Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Flash UMW / EPL

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Tony,

Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I should have been more clear as I don't doubt that a tuner could write the code if they had the proper background. You seem to be the exception to the rule where your shop is based on your background being able to tune as well as create a program. With that said, I would bet that most tuners do NOT have the background you do.

When I think of a tuning shop I don't think CS engineer. I think mechanical/chassis engineer. You being able to bring your CS background to the table is a huge plus in my opinion and the reason why you and your shop are one of the more respected shops for tuning these cars.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
We actually do write our own code. I'm software engineer with degree in computer science. I wrote software in the in the corporate world for a number of years before opening EPL.

Our flash loader, data logger and tunes have all been produced in house here in CT. There are at least 2 other tuners in the US that are doing most/all coding in house, neither one are very big in the 996tt world.
Wow Tony I had no idea! Makes me even more happy that I have your tune. As you mention, this is pretty rare in the tuning industry.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm glad Tony came forward with his background, as I was reading this thread wondering if I should offer that up...Tony's background is rare and unique in the 996TT tuning world and constitutes what makes EPL a great choice in 996TT tuning.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D II
I'm glad Tony came forward with his background, as I was reading this thread wondering if I should offer that up...Tony's background is rare and unique in the 996TT tuning world and constitutes what makes EPL a great choice in 996TT tuning.
I guess I picked some great first mods then John!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I knew one of the best ECU guys in the world. Perhaps the #1 in the world in his era. He is now dead, but in his day he did code for at least one F1 team. Not a CS guy. I know a ton of brilliant CS guys. Some I would never let near my car.

Tony is good, but others are too. In the end, support and the ability of a vendor to "help you when you need it, to be there" trumps all. Both of these vendors do that.

While we are having one of these threads, might as well talk about exhausts and engine oil.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-16-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
We actually do write our own code. I'm software engineer with degree in computer science. I wrote software in the in the corporate world for a number of years before opening EPL.

Our flash loader, data logger and tunes have all been produced in house here in CT. There are at least 2 other tuners in the US that are doing most/all coding in house, neither one are very big in the 996tt world.

As high a recommendation as I can give on this one, fellas.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

I guess I picked some great first mods then John!
Yes you did, the best! :-)
Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Os Inspector
this is directed to the people who use softronic tunes, as one person is writing the code for multiple tuners. ive researched this and know who actually tunes their own flashes.
Os, I bought a car that has Softronic tuning. I don't know the ins or outs of it. I only know that when I kick the car in the gas, it leaps forward, even in low RPM's in 2nd gear.

I don't know who wrote it, or how many HP's or ftlbs of Torque I get. I just feel myself being pushed back into the seat, and the skin that was on my cheeks slides back to cover my ears. Maybe that's why I need a new exhaust system, so that I can hear the engine through my cheeks.

And I know a lot of companies that hire programming outside. I've done it myself. The question is not whether I have my own programmer. The question is - can I communicate what I want to the programmer so that he does exactly what I wanted? If the answer is yes, then does it really matter who is doing the programming?

larry
Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Cosmo007
Intermediate

Don't go anywhere else other than UMW, as Kevin stands behind everything he does and Kevin should ALWAYS be the first person you check with before you do any mods on your Porsche. Kevin will save you money in the long run, as he will keep you form waisting money on stuff you do not need, or mods that are good & sound for your Porsche.

JIM in Texas
Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cosmo007
Don't go anywhere else other than UMW, as Kevin stands behind everything he does and Kevin should ALWAYS be the first person you check with before you do any mods on your Porsche. Kevin will save you money in the long run, as he will keep you form waisting money on stuff you do not need, or mods that are good & sound for your Porsche.

JIM in Texas
While I am very positive Kevin is an exceptional tuner, I am sure there are others as well. To say he is the only one is a tad over the top considering what others have done in tuning this platform. No disrespect to Kevin and UMW intended.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
prche951
Intermediate

good recommendations here. I have UMW tune and love it. UMW, EPL and Protomotive provide their own tuning. Talking to these three in person(phone) will only confirm their wealth of knowledge. Most of us know what we have read on the forums or have done in a limited way on our cars, but these guys live and breathe these cars.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo007

JIM in Texas
Really?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know Kevin but I do hear good things about him. I do know Tony @EPL he has worked and tuned my cars....... all I can say is you won't be disappointed!
Elliot
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What boost pressure do these guys provide on basic 93 octane no other mods?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Cosmo007
Intermediate

Don't even think twice and go with KEVIN at UMW. Kevin is the man and a real Porsche guru and will save you from waisting a lot of $ money in the long run. Kevin is ALWAYS available and a wealth of knowledge too. He honors all his work and his customer service is tops !

JIM in Texas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU Flash UMW / EPL