Sponsored by:

ECU Flash UMW / EPL

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
reddswiss
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Flash UMW / EPL

What are the differences between UMW and EPL?

I hope to keep the mod's simple - exhaust, flash, DV's and probably a clutch when needed.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd suggest contacting the vendors directly ask them. No better source than the ones that do it. Kevin is here on the boards and can give you all the info you need.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'd suggest contacting the vendors directly ask them. No better source than the ones that do it.
+1.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:30 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure either one will do a great job for you.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red, Kevin = UMW = UltimateMotorWerks

Do a search on UMW and you will find many satisfied customers on this forum. I am going to upgrade to his flash this summer.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Seattle996
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Each flash is going to give you a power jump that will put a smile on your face ear to ear. Both places are respected.

I started with a UMW flash.. it turned into his UMW Stage2a turbo upgrade.

Its hard to say which flash is better because both are night and difference over stock. I picked Kevin and love the decision.. car is a monster w/ UMW..
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Their are many good tuners out there. I run EPL and like the tune and the service. I rode in an EPL car before I made my decision and I think you should get rides in cars to see how they feel with different tunes. I have heard the UMW tune is good too. Do your homework and don't rely on just one forum for your info. You will find some forums more biased than others. No tuner uses magic for their tunes. Most of them use the same bag of tricks and remain competitive based on pricing and service quality.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Most of them use the same bag of tricks
Can you elaborate on that? I have no tune currently and would be interested what that means.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Os Inspector
Rennlist Member

Can you elaborate on that? I have no tune currently and would be interested what that means.
this is directed to the people who use softronic tunes, as one person is writing the code for multiple tuners. ive researched this and know who actually tunes their own flashes.

Kevin at UMW
Protomotive (tuning my car)
EPL

these people above here tune their own cars and all provide an excellant product.
Kevin likes to tune cars under 750hp
EPL has done some big builds but mostly under 800whp kits that ive seen
Protomotive has tuned the highest Horsepower monster builds that have been created.

GIAC (ive not had good expereince with one of their older flashes but doesn't mean they cant have a better product now)
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep one thing in mind when talking to the vendors....

torque. And, what that will then make you buy.

It is not just HP.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I mean is don't expect some huge difference in different flashes. Most of the tuners in $1000-1200 range offer great tunes that offer very similar HP and tq increases over stock. You have to then make a descision based on customer service/support, reputation and other small tune details that you like specifically (ie how the boost peaks and if the boost hits hard or is smooth). I know a few tuners offer options for launch control in their tunes which may also be a deciding factor. Know the vendor and get a ride in a flashed car and use those experiences to make your decision.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So, from what I gather, there are two types of tunes. "off the rack" and "couture"

The off the rack is more of a one size fits all and pre-written tune.
The couture is more of a custom program based on what the tuner hears from you about your mods, needs, likes, etc.

Sound more like it?

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would highly doubt that most tuners actually write the code for the specific tuning software. Generally this requires someone that is solely skilled in computer programming. The programmer develops the software with the tuners input to create a set of parameters that the tuner can adjust through the software. The tuners skill is in understanding the parameters and how it affects the engine's performance. Ideally you have your car tuned on a dyno by the tuner opposed to off the shelf. That said, generally speaking, an off the shelf tune is usually not as aggressive, and as long as certain aspects like octane available, elevation, and modifications are taken into consideration, they are safe. These days with datalogging, it is very easy to modify an off the shelf tune regardless of location. I believe both Kevin and EPL offer this service.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

agree that the tuner doesn't write the code. they would need to contract that work out to somebody with knowledge in writing the code for our specific cars.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Tony@epl
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

agree that the tuner doesn't write the code. they would need to contract that work out to somebody with knowledge in writing the code for our specific cars.
We actually do write our own code. I'm software engineer with degree in computer science. I wrote software in the in the corporate world for a number of years before opening EPL.

Our flash loader, data logger and tunes have all been produced in house here in CT. There are at least 2 other tuners in the US that are doing most/all coding in house, neither one are very big in the 996tt world.

Quick Reply: ECU Flash UMW / EPL