Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to clean out the rads and make some screens as well.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Decided to clean out the rads and make some screens as well.

Decided since I haven't done this yet it would be a good idea before my track event in 2 weeks. Thinking back to the times I have done my others, the amount of crap in there was going to be bad. When I did my wife's CAB when we were out in Vegas I found one of those "skin" pamphlets the street guys hand out!

Amazing the amount of crap that accumulates in these cars. And what you can see just looking into your front bumper is the tip of the iceberg. See the pics below. And these pics are just for one side!

I am going to build some custom fit screens to go in front of the three openings to cut down on the intake of all the debris. I'll post those pics as the screens are being done.
Attached Images      
Old 03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
gunther1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to make a second set of screens? I'm getting ready to do my annual radiator cleaning and agree screens would do a good job reducing the amount of debris.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Let me see how the first set goes
Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
When I did my wife's CAB when we were out in Vegas I found one of those "skin" pamphlets the street guys hand out!
Convenient place to hide that evidence... so I assume since YOU clean the radiators it was a pamphlet YOU picked up.

Would that be correct?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

If by picked up you mean sucked up into the rads while cruising Las Vegas BLVD, then yes
Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM
gunther1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Let me see how the first set goes
Works for me
Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a lot of crap! Dell is the take away for the Turbo same as the 996?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

I have to do it once a year especially after fall drives all these nice red leafs end up in that corner.... Please LVDell Post some pics after you install the net....
Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

How hard is it to get the nose on and off?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

The crap collects courtesy of the radiator fans. These cars are basically hoovers when the fans are running, sucking up everything that comes close to the radiator ducts.

I've cleaned my Boxster ducts out several times and have pics that show similar amount of trash.

The Turbo ducts have been cleaned a few times when the car was in for other things (warranty work) and the tech everytime I take the car in uses shop air to blow the stuff out. I know this doesn't get all the stuff out that collects between the A/C condensor and the radiator but from my peering inside the amount of trash is not eough to cause me to remove the bumper cover and do a more thorough job of cleaning.

Regarding the screens.... Under some conditions the screens can block some air flow. I know this is going to cause some dispute but for instance radiators as porous/open as they look above a certain speed act more like a brick wall than a radiator. This is why the fans are there. To overcome that tendency.

Unless the grill openings are quite, well, open, they'll do the same. Enough to compromise cooling? I can't say.

But one has to suppose that whatever Porsche uses for those openings was chosen to offer some protection and yet not interfere with the considerable air that must flow through the opening in order to keep the engine cool.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chaos
Pretty easy.

For what it's worth - I did mine soon after I bought the car.

Note that I've seen no difference in displayed temperature since fitting them - and even if they did significantly affect airflow (which I don't believe they do) - it's going to have a lot less effect than having a section of your radiators completely blocked by leaves etc.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Easy. You remove the bumper cover (page 930 of the repair manual) and after you got two big scoop, one on each side to take off...

If you are a contributor on Renntech.org you can find the instruction here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...-front-bumper/

Last edited by jpflip; 03-01-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Gregg.....if you need any help let me know. It's pretty straight forward but can be a bugger the first time as there is always one hidden screw. When I get a sec, I'll list the steps (and number of screws) I had to remove and their locations when I get a sec.

As far as the screens. I saw ZERO difference in engine temps when I ran the screens on my GT3 before and after. Especially with the 3 rads on these cars, there is plenty of cooling. Heck, I can't even get the temp up on cool days! I would almost venture to guess that it is either BETTER with the screens or a wash when there is as much crap in there when you don't have screens!

Dave.....which method did you use to install your screens? What material did you use? Did you paint or powdercoat them? Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...=Grill+Screens

You can also get the Service manual from me if you PM me...

Just in case you needed it...GrillCustoms is the stuff we used for Landjet's and mine, along with my GT2s.

Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Gunther, You can HAVE the ones that are currently on my 996TT's, once we swap out the turbo buper for the GT2's!

Mike

Originally Posted by gunther1
Works for me

Quick Reply: Decided to clean out the rads and make some screens as well.