Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former Air Cooled owners who now own Turbos..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by puma
JP, you car is asking for mods. Don't worry, once everything wil be changed, you'll be good as new

Sorry to hear you are thinking about getting rid of it, hope you won't find a buyer
I had to vent a bit of frustration but my car is not for sale yet Alex... May be I'm just getting old and grumpy....
Old 02-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
the economics of this model are outrageous....
And how! Is there anything close?

Maybe the earlier Covette Z06, (bought in the 20-25k range) but you cannot mod the HP and TQ like the 996T.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 1987 911 Carrera that I drove for 9 years before I bought the turbo. That car had its idiosyncrasies, but it was fun to drive. I own the car mostly for doing DE's and occasional fun drives on the street. I went with the turbo because I wanted a faster car. Succeeded at that! There are only a very few cars that ever pass me on the track in DE. OTOH, I also have upgraded turbos and suspension to really make it go.

But I also agree with JP - this is the least reliable car I have ever owned. I've had maintenance issues from one end to the other: from hoses blown off the front radiator to spoiler hydraulics failure in the rear, and a lot of stops in between. Those include wheel bearings, stripped caliper/spindle threads, diverter valves, broken air pump line, CV joints, coil packs. I know that I have forgotten (or repressed) something.

But also like JP, when the weather improves and I get out driving the thing, my disposition will improve.

Jon
Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 AM
aircooled77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 964 C2 for a couple of years, which I then sold (with a heavy heart) as it was tough to drive in the local environment (temperature in summer exceeds 120F), roads are not in the best condition, and I was experiencing endless technical issues with the car.

I then sold it, looking to buy a 993 Coupe, which I wasn't able to find in more than a year. When a friend needed to sell his 996TT, as he relocated back to Canada, I bought it thinking that I'd try whether it might be "love at second sight", and since I really wanted to have a 911 again.

Although I have recently been offered significantly more for the 996 TT than what I paid for it, I decided quickly to keep it and have not been looking for the 993 since. Yes, everything might be "too" perfect and a bit on the soft side, and I can still understand the fascination of a 993 / 964. Nevertheless, the 996 TT is an awesome everyday supercar, and "cartoon quick" as mentioned before on this thread is the right word. I am convinced that I would miss the performance, and looks, of the 996 TT if I switched back to aircooled (993). More than I miss the charisma of the aircooled Porsches now.

Last edited by aircooled77; 02-27-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,468 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I am also one who has upgraded. Owned an '85 Carrera, drove it on the street, tracked it, did almost all maintenance work myself, did everything with it. Loved it.

Just bought an '01 TT and sold the '85 without hesitation. The TT is very different but still a Porsche and so much easier to drive every day, so civilized. There is not much maintenance on a TT. Though changing plugs is a bit of an adventure.

Find someone with a TT and ask for a test drive.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 AM
David996TT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have just purschased a 03 TT. I still have my 03 964c2. Totally different cars. Was blown away by the power of the Turbo compared to the 964. Would love to keep the 964 but bit expensive to keep both. The TT is a so much easier car to drive though.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The early 911 had that death spin tendancy, while as Porsch progressed, they came to realize that lower mounting of the engine, wider rear tires, and change in suspension actually made the rear engine car sane that could be pushed. So as nostalgic as the early 911 were and are, there is no driving comparison as the 996's.

Quick Reply: Former Air Cooled owners who now own Turbos..