
As far as those who track their cars remove them, I can understand that, because most are not on a racing budget, but as it relates to a race team they use them and can bear the expense since the braking power is more aggressive.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Longer component life. (Tech told me one time that the way I drive -- mainly high speed commuting and touring -- a set of PCCBs would last the life of the car.)

Reduced dust.

And much reduced weight right where it does the most good.

Everybody agrees on the advantages of a LWFW.

Well, replacing 4 heavy steel (cast iron) disc brakes with much lighter PCCBs is like 4 times as good as going to a LWFW.

With the PCCBs installed there is less weight to accelerate, less weight to slow down, less unsprung weight. The car accelerates better, slows/stops better, and holds the road better.

Just what one wants in a sports car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

"The single greatest benefit of CCBs, however, is their resistance to brake fade. With repeated use — especially at high speeds — brake temperatures can rise dramatically, causing performance to drop off. This is a common occurrence during racing, but can also occur if you ride your brakes down a long mountain grade rather than downshifting to take advantage of engine braking. In either case, the consequences can be disastrous. Unlike conventional brakes, CCBs are designed for outstanding performance at very high temperatures. Unless you're spending your weekends at the track, however, you probably won't be pushing your über brakes hard enough to find out just how great they are. And if you do manage to find out on the street, no need to brag to all your friends — they'll know all about it from the evening news."

As per the above tech article there is a compromise, and ceramic technology works better when hot. Be interesting to see 0 to 100 comparison on normal temp standard brakes vs: the PCCB's. There is another variable that hampers the true effect of PCCBs, it's street tires! As far as acceleration let me know how much faster your car gets! My opinion from a performance standpoint and not being able to drive at Autobahn speeds, I can buy a lot of rotors and convert over to sport pads and 6 disc calipers for a heck of a lot less. Get get near the performance when the PCCB's get hot from a braking perspective.

Not trying to be difficult, but it seems to me there are other options that come very close when it comes to US highway speeds and daily driving as oppsed to a set of 15K brakes.

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 03-16-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Any info on this 03 996TT