Sponsored by:

Lighter flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lighter flywheel

Has anyone replaced their flywheel with a lighter one?
I'm doing a few upgrades to the car this year, incl. performance exhaust, UMW flash, wastegate kit, DV's. My mechanic mentioned I could consider a light flywheel, but he also warned me that if I did buy one, it might not be as pleasant to drive through town at low rev's. I use this car on a daily basis in the summer to go to work through town (lights, stopsigns located on hills, traffic, etc) so I dont want to do anything to the car that might make it a lousy town car.
Having said that--the devil in me has always craved a GT3RS!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an AASCO aluminum flywheel. It takes a little to get used to, but not too bad after. Just sucks if you try to let someone else drive your car! Which is rare for me...

Also has a little noise if you let out the clutch in neutral at lights, etc. I usually don't so I don't notice much noise, but depends on your style... The lighter weight doesn't dampen the gear noise as much...

Some people have the thought that the heavier flywheel is better for turbo cars. Theory is that the car will build up more heat via more load and spool the turbos faster... IDK, I didn't really notice a ton of performance difference myself...
Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
Has anyone replaced their flywheel with a lighter one?
I got my LWFW from Kevin at UMW...love it.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I love my LWFW... Faster revs, Heel-Toe shifting is smoother and more precise, and the mechanical sound is that of a true exotic...

Mike
Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I love my LWFW... Faster revs, Heel-Toe shifting is smoother and more precise, and the mechanical sound is that of a true exotic...

Mike
but what is it like when driving in town with lots of slow stop & gp conditions?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really not that much difference in driving around town, a really worthwhile upgrade and you might need to change the clutch eventually with the flash so just buy Kevin's kit since you went with everything else from him. And i beleive his clutch kit is actually cheaper than other kits on the market and is all made with OEM parts so this means quality

You certainly won't regret it but personnaly, i would wait until the clutch starts slipping.
The following users liked this post:
JESSter76 (08-08-2019)
Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Mine isn't stock so my impression wont be like yours. I have way over 500whp and torque and zero issues lugging the motor in rush hour traffic!

Mike
Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
akfalar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throttle response is much crisper, and hey, the temperamental attributes that come with make it feel allot more sophisticated, Lol.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Mine isn't tempermental at all... Of course I have a full trans rebuild in and Fibertuff clutch material works well with the GT2 slave conversion to give great feel. That and the 997SSk work well with the UMW/Clutchmasters clutch/PP/LWFW to make for a great setup...did I mention stupid fast revs?

Mike
Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Cosmo007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't even think twice, go with the light weight flywheel and call Kevin @ UMW to get it. The ONLY caveat is you will notice some clutch chatter at idle, but it is well worth the noticeable difference as the
light weight 9 lb flywheel that you can get from Kevin will help your turbos spool that much quicker, as the factory flywheel is like 26 - 28 lbs I believe.

Just DO IT !

Jim in Texas
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 AM
targa72e
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When I purchased my car it already had a LWF (asco) and upgraded clutch. I purchased out of state and hada PPI done and the shop that did the ppi said the car was hard to drive with LWF and performace clutch. I had a ASCO in my Audi S4 that I loved and figured the guys that did the PPI were wimps. When I picked the car up I could not believe how hard it was to drive. The clutch engaged at the very end of the travel and was like a on/off switch. I was quite sad as the car was so hard to drive it was not at all fun. When I researched upgraded clutch and LWF I found many saying that this was just the way it was. I decided to do the GT2 slave modification before looking at replacing the clutch and LWF. Wow what a night and day difference. The car now drives like normal with easy clutch engagement. It has the nice responce to throttle that only a LWF can give. It is quite noisy at idle with the clutch out. Sounds like something under the car is comming apart. Push in the clutch and all is quiet. I think if I was purchasing parts myself I might go with somithing with a little more weight like the RS flywheel which is a non-dual mass steel. You might want to see if someone local has a car with a LWF and upgraded clutch you could drive/listen to.

john
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by targa72e
You might want to see if someone local has a car with a LWF and upgraded clutch you could drive/listen to.

john
Good idea
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
drbooba1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact the Kanata Ford Porsche guys, John specifically, they should be able to set you up.

http://www.speedmerchants.com/pages/speed-merchants
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Kevin's LWFW and clutch. 4 years going strong...awesome support too...it is really an OEM RS unit from a 964 (not sure, but I think this is it...) that works perfectly.

Would not go back.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

seems like 9lbs is too light for nearly 2ton car for the street. Ran a 12lb flywheel on a air cooled drag engine and that was about the practical limit for a VW.

Anyone know the actual weight of the RS flywl?

Quick Reply: Lighter flywheel